Best .308 Load for Mid Range Deer

jharris308

Gentlemen,
I'm looking for your opinion on good mid range (out to 400/450 yards) .308 loads for whitetails. Primarily looking for opinions on bullets with good performance for both accuracy and sufficient energy/expansion, but would love to see the associated loads.

FYI, these loads will be fired from a stock Browing A-bolt, 22" sporter contour.

Thanks in advance.

Given the range and the soft target: You could use anything from a 150 flat base up threw the 208 a-max. The energy and velocity needed are easily accomplished with about anything that drives tacks from your gun. I use 208 A-max and r17 in my 308 or 150 sierra pro hunter with varget in my 7.62x54r (308win Russian version) and they both work great for mid range dear.

If you don't care to buy Bergers for whitetail, the best generic load that comes to mind, I load a lot of this round, is Win brass, CCI BR2 primers, 46grns Varget, 168grn Nosler BT, 2.835" OAL, yes it is at the upper pressure limit, but it works great and runs about 2840fps from a 24" barrel, just be careful.

Thanks guys. I'd pretty well decided on the bergers, but might give the Noslers a chance. I like the varget, so I'll be pushing it with that. What groups are you getting out of stock rifles with these loads? Never reloaded for this browning, so I'm sure I'll have to fool with the coal some to get it right.

Thanks again.

My savage has shot the 168nbts from .21-.34" for 5 shots, liltank has used the nosler over alliant ar-comp and got a .117" for 3 shot group from his savage with a lothar barrel.

I used Nosler 180 grain Accubonds and 43.0 grains of Varget. I was shooting about .75 MOA out to 500 yards.

Gentlemen,
I'm looking for your opinion on good mid range (out to 400/450 yards) .308 loads for whitetails. Primarily looking for opinions on bullets with good performance for both accuracy and sufficient energy/expansion, but would love to see the associated loads.

FYI, these loads will be fired from a stock Browing A-bolt, 22" sporter contour.

Thanks in advance.
I am going to try the barnes 130 gr. ttsx.Best looking bullet i've ever seen for 308.Ball c 2 or H4895 for powder.168 gr and 180 grain way too heavy for the 308 to hunt deer imho.130 gr. barnes is as long as 150 nosler ballistic tip!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.