Ordered a new MVP .223/5.56 this morning

savagekindaguy

Attachments

• My New MVP Varmint .223.jpg
    My New MVP Varmint .223.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 18
The chamber in that is basically the 223 wylde chamber isn't it? That would/could be a very handy gun to own. ...accepts ar mags and "surplus" ammo. .....

The chamber in that is basically the 223 wylde chamber isn't it? That would/could be a very handy gun to own. ...accepts ar mags and "surplus" ammo. .....

Don't know about the Wylde chambering, but it is for sure the 5.56 chambering. I think a Wylde would have to be special ordered. I have not seen it mentioned on any sales description.

But yep, it takes AR mags. I have been reading that finding one that works just right can be a bit of a trial.

Far as I know the 223 wylde chamber is designed to shoot the 223 rem and the 5.56 nato....just not sure if the MVP chamber is the same as the wylde. ....still want one......be nice to have a bolt gun and an Ar shooting the same ammo and using the same magazine

UPDATE!
I ordered it the 11th of Feb. Then nothing...not a word. I tried to contact the store and because of the storms everything was shut down. Phone CS was down. Emails went through and were answered. No word on my rifle. I forgot to get the warranty so I started emailing about that. Finally today I got through. I was caller 21. I waited a half hour on the phone and when the CS rep answered he got the warranty thing sorted out...in 5 minutes. THEN he informed me that my rifle was already delivered to the FFL...on Friday the 13. 2 days after I ordered it.

Here's the kicker: I called the FFL today after I found out my rifle was already delivered to his shop, and his message said he is in Mayo Clinic...he said he has been sick for a long time. I never knew. Anyway, today he put all gun orders on hold at UPS and he will get them over to his shop when he returns on the 24th. I hopefully can pick up my rifle on the 25th...my next day off. Mine is in his shop, as it was delivered before he shut down. The gripe? I work in that town tomorrow and could have picked it up on company time. Dang!

Friday the 13th seems to be taking a long time to end.

More news as it comes in.

UPDATE!
I ordered it the 11th of Feb. Then nothing...not a word. I tried to contact the store and because of the storms everything was shut down. Phone CS was down. Emails went through and were answered. No word on my rifle. I forgot to get the warranty so I started emailing about that. Finally today I got through. I was caller 21. I waited a half hour on the phone and when the CS rep answered he got the warranty thing sorted out...in 5 minutes. THEN he informed me that my rifle was already delivered to the FFL...on Friday the 13. 2 days after I ordered it.

Here's the kicker: I called the FFL today after I found out my rifle was already delivered to his shop, and his message said he is in Mayo Clinic...he said he has been sick for a long time. I never knew. Anyway, today he put all gun orders on hold at UPS and he will get them over to his shop when he returns on the 24th. I hopefully can pick up my rifle on the 25th...my next day off. Mine is in his shop, as it was delivered before he shut down. The gripe? I work in that town tomorrow and could have picked it up on company time. Dang!

Friday the 13th seems to be taking a long time to end.

More news as it comes in.

You will love this gun! I've taken a yote at 341 yards shooting Bergers reloads. If you need a load I can give you what I use? Pm me if you like...

Finally got it this morning. Long story...bad communications and a sick LGS/FFL guy. Rifle was at the FFL 2 days after I ordered it on the 11th. But, communications broke down and i didn't know it was there. Anyway, here are some crappy pics. I will get some better ones when the weather clears.

Attachments

• MVP1.JPG
    MVP1.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 15
  • MVP2.JPG
    MVP2.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 14
  • MVP3.JPG
    MVP3.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 14
  • MVP4.JPG
    MVP4.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 13
  • MVP5.jpg
    MVP5.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 13
Finally got it this morning. Long story...bad communications and a sick LGS/FFL guy. Rifle was at the FFL 2 days after I ordered it on the 11th. But, communications broke down and i didn't know it was there. Anyway, here are some crappy pics. I will get some better ones when the weather clears.

Nice you'll enjoy it...

I got to the range 2 times now. First time out the rifle shot way better than I expected. One group of 3 was in 2 small holes touching in the bull. I shot multiple groups on that target so I don't count it as a "legal" target.

But one 10 shot group were all within the 1 inch bullseye.

Granted this was the first time out and I had to zero the scope, and because there were no 100 yd target butts set up and I had no way to set one up all shots were at 50 yards.

I got out last Monday and shot 40 rounds of Win White Box and they all fired and were accurate. Then I fired 50 low velocity rounds to fire form so I could neck size them..using FMJ w/lead core. Those all went boom too so now I have those ready to load.

This is when the fun started. I had purchased some copper bullets and being theytype of bullets that have no actual data I had to start low...with the same 4 grain load of Trail Boss I used on the FMJ loads.

Big Mistake! First and second round went bang and for the most part, they were fairly accurate. I was shooting clay birds on the berm 70 yards out. Several shooters were also shooting them and I saw dirt fly every shot up to the 4th one. I did not see dirt fly when I fired so I pulled the bolt and looked down the bore. Stuck bullet. Time to go home.

Got home and ran a rod in from the breach and found the bullet in about 6-9 inches. I gave it a push and it went very easily...right up until I fely iy land against the bullet that stopped 4" short of the muzzle. I tried pounding them out but the front bullet would not budge.

I called around and got prices for a Gunsmith to get them out but I am cheap and impatient. $200 bucks or more is more than I will spend.

I looked on You Tube and found a great link. The guy shows exactly how to dislodge bullets by filling the bore with water and firing a blank down the tube.

I contacted him for some instructions and because Trail Boss is so low pressure, he said if a smaller charge doesn't work, beef up the charge.

I fired 3, 2 gr loads and they went poof. I went home and made 6 6 gr loads and the third shot cleared the barrel. I will post some pics, and also the link.

This method is safe and it works. You might want to keep the link just in case.
skg

Now I have 46 bullets to pull and Midway is sending me a .224 collet for my Forster Bullet Puller.

Here's the link:

Attachments

• Barrel on Post.JPG
    Barrel on Post.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 16
  • 2 Stuck Copper 224 Bullets.JPG
    2 Stuck Copper 224 Bullets.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Group 2 and 3 _ 3_2_15_ 2.jpg
    Group 2 and 3 _ 3_2_15_ 2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 16
  • MVP with BSA Bore Sighter.jpg
    MVP with BSA Bore Sighter.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Group 1_ 3_2_15_2.jpg
    Group 1_ 3_2_15_2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 13
  • Bullet Unstick Tools_2.JPG
    Bullet Unstick Tools_2.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.