BARREL BREAK IN /WORKING UP LOAD FOR Win.308

SWALI

What's the most effective way of breaking in a barrel and developing a pet load ?

Received my custom made .308

Broke in the barrel using this method:Clean ,shoot,foam bore 24hrs,clean ,shoot. x5.
Would anybody recommend more barrel break-in ? Perhaps shoot 2 and clean (without foam bore) for another 10-15 rounds !

I will be using .308 Berger 175g VLD over Varget,210M primers and Laupa brass.
I received load info. from Berger,they recommend start load at 37.5g and MAX load of 42.0g.
But looking on the internet most users use 44g-45g with best results !

Am I doing the correct thing by starting at 37.5,38.5,39.5,40.5,41.5,42.5,43,43.5,44,44.5,45 and firing 2 rounds of each load at 100 yards ? (obviously looking for pressure signs).

Cheers.

This topic has been discussed so many times, on this and, other forums, I doubt if you'll get much responce. Do a search on the topic and you'll get enough info to thoroughly confuse you. Then go to your barrel makers web site and see what they suggest.

Each barrel is different try other powders Varget, IMR 4064, RL-15 and H414
just to name a few.
Varget has worked well for me and called Sierra hot line and got great
information.
Reloading information is what this forun or site is about, keep asking for
information someone will help.
Lots of great people here and most willing to help.....LOL

Swali, this is such a coincidence.

I just received my custom 308 on the 19th. I used 210 Berger VLDs as I like a long bullet during the initial break-in period. I used a mild-medium charge of IMR4064 and Lapua brass. I used some WW primers I had on hand.

I shot and cleaned for about the first 15-16 rounds using the above referenced link that includes the use of Windex glass cleaner. I have an Obermeyer 5R stainless barrel. The last 5 shots happened to group 0.300. The bbl didn't have noticeable copper streaking after shot 10 or 11 or so but I still kept cleaning after each round anyway.

When I brought the rifle home that evening it soaked all night with wipeout foam. I dried all of that out with patches, then used some warthog 1134, and there was only one mild hint of blue left.

Heading back to the range in about an hour with some 150 Btips over Varget and IMR4064.

Thanks for the info Derek,

Sounds as though you are grouping extremely well with the new rifle.

Hoping to work on some loads with the Bergers 175g in the next few days as I start my annual deer hunt on the 1st Oct over here in Scotalnd.(Pressure on)!

Will post some photos for sure.

Have a good one.

SWALI

Rifle is exceeding all expectations.

Took the rest of the "break-in" loads out just to double check if the last visit was a fluke. The bbl appeared to be cleaned down to bare metal.

I put a 210 Berger down range, then a cease fire was called. Then 5 minutes later, I put another 5 rounds down range and again a .300 center to center. I've never accidently found a load so easy, even though it wasn't what I had in mind for this rifle.

I took 3 test loads with the 150 Btips and didn't even need to shoot any loaded with the IMR4064. The Varget loads printed less than .3 for 5 shots (47.5 gr, 150 Btip, Lapua, 210M seated at 2.81).

None of the test loads grouped over 1/2".

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.