308 win load for savage 30in barrel

gilmillan1

Hello guys,

I just got a new savage f/tr in 308. it has a 30 inch tube and a 12 twist. I am looking for ideas for my load work. any recommendations are well appreciated. I think I will be shooting the 168 vld, unless you guys have a better recommendation.

I will be using this gun strictly for f-class shooting in 600 yard matches.

Gil

Hello guys,

I just got a new savage f/tr in 308. it has a 30 inch tube and a 12 twist. I am looking for ideas for my load work. any recommendations are well appreciated. I think I will be shooting the 168 vld, unless you guys have a better recommendation.

I will be using this gun strictly for f-class shooting in 600 yard matches.

Gil
Fire formed Lapua brass
Brass was neck sized only using bushing .002" smaller than loaded OD
Neck very slightly expanded using Sinclair .307 expander mandrel
BR-2 primer
44.5 gr Varget
168 gr sorted base to ogive A-Max
2.817" OAL AVG

A 14 YOA JR took the 600 yard F-TR match with this load this past weekend with a 197 followed by a 198 shooting a factory Savage F/TR while competing in his first match. This load has additionally shot well in another of my F-TR factory rifles. The A-Max may not be the best preferred bullet but for the price they work great and can occasionally take a match or two.

I have not used the 168 VLD in the factory Savage but have used the 168 Hybrid. For the 168 gr bullets the A-Max has produced better results for me.

Good luck!

Fire formed Lapua brass
Brass was neck sized only using bushing .002" smaller than loaded OD
Neck very slightly expanded using Sinclair .307 expander mandrel
BR-2 primer
44.5 gr Varget
168 gr sorted base to ogive A-Max
2.817" OAL AVG

A 14 YOA JR took the 600 yard F-TR match with this load this past weekend with a 197 followed by a 198 shooting a factory Savage F/TR while competing in his first match. This load has additionally shot well in another of my F-TR factory rifles. The A-Max may not be the best preferred bullet but for the price they work great and can occasionally take a match or two.

I have not used the 168 VLD in the factory Savage but have used the 168 Hybrid. For the 168 gr bullets the A-Max has produced better results for me.

Good luck!

Pulled a target in the pits yesterday for a teenage girl who shot a 199 x9 at 600 yards prone. I think great eyesight and muscle control trumps great loads for some of these very good young shooters. That's my excuse anyways. :)

Pulled a target in the pits yesterday for a teenage girl who shot a 199 x9 at 600 yards prone. I think great eyesight and muscle control trumps great loads for some of these very good young shooters. That's my excuse anyways. :)

It is fun watching juniors shoot well. Seeing this young shooter who just turned 14 by one week plug the 3" X ring 20 out of 40 shots in his first tournament was fun to watch. The gentleman pulling the target made the comment ----"keep that load!" Yea, I think so.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.