Optics for aging eyes

FWIW, although my March 50X is a magnificent scope, it is VERY dark in low light. So don't assume price means bright. Make sure you have a chance to see the scope in low light conditions if that's a primary concern. My Weaver 46 is much brighter in low light, at a third the price.

It is a fact that the more power with the same objective diameter, the less light gathering ability the scope has. In Europe where the weather is more often bad and the light is poor most of their scopes are low power and normally the need for big objectives is a non issue. also hunting distances are normally less that 400 yards.

I personally Have never looked through a 50 power rifle scope so I cant imagine what the light gathering in poor light would be like. The most power I ever looked through was a 32 power Lyman for target shooting and it looked good in good light.

Some Scope manufactures list their scopes light transferring ability. and as long as it is correct (Not False Hype) 95% and up is what you want. The quality of the lens and the protective coating has the most effect on light gathering ability. So if you can find this number, It will be a good indication of its ability.

The big power spotting scopes deal with this by installing 80 mm+ objective lens. (Not practical for rifle scopes). But Price does have a direct bearing on lens quality, so to a point the price does contribute to the light gathering ability. But at some point the gain is not worth the price increase. In some cases I have looked through some 4,000 dollar scopes and could not discern the difference if there was any.

Picking a scope is kind of like picking a load, A lot depends on what you need.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
May I suggest:
Swarovski
Nightforce
Steiner
Higher end Leupold
Leica

it would be our pleasure, as a supporting vendor here, to discuss different options with you. We are back in the store tomorrow morning.
Happy & safe 4th to you and yours
Doug

I like the German #1 and 4 recticle. I have in the leupold. Heavy enough for quick acquisition on wooded areas and running shots. The sharp point also allow for longer shots

Buck

Guys, Looking for advice from you old guys. As we age our eyes change. I've noticed my eyes require better and more expensive scopes with better resolution to see well as I am getting older. I am having a new beanfield rifle built and need to choose a scope. We hunt big fields and the ranges can be pretty far. 900 is not unusual at all. Deer here are hunted hard and nearly nocturnal. Shots always come in poor light, usually just before dark. Have a little cateracts, and don't see as well in poor light as I used to. All that being said, looking for a scope with excellent tracking, 1min wind marks, and really great glass that stands out in class in low light. Needs to top out around 25X. Cost really isn't an issue as much as trying to get the most out of my old eyes, but would like to stay around $3k or so. The options are mind boggling. I do know a Vortex Razor won't cut it anymore so don't go there.
First thing....get those cataracts removed and get those store bought eye lens!!! I did and couldn't believe the difference. The colors really popped with vividness and vibrancy. No more glasses or contact lens for distance or reading. Could see in low light again....probably not like when I was 20, but way better than before surgery. (Do not buy the "they aren't bad enough yet" story. Tell your ophthalmologist that the cataracts are adversely impacting your quality of life...the criteria for insurance to cover the surgery!!! If he doesn't agree, get another ophthalmologist. Cataracts don't get any better, and the benefits of the surgery don't get better by waiting longer. You only lose the benefit while waiting.) You cannot appreciate what you have slowly lost over the years. Life is short, don't miss it. Do a little research on how optics really deliver performance. The more you understand, the more you will be able to evaluate the best solution for your needs. One aspect to consider is look for a scope that provides exit pupil size near 4mm which is about older eyes maximum opening even in low light. A larger exit pupil wastes light not reaching the eye. Too small of exit pupil also doesn't optimize viewable available light on the retina. This becomes more critical as aging occurs. Exit pupil diameter in mm = objective lens diameter in mm divided by scope power setting. (ie. 56mm/25 power = 2.2mm exit pupil....not optimum light utilization. 50mm/5power=10mm exit pupil....also not optimum. 44mm/10mm=4.4mm exit pupil....pretty close. 50mm/12.5 = 4mm....better choice.....gathers more light and optimizes exit light utilization at higher magnification. Also, an illuminated reticle that can be dimmed in low light is helpful in distinguishing dark object targets in shadows from the black reticle. Too bright reticle tends to wash out the darker target. Particularly for older eyes. For selecting which brand/model scope, everyone has an opinion based on their experience....and their eyes. Only your eyes will give you the best answer. In optics, beauty (clarify, resolution, etc.) is truly in the eyes of the beholder. You must actually see the scope in the field under actual conditions to accurately judge for yourself. That means going to a shooting range and making personal connections that will allow you to view their actual scopes under actual conditions. Scope opinions are like buttholes....very one has one, but it really only benefits the owner. Including me. :) :) :)

