Our 2023 whitetail season

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
This was a little different year for us at the Allen house. My daughter Kenzie has been dating a young man going on close to 2 years now and this past winter we found out he had never had the opportunity to hunt big game. Being as he is a senior in highschool this year, i asked him if he had a desire to hunt with us this coming fall and he was very excited. Nervous but excited. So through the summer we went out get him confident in shooting.

come hunting season and opening morning on our property, we spot a great buck but its only Kenzie and myself hunting. Myles her boyfriend could not come that morning. Kenzie passed on a great 7x8 three year old but 20 minutes after that we spot a mature 4x4 heading towards our property so she held out for him. Made a great shot with her 243 win at 420 yards and her season was done opening morning. Not a bad thing with her crazy schedule with high school volleyball. Nice solid 4x4 for her wall and huge body for the freezer.
0E38D8D3-7514-48E7-82FE-F757D23ADE2D.jpeg

couple weeks went by and Myles had hunted several times with no luck. Deer all around but none came within the 300 yard max range we had agreed on for his first deer.

one evening when neither of the kids could make it, i decided to take my old TC handgun out and sit on our field. Watched this nice 5x5 for a couple hours hanging 500-800 yards out, to far for this handgun but at the last 20 minutes of shooting light, for some reason he made a line to our property to check out a small group of does that were feeding. Range was only 200 yards but at last shooting like which can be tricky using a handgun scope. One of my better handgun bucks i have taken.

DFF2E934-D7A0-4670-8AA9-EDA12B40EF11.jpeg

the next week, Myles came down a couple times and i set with him in the WIND as my daughter was off to state volleyball tournament. Again deer all over but wind kept things from moving much.

then one night, same scenerio repeated, wind, not much movement but right at last light, a doe came running onto our property from the east. We could not see behind her but with 5 minutes left of legal shooting time, a nice buck walks out into the open field. I asked Myles if he could line up on this buck with the angle he was at and he replied after a few seconds he could. Told him the buck is at 275 yards, hold on the point of his shoulder and kill him. He replied, "You want me to shoot him??" Almost surprised. Said yep, still legal shooting time having just looked at my phone for time.

seconds later, the 243 cracked for a second time this season. The buck kicked but showed no other sign of being hit. He ran 75 yards out into the field and just as i was going to tell Myles to hit him again, the bucks head started to lower and he fell over dead. He had missed his shoulder by just a couple inches but taken out both lungs with the angling toward us shot angle. perfect.

not bad for his very first deer!! pretty happy for him.

BB5AB971-C86A-44AA-AAA6-E42CA804ED78.jpeg

786E2B56-DAB6-45BB-AA01-137F88CD1BEE.jpeg

F7CDD260-AF06-4C1B-800C-05E343B6DC2D.jpeg

big bodied 7x7!!! Told him hell of a good first deer. His hands were shaking for an hour after the shot. He said he things he is hooked on whitetail hunting!!

was a good year. Old man got the smallest of the three but thats fine with me.

Very nice pics. Congrats to the two youngsters and yourself!

My daughters both do volleyball as well. My oldest just finished her senior season. It didn't go the way they wanted to this year. Couple of years ago she missed our Wyoming trip for antelope due to section playoffs. I too took the boyfriend hunting to the shack this year. No luck for us.

Glad you guys had a successful year.

Congratulations! Those boyfriends are pretty trusting going hunting with Dad😂😂
When my girls gets big I may have to remember that move
He is very respectful of my Daughter and Me and my Wife as well. He is a great young man! That said, he certainly knows he is easily in range long before he can see me!! LOL

Very nice pics. Congrats to the two youngsters and yourself!

My daughters both do volleyball as well. My oldest just finished her senior season. It didn't go the way they wanted to this year. Couple of years ago she missed our Wyoming trip for antelope due to section playoffs. I too took the boyfriend hunting to the shack this year. No luck for us.

Glad you guys had a successful year.
Hopefully more time with your daughters to come!! They do get busy though…..