Early Season Whitetail Question

bryceh12321

I decided to set up a stand on our property this year, and also invested in a Scout Cam back in early August. The first few weeks I was getting about 3 or 4 deer a day on the cam. Now, I'll get about 1 or 2 a week if I'm lucky.

My question: Do deer travel back to previous spot where there was water and food, or will they just keep going and going until they come across the next location that suits them?

I'm new to bow hunting this early in the season and am starting to doubt it will be worth my time to hunt at this location. Any advice you have is appreciated.

Thanks alot.

I'm probably one of the least knowledgeable in this area, but if I were to guess, given a good food and water supply they will return. Deer won't move anymore than they have to unless pushed out or loss of food supply.

I wanted to get in on this thread to see what others say.

Whitetails have a summer "home" i.e. territory, and a winter "home". When they start shedding velvet is ususally when they start going to their fall/winter territory. During the summer they'll hang out in vachelor groups, and disperse around this time of the year (at least they do in this neck of the woods).

When you were getting more pics, were there pics of bucks together, and now you're only getting pics of a single buck or just does?

The deer will also move to different areas if a different food comes into season. What part of the country are you in?

It has been said that whitetail deer are born, live and die inside the same square mile. While I think this is a bit of an exaggeration, I think there's some truth to it. As long as there is food, water and shelter a deer will only move-on if he is pushed by another deer, the food/water source in your area runs out or a more desirable/more easily obtained food source is found elsewhere.

Whitetails have a summer "home" i.e. territory, and a winter "home". When they start shedding velvet is ususally when they start going to their fall/winter territory. During the summer they'll hang out in vachelor groups, and disperse around this time of the year (at least they do in this neck of the woods).

When you were getting more pics, were there pics of bucks together, and now you're only getting pics of a single buck or just does?

The deer will also move to different areas if a different food comes into season. What part of the country are you in?

Yep, thats exactly right. At first there were about 5 or 6 bucks all together, and the latest I have gotten in the past week or so is just a little 2x2.

I'm located in Eastern Nebraska, if that would make any difference.

It's common knowledge that, statistically speaking, the more you hunt a stand, the less your chances are to be successful. The first time in after you set your stand is your best chance. Reason being, and I know y'all know this, is that the area was void of human presence or pressure so the deer feel comfortable there.

Similar situation as checking trail cams multiple times has the same effect. The more you go in to check your footage, etc, the more intrusion, scent and disturbance you bring to the area. Maybe your continued presence is making them change their habits slightly? Just a thought.

iSnipe

Yep, thats exactly right. At first there were about 5 or 6 bucks all together, and the latest I have gotten in the past week or so is just a little 2x2.

I'm located in Eastern Nebraska, if that would make any difference.

Same thing here in NW Montana. About three weeks ago you would see bucks together (13 one time) now they are splitting up and developing a territory of their own. They won't generally be to far away from where they were though.

Their habits are begining to change now as well.

Alright, well thanks for the input guys.

After all, it only takes one deer passing through to result in my freezer being full.:D

The bachelor groups are splitting up now, and they are staking out their core territories. Where the bucks are now is very close to where you'll find them in a month from now unless a more agressive buck kicks them out. I'm seeing rubs and a couple of scrapes now, where earlier this summer I had no bucks at all.

The good thing now is once you have them patterned after the bachelor groups disperse, you should have them patterned for hunting season unless another human comes and disrupts their pattern.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.