Overpressure Factory Hornady Match Ammo

OP on a bolt gun? Something went wrong at the ammo factory! I wonder how short the throat is? Maybe they did bad on powder change/charge if changing bullet weight? Are the sst's crimped at the cannelur?

I've a gun I can't shoot Hornady 75 grain match .223 through, pierced primers- and typically, 50% of the time-not just once. The fragments clogged the firing pin. The gunsmith told me "Just don't shoot that ammo." It was a shame, too- because it was pretty accurate!

Blew a primer pocket halfway through the box of factory Hornady Match 308 recently. Shot a few more without any issues before I thought this through with no issues. No damage but seriously heavy bolt lift after the Overpressure obviously. .

I assume it's a anomaly but wondered if I should be concerned about the other ten boxes I bought back when components were scarce. I've only had this happen once before with a factory shotgun load. Anybody ever report this kind of thing to the manufacturer? View attachment 373590View attachment 373591View attachment 373592
Assuming zero issues with the chamber, barrel, bolt and firing pin. It is anomaly. It is a manufactured product so things fall out if standard deviation. I wouldn't think much of it. Reporting it would enable them to do a LOT check by looking back at statistical process control data. If they see "too many" out lyres then it may produce a recall but I'm sure the manufacturing SPc guys and gals would appreciate the data points. Just list LOT, store, location and rough date of purchase. Heck they may send you a free box.

I had the same with 110 gr 300 AAC FDP from Hornady. I had only bought two boxes, and since my friends had hard time with Hornady in 300 WBY, I just wrote it off and never bothered with Hornady ammo again. I only bought factory ammo for "fun" in the past. Serious shooting I always loaded my self. I have hunted with Winchester, Federal and Remington ammo in the past when I didnt feel like loading, and never had issues with those.

I had that happen with hornady years ago with a 6mm Remington, no problems in cool weather but on a hot summer day it would pop the primers

Blew a primer pocket halfway through the box of factory Hornady Match 308 recently. Shot a few more without any issues before I thought this through with no issues. No damage but seriously heavy bolt lift after the Overpressure obviously. .

I assume it's a anomaly but wondered if I should be concerned about the other ten boxes I bought back when components were scarce. I've only had this happen once before with a factory shotgun load. Anybody ever report this kind of thing to the manufacturer? View attachment 373590View attachment 373591View attachment 373592
I had it happen 2-3 yrs ago in a Tikka T3X SL with Nosler factory ammo. The insisted I sent the spent brass and remaining ammo from that box back to them. They're response was there was no issue with the ammo and they sent me 2 replacement boxes of ammo for my "trouble".

This was a shop that knew me intimately where I spent a ton of money and they actually had ammo reps visit their store……..employee that didn't know me didn't want to take it back…..
I certainly didn't feel like I should have had to hassle with dealing with the manufacturer when they could actually hand it to a Rep when he visited……
It's not the store responsibility. Ammo has always been treated as no returns for safety of others.
You are the exact reason business owners have it hard. This, I'm going to sue mentality.
I pay $1k for malpractice insurance a month to protect me from your type of people. Thanks for all you do.

If I was the store owner I would loose the intimate relationship asap. #Darenflukin

Definitely a Top Ten Post

Last edited:
I use to shoot Superformance SST in my Browning 270win before I started reloading and learned about overpressure signs. Recently looked at fired brass and noticed all
Primers flattened. But **** they shot well. Hornady Leverevolution is overpressure as well. Almost blew the bolt open on a friend's Marlin 30-30.

Samething happened to my buddy with his 308. Sent his rifle to Bill Weismann just to make sure everything was up to spec and everything checked out. Had to be the ammo.

This was a shop that knew me intimately where I spent a ton of money and they actually had ammo reps visit their store……..employee that didn't know me didn't want to take it back…..
I certainly didn't feel like I should have had to hassle with dealing with the manufacturer when they could actually hand it to a Rep when he visited……
Wow! Now they really know you intimately as a pain in the ais i* t** a**.. Issues with ammunition should go directly to the manufacturer and not burden the local gun shop with your BS.. They didn't make the ammo they only made it available for you to purchase. You can bet they won't be all that excited about seeing you come through the door anymore I don't care how much money you spend

Winchester had a problem with their primers a few years back.There would be a pin hole on the side of the primer that would blow back into the boltface.It could happen with lite loads also.Blew the extractor off of my Forbes 24B.Winchester paid to have a new one installed and replaced my primers.They admitted to a bad run.

Winchester had a problem with their primers a few years back.There would be a pin hole on the side of the primer that would blow back into the boltface.It could happen with lite loads also.Blew the extractor off of my Forbes 24B.Winchester paid to have a new one installed and replaced my primers.They admitted to a bad run.
Yes, I've seen this too.