WaterPROOF pants

cohunt

People that are using "waterproof" hunting pants-- let's hear your reviews--pro's & con's please

I Was just caught in a heavy WET spring snow storm this morning while attempting to turkey hunt and my "outer layer water proof pants" got me wet in the knees and seat.

I'm looking for lightweight outer layer real waterproof pants. Most are called waterproof, yet in fine print most say "water resistant "

I like non insulated lightweight so I can layer for any temp. Don't really want to pay super premium Sitka prices but if it keeps me dry then I'm willing to as long as I know they will keep me dry-- gotta be quiet--- no noisy frog togs rain gear type.

I looked at scheels today and they had "scent lock", Sitka, & store brand scheels for $70, $400, $150
Also have a bass pro, and sportsmans close too.

What have you worn that keeps you dry???

Kuiu makes excellent rain gear, and I have both their Northridge and Chugach lines. With fabric being porous there is really no way to make it water proof, only water resistant. In high contact areas like your knees and seat, it will eventually wet out unless there is some kind of synthetic material in those specific regions. In my experience, rain gear is typically an area where you get what you pay for. I would look at a pair of their Yukon rain pants if you want quality and dependability.

https://www.kuiu.com/yukon-rain-pant/40006.html?dwvar_40006_color=Valo&cgid=bottoms-rain#start=2

Agree with the above on the KUIU yukons but, if you want completely water impervious you need PVC rubberized rain gear like Helly Hanson's or grundens. Popular up here for both commercial fishermen and moose hunting, I have some green bibs and love them. They're hot as all get out in the sun because they don't breathe, but if you're sitting in mud or getting sprayed with ice cold salt water they'll keep you dry!

Kuiu Yukons are my go-to wet pant.
Zip to hip makes easy on/off over boots. I use them in pouring rain, snow, glassing while sitting in wet locations. Never had swamp *** with them.

I have a pair of core 4 element waterproof pants that I've been using for several years. Core 4 is no longer in business but you still find their stuff for sale occasionally. They are fairly quiet. With them and a pair of decent gaiters I've hunted in pretty good snow storms and rain storms and never been wet. I usually wear a pair of merino wool long underwear under the pants, keeps the sticky feeling at bay. While I have set on the wet ground at times I have never set there for extended periods. My hunting style is mostly on the move with short periods stopping to glass and maybe have a snack. Mainly I archery hunt for elk so quiet is important to me. Good luck with your search.

Recent Posts