Overpressure Factory Hornady Match Ammo

Blew a primer pocket halfway through the box of factory Hornady Match 308 recently. Shot a few more without any issues before I thought this through with no issues. No damage but seriously heavy bolt lift after the Overpressure obviously. .

I assume it's a anomaly but wondered if I should be concerned about the other ten boxes I bought back when components were scarce. I've only had this happen once before with a factory shotgun load. Anybody ever report this kind of thing to the manufacturer?
6BDADABD-8CC5-46DE-9FC5-82D77EFF8097.jpeg
89C1681F-051D-4EBF-90DF-1754AF305638.jpeg
42B01C57-FAE2-481D-BD78-F568F746F336.jpeg

I bought a couple of boxes of Hornady
.270 Win 150's many many years ago and had a couple rounds do the same thing. The store I bought them from did not want to take them back until I made a huge stink about it. Asked them if they'd prefer I blow up my rifle and myself by keeping on shooting them then be part of a multi faceted lawsuit….
Have never bought any Hornady loaded ammo since

I bought a couple of boxes of Hornady
.270 Win 150's many many years ago and had a couple rounds do the same thing. The store I bought them from did not want to take them back until I made a huge stink about it. Asked them if they'd prefer I blow up my rifle and myself by keeping on shooting them then be part of a multi faceted lawsuit….
Have never bought any Hornady loaded ammo since
Dick move. Like they didn't build the ammo they just sold it to you, I've never seen a shop where you could return ammo. Plus they don't know if you tampered with it. Hornady should be on the hook not your LGS.

@tiptanks definitely report it to Hornady.

This was a shop that knew me intimately where I spent a ton of money and they actually had ammo reps visit their store……..employee that didn't know me didn't want to take it back…..
I certainly didn't feel like I should have had to hassle with dealing with the manufacturer when they could actually hand it to a Rep when he visited……

I assume it's a anomaly but wondered if I should be concerned about the other ten boxes I bought back when components were scarce. I've only had this happen once before with a factory shotgun load. Anybody ever report this kind of thing to the manufacturer?

Your first move is to report it to Hornady since they are the manufacturer. You have some excellent pictures to use in your contact with them which will help sell your case. Just be polite but firm in your resolve to get fair treatment. They will help.

:)

Question is, did you use it in an AR? I've had op issues with their match ammo in the ar10/sr25 style guns depending on where the barrel came from.

Blew a primer pocket halfway through the box of factory Hornady Match 308 recently. Shot a few more without any issues before I thought this through with no issues. No damage but seriously heavy bolt lift after the Overpressure obviously. .

I assume it's a anomaly but wondered if I should be concerned about the other ten boxes I bought back when components were scarce. I've only had this happen once before with a factory shotgun load. Anybody ever report this kind of thing to the manufacturer? View attachment 373590View attachment 373591View attachment 373592
I had something similar but not as drastic, happen about 6 years back in my brand new custom 270. I was doing a barrel break-in on it and had a few boxes of Hornady Superformance SST 140gr left from before that gun became a custom. It had shot those factory rounds really good in it's past life so wanted to use them up before I started loading for it. None of the primers blew out but the deep rings and hard to open bolt were enough for me. I called my Gunsmith and before I could tell him which factory ammo I was using, he asked if It was Hornady Superformance SST's. He said he did not know what had been going on with those but he had had to pull 2 brand new barrels from recent builds that had the brass stuck. I sold the remaining ones to a friend who was already shooting them in his rifle and they worked just fine. I still use Hornady products but not there loaded ammo in Superformance.

I have had a few factory ammo issues over the years and directly contacted the manufacture and they all have been very good to work with. Document what you have including the lot number off the box of ammo, including the pictures you have shown here. On the manufacture websites you can typically fill out a standardized form where you upload your pictures, enter the firearm information and a description of what happened. If all the other ammo you have is from the same lot, let them know you have "x" boxes of the same lot in your inquiry to them.

The manufactures have sent me pre paid labels where I have then shipped the ammo in question back. In return they have replaced all the suspect ammo and even sent discounts for future purchases.

It will be worth the 10 min to contact them and let them know what has occurred.

I have had a few factory ammo issues over the years and directly contacted the manufacture and they all have been very good to work with. Document what you have including the lot number off the box of ammo, including the pictures you have shown here. On the manufacture websites you can typically fill out a standardized form where you upload your pictures, enter the firearm information and a description of what happened. If all the other ammo you have is from the same lot, let them know you have "x" boxes of the same lot in your inquiry to them.

The manufactures have sent me pre paid labels where I have then shipped the ammo in question back. In return they have replaced all the suspect ammo and even sent discounts for future purchases.

It will be worth the 10 min to contact them and let them know what has occurred.
Great feedback thanks everybody. I'm collecting all my boxes from my stash and I'll submit to Hornady and update here when I get a response. 👍🏻