Overpressure Factory Hornady Match Ammo

Had this happen several years ago with some of their American Whitetail Ammo .308 in a Savage 110. I initially thought it was because it was blistering hot that particular day. Later that same year I had a casing stick from the same box of ammo. I've never shot that ammo again and I've never had the issue again.

Years ago, Hornady had a sale on FBI surplus .223 60gr. Barrier Tap Ammo. It was factory reloaded by Hornady with military brassThe price was unbelievably low. I bought some to try it out. It was pretty good, so I bought a lot more. Later, the price was reduced even further, so I was forced to buy more. I was shooting my M700 some time later and I had a round that the case split just ahead of the web that ran up the case about 3/8 of an inch. I felt some splatter after the shot. The case did not eject. I re-closed the bolt and was able to extract the case. The primer looked normal as did the case except for the 3/8" split running up from the web. I swabbed the chamber and it it also looked good. So, I tried another shot. It also failed to to eject. I re-closed the bolt and was able to extract the case. That shooting session was over!!! I replaced the extractor, headspace was normal and the the rifle is back to normal. The extractor was the only thing damaged. I think the case might have been faulty. I never had that issue again. With the millions of rounds, something might go wrong sometime. I guess we just happened to be one of the unlucky few.

The manufacturer should be the one on the hook, not the retailer. Having factory cartridges snap was what started my handloading hobby back in the 80's. I bought some remington factory 280 recently to get brass for my 280ai. Three of the box of 20 believe it or not snapped. It would have been tough if staring down the barrel at a particular trophy. Hornady is not the only ones with q/c problems.
I sent feedback to remington, not the big box store.

Blew a primer pocket halfway through the box of factory Hornady Match 308 recently. Shot a few more without any issues before I thought this through with no issues. No damage but seriously heavy bolt lift after the Overpressure obviously. .

I assume it's a anomaly but wondered if I should be concerned about the other ten boxes I bought back when components were scarce. I've only had this happen once before with a factory shotgun load. Anybody ever report this kind of thing to the manufacturer? View attachment 373590View attachment 373591View attachment 373592
Yes this bill and it happened to my wife new 7mm08 in a savage axis she had 3 what did the same thing contacted Hornady they ask for the lot and remaining rounds,to be sent and I never did return them to them it actually blew the primer out of the pocket on 2 and 1 was mashed dropped in the magazine,sold gun I did try to reload and the primer pocket was opened up and wouldn't let me seat a primer good luck giv them a call have your info ready,cal,bullet,brand,lot number usually on the bottom of box

I bought my first factory rifle, a Remington 7mm Express, in late 1979 and I bought 10 or 15 boxes of ammo. I had always been a shotgun gun before and had zero experience with a high-powered rifle. Long story short, 1st no one knew anything about a 7mm Express, but this thing was hot, I just wished I knew what I know today. I shot all the ammo up or almost all of it and then saw the recall from Remington. Yes, the bolt was heavy, sometimes really heavy, but again I had no idea what normal was, and eventually after breaking the handle on my RCBS reloader Jr., did I realize I had a problem. Those rounds were so hot that it swelled the chamber some, the brass was really hard to resize, and yes I had plenty of lube on them.
I sent the rifle back to Remington and all they did was set the shoulder back some, but that did zero for the oversized chamber. I sent it back and had the same results so I lived with it for a couple of decades before changing out the barrel.
So contact Hornady, you know there's a problem, and I wouldn't shoot it anymore unless you have a chrony to see what you're shooting.

I bought my first factory rifle, a Remington 7mm Express, in late 1979 and I bought 10 or 15 boxes of ammo. I had always been a shotgun gun before and had zero experience with a high-powered rifle. Long story short, 1st no one knew anything about a 7mm Express, but this thing was hot, I just wished I knew what I know today. I shot all the ammo up or almost all of it and then saw the recall from Remington. Yes, the bolt was heavy, sometimes really heavy, but again I had no idea what normal was, and eventually after breaking the handle on my RCBS reloader Jr., did I realize I had a problem. Those rounds were so hot that it swelled the chamber some, the brass was really hard to resize, and yes I had plenty of lube on them.
I sent the rifle back to Remington and all they did was set the shoulder back some, but that did zero for the oversized chamber. I sent it back and had the same results so I lived with it for a couple of decades before changing out the barrel.
So contact Hornady, you know there's a problem, and I wouldn't shoot it anymore unless you have a chrony to see what you're shootingIs

About 15 years ago I had a primer blowout. PMC ammo, they ended up saying that I could have been some Russain primers they were using and that those primers may have been a tad loose in the primer pocket...
It messed up my bolt face enough to screw up the ejection button, and spring and it was replaced by Savage at no charge. I mailed the bolt in.
Definitely tell the ammo manufacturer.

Dick move. Like they didn't build the ammo they just sold it to you, I've never seen a shop where you could return ammo. Plus they don't know if you tampered with it. Hornady should be on the hook not your LGS.

@tiptanks definitely report it to Hornady.
Agree, they are dam if they do and dammed if they don't... send it to Hornady, they will replace it.

I have never had issues with their "Hornady" branded ammo but their "Frontier" branded ammo has routinely been at pressure or overpressure. This has been happening off and on for years. This is from the most recent case, fired in an X-Bolt and 2 different ARs with the Wylde chamber.

D077D930-2400-4AA8-A50C-DB6217E9B28B.jpeg
A5547DB6-33C3-4D16-AF61-8BE9B2CC9563.jpeg
3EA99292-1923-40D9-8E07-3586D1B89E29.jpeg

I had something similar but not as drastic, happen about 6 years back in my brand new custom 270. I was doing a barrel break-in on it and had a few boxes of Hornady Superformance SST 140gr left from before that gun became a custom. It had shot those factory rounds really good in it's past life so wanted to use them up before I started loading for it. None of the primers blew out but the deep rings and hard to open bolt were enough for me. I called my Gunsmith and before I could tell him which factory ammo I was using, he asked if It was Hornady Superformance SST's. He said he did not know what had been going on with those but he had had to pull 2 brand new barrels from recent builds that had the brass stuck. I sold the remaining ones to a friend who was already shooting them in his rifle and they worked just fine. I still use Hornady products but not there loaded ammo in Superformance.
Nice guy. Give them to somebody else. To see if he can brake his rifle. I am not being funny about it either.
Quite frankly I would have gotten to the manufacture on this. On the other rounds I see a little creator on the primer pockets. Anytime I am shooting, I look at my primers after firing that round. I am checking on any possible problem that may come up.