Working up load

8208 has been around a long time just not marketed to the public unless you could find a pile of 5.56 military surplus ammo to dump it out of! H4895 and Benchmark are hotter than Varget but if you want something you can use in 223 and 308 H4895 is where I'd look. Personally with a 12 twist 223 I'd shoot about 24.5grns of RE10X behind a 40grn nosler, super accurate, and fast, then save the varget for your 308!

That would be pulled ball powder WC844? Its for sale 8lb cost like 90 bucks, there is also WC846. The thing about H335, I had few issues metering, that thing would get stuck in every place of the dispenser, so I switched to granular powder.

Today I was shooting my new load, which I reduced by 1gr to 26gr total. Best group I got is 0.45MOA, so its getting better. Also I had one group 2 shots touching and 3rd had 6" drop, so I switched from 300 to 100 yards, where 3 shots measured 0.45", then I let barrel cool, then fired another group first shot was 2" high from two following which were touching.

This could be sign of my barrel developing something unwanted, or neck tension is not the same, the brass I'm using just been annealed and full sized.

Maybe I should get new brass, since the one I'm currently using been shot for a year, but it looks perfectly fine, shiny an clean. It usually goes through process of annealing an FL sizing after 3 uses which are neck sized.

So the issue now is vertical spread on cold or warm barrel, it was probably 80F and outside temperature 57F.

Is there such thing as updraft or downdraft which can effect vertical spread?

Last edited:
Sometimes a cold bore slings high, sometimes low. Check the crown and check for copper fouling or to see if the barrel is touching somewhere.

I did KG-2 bore restore last night, that barrel was like mirror, and first group I fired didn't have any fliers, first shot was 0.35" from the rest of the group from the cold barrel. What I noticed is some sort of residue embedded along corners of the lands. I was only using cotton patch with KG-2 bore restore...

Maybe try some sweets or copper killer and use a 27 cal brass brush, sounds like carbon buildup. You may even run a 35 cal brush up to the neck/throat junction and get it cleaned up.

I stopped using bronze brushes, maybe I need to start it again :D, all my brushes made of nylon

Yeah I've always used brass, your not going to hurt chromoly or stainless steel with brass, I've accidentally grabbed the wrong cleaning rod and jammed a 26 cal jag into one of my 22-250s it was hard as hell to get out, but my buddy run the bore scope up in it and you couldn't even tell it happened.

It's copper after all, as I type KG-12 is working miracles, I haven't used it in this rifle, never had so much copper fouling before, it's either excessive speed of the loads or V-Max is made from different material, which I doubt.

Sounds like your getting your barrel to hot, try some RE10X, with that I can send 15 rounds downrange and not get as hot as 5 rounds with 4895 or 4064.

Yep, primers show a lot of pressure, looks like they got print of the bolt surface...
From 100 yard zero it took 3.5 MOA to get to 300 yards... Its about 3300.0 ft/s, this is fast but I'm not shooting match barrel... Its Remington factory varmint barrel.

Went back to the original 25.5 gr load and the results where amazing! 300 yards 1" - 1.5" groups at 100 yards .24" I think I'll stick to my old proven load, forget super-speed nothing but trouble.

Hey bud if you have some RE10X load up a couple for ***** and grins it may give you the best of both, speed and accuracy, like I said both of my 22-250s love it. But I sounds like it shooting pretty **** good.

RL-10, hmmm maybe, never had any experience with it, RL-15 the lowest one I tried from Alliant, but H-335 was performing very good before, going to repeat myself: I didn't like how it was getting in every part of the powder dispenser.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.