Working up load, 300rum

joel0407

Just wondering whats the best way to work up a load in a Sender SFII in 300rum.

I have had a Sako 75 S/S in 270 win for over 10 years now and always worked up my loads by powder charge only. I could not seat the bullet any closer to the lands as the barrel has alot of free bore and the mag is to short to get close O.A.L.

I just load 3 cases in 0.1 step charges e.g. 52.0, 52.1, 52.2, 52.3, etc until I get the best accuracy then load 3 more loads at that charge and 0.1 grains either side e.g. 52.7, 52.8, 52.9. I then fire these 9 shots and see which is most accurate and thats the load I use.

I weigh all my cases and I find some weights of cases more accurate than others.

I have picked up my Sendero from the gun shop but I took it straight to the gun smith so I haven't had a chance to see if the mag will allow me to load close to the lands but if I can.

Do you work up most accurate charge or length first (O.A.L)?

I think that you will have free bore again. The magazine length will probably dictate seating depth. I would start out seated nearly as long as the mag will allow, find your powder charge like you did before then tweak by seating .oo1" increments and shooting groups. Magazine length may work well and you don't have to mess with tweaking seating depth.

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve.

I dont know why manufactures do this, as far as I understand is you can get better accuracy seating just a little short of the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.