7mm08 question about Hornady Lite Magnum Factory Ammo

fourinone

I'm not into reloading yet, but was wondering about the Hornady Lite Magnum ammo in the 7mm08 139gr SST. I see that this is factory loaded to shoot 3,000 fps. Is this what you can hand load to as far as getting 3,000 fps with the 139gr. SST? Will this be a problem as far as barrel life is concerned? These look a lot like the Remington Premier AccuTip 140gr except Remington is loaded to shoot around 2800-2850 fps. I know that as a rule one should shoot both to see which is more accurate, but would not the one loaded down group better at 100-200 yards?? Anyway I'll be limited to factory ammo until I can save enough money to get set-up for hand loading. Is there any ideas as to the most accurate factory ammo to buy? I seen that Sako even has factory ammo with their name on it, is it better than most other factory ammo. I do have the 7mm08 in a Sako 75. Just wondering if anyone else out here uses factory ammo mainly? Thanks

I have been using Hornady Light Magnum in my 30-06 for several years now, ive shot so much that i'm on my 3rd barrel. Ive found the 180gr BTSP Interlock ammo to be superbly accurate and consistent, through numerouse batch/lot numbers. I can highly recomend it, and it is probaly one of the main reasons i haven't started hand loading yet. I get about what the factory says i should on velocity too.
Pete

Pete,
I am down right proud of you, I have not read all of your 236 post's but of the ones that I have read this is the first one that has praised the **** YANK'S. great to know that you are not a EURO only kinda' guy.
B

Thanks Pete for sharing your experience with the Lite Mags.
I'm trying to buy these in the SST but it seems everyone is out of stock for the 7mm08. Hornady don't offer the IB in 7mm08 Lite Mags, so it looks like the SST would be a good choice for white tail. I hope they group good for my gun.

Brian B, darn buddy i didn't know i'd given you Yanks such a bashing..wasn't intended i can asure you, i'm actualy a very pro USA guy. and i'm also pretty anti EU.
European Optics and Cars are better than thier USA counterparts,( unless your talking custom cars) but other wise you guys have a lot to offer, heck i love my beef jerky, ive got more remington in my safe than anything else. and i must have spent a small fortune on all that Hornady ammo.
Ref the SST. darn good bullet, but my 06 shoots better with the BTSP Interlock, which is a shame as they do tend to suffer from tip damage due to recoil whilst in the magazine, the SST's fare better.
Pete

PeteLincoln,
I did not mean to offend, it is just that I have read many of your posts and you like many of your EURO buddies.and I Like my U.S.A. buddies but we can all get along. Even if I cannot get a S&b in my hillbilly town, my dang Leuy continues to kill critters with M.O.A. while you kill critters with metric E=Mc2><?+%*camilla coles Barker, excuse me I think I'M gonna BLAAAAAAAAAA.

The Hornady 139sst light magnums will shoot as good as you can shoot them. Maybe I just lucked up and got a good gun,
but my Rem Model 7 will one hole them all day long and thats out of a 20" barrel.

Pete; What caliber are you shooting these 139's in? I assume it is 7mm, but which 7mm? And is that model 7 Rem. still with factory barrel? If so, you got a good one!! Also do you think these "Lite Magnums" are hard on the barrel life? Thanks

I got 4500 rounds of the 180gr BTSP Hornday LM through the first barrel in my 06 before the accuracy went (plus maybe 150 rounds of other stuff in my search for the best load). The rifle started out as a remmy 700 custom shop mountain rifle KS. not sure what barrel was on it but i have been told by Remington it was a douglas.Then came a Heym, (that was so superbly accurate, but unfortunately chrom moly, and the dreaded Scottish weather put paid to that before i could shoot it out. I'm on a stainless Border barrel at the mo. When you consider the 30-06 with the light mag loads is pushing almost standard 300wm velocity, youd expect a bit more barrel wear than with standard ß6 loads, i figure i did well to get as many as i did.
S&B are available every where, you just have to know who to ask.
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.