PA deer load for Remington 308 16.5" barrel

md66948

I have 3 sons who hunt Deer with me. We all use 30-06. I just started planning to work up some loads using the Hornady A-Max bullet in 165 grain for each rifle.

Two of my son's just informed me that they each bought New Remington 700s in 308 with a 16.5" barrel and they want to use them for deer this year. One son will be using his AAC 7.62-SDN-6 suppressor on his new rifle.

Any suggestions for a good deer load in 308 using a 16.5" barrel with a 1-10 twist? I would prefer to use the A-MAX 165 grain bullet for both 30-06s and the new 308s. I am open for suggest to other bullets.

I now have four 30-06s and two 308s to work up loads for this season.

Your advice will Greatly Be Appreciated!

Dane

For the 308 Varget, RL15 or IMR 4895 should get you were you want to go. With the 308 you really don't loose all that much velocity when you start shortening the barrel like some other calibers.

I have a 20 1/2" barrel custom 700 in 308 that I have found is a real deer killer with 46 grs IMR 4895 and the 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. This is a game bullet and not a varmint bullet. I use it in all my 30 cal weapons. Just keep impact velocity under 3000 fps and it really kills deer in their tracks.

Not sure about PA but check you states regulations. Many states don't allow suppressors to be used for hunting.

208g amax for all of them use R15

Is that a type O "208g"?

PA does allow hunting with suppressors. I have a copy of a response letter from the PA Game Commission concerning this subject. I did not write the letter to them, a friend did but he told me I could share this response letter if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the advice!

Dane

My 700 LTR with a 20" barrel loves 44.5 grains of varget and 165 grain ballistic tips. It will shoot clover leafs all day long!

44.5 of Varget with the 165gr bullet seem to be the best all around load. Have used it
in several 308's and so far only one didn't shoot a good group. That rifle liked H414....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.