I wear spectacles and really struggle balancing the different focal planes and different scopes seem to have different requirements. I've had good luck with Leupold, IOR, Zeiss and Vortex. My beloved old steel tube Weaver's went in a box. Open sights are a no go but peeps are ok.

Guys, Looking for advice from you old guys. As we age our eyes change. I've noticed my eyes require better and more expensive scopes with better resolution to see well as I am getting older. I am having a new beanfield rifle built and need to choose a scope. We hunt big fields and the ranges can be pretty far. 900 is not unusual at all. Deer here are hunted hard and nearly nocturnal. Shots always come in poor light, usually just before dark. Have a little cateracts, and don't see as well in poor light as I used to. All that being said, looking for a scope with excellent tracking, 1min wind marks, and really great glass that stands out in class in low light. Needs to top out around 25X. Cost really isn't an issue as much as trying to get the most out of my old eyes, but would like to stay around $3k or so. The options are mind boggling. I do know a Vortex Razor won't cut it anymore so don't go there.
I understand where you're coming from.
Leupold Mark 4
Zeiss Conquest V6
A big portion of my rifles have Leupold glass but I do like the Zeiss Conquest V6 as well.
Good Luck!!!

For age eyes just a little focus adjust. was needed.300 to 500 yds is nice long shot which is in 90 % perfect range running shots for me normally 3 to 5 power not much use on powers above 16 cause of heat waves even on predators

I use the Kahles 6x24x56.
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2017/11/20/review-kahles-k624i-6-24x56-mm-riflescope/
The best thing I found was to get a First Focal Plane scope with 56 mm objective. Do you use hold over marks or dial for distance. I dial the turret. I found it hard to pull my head away from the scope, dial and then acquire the target again. I found that SSP eye wear have glasses for shooters with a reader lenses in the top instead of the bottom. I never have to take my eye off the target in dark conditions.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XB2JGSN/?tag=lrhmag19-20. Ultimately it was the First Focal plane scope that made the most difference for me. Pick whatever reticle works for you. Best of luck to you this deer season.

I've had the luxury of being friends with an optics engineer for quite a few years and he has always maintained that quality of lens and lens coating is way more important than objective lens size and my experimentation over the last few years seems to have proven him right. I used to hunt with a bunch of guys and we absolutely loved to compare scopes especially at dusk and Bushnell scopes were almost always best in the two or three tested regardless of objective size.

If you really want to know which scopes are clearer and have better low light performance then have some friends show up with several different brands of scopes and do some "blind testing" where people can't tell what brands they're looking through during the tests. You might be shocked at some of the super premium optics and their failures to impress when you can't see the fancy name and price sticker.

They once did something similar with confirmed beer drinkers and I think it was 9 different brands of beer and almost NONE of them could pick out their brand or even the most expensive brands in a blind test. When they tasted them they were tasting the advertising... When we look through optics we have to be careful we aren't falling victim to the same deal. Try to learn to look with your eyes rather than your mind. It's waaaaaay harder than you'd think!

Leupold has come a long way with their lens coatings in the last few years beginning with the VX line and I'm sure they now compare more favorably than they did before. The standard I like to compare to these days is Nightforce. If a scope is as good or better than a Nightforce in clarity or low light performance then my attention is very quickly won!

I'm in my late 60's with the mere beginnings of cataract development due to diligent use of quality sunglasses and within a couple of years I'll be opting for premium lens replacements. Just like quality scope optics not all eye replacements lenses are created equal.

Pay attention fellow shooters that are aging! If you'll spend a few thousand on just one rifle scope out of many you own then why not premium lens replacements in your eyes which you use all your waking hours of every day?

I hope I didn't come to late to this party, but here is my input. I'am 68 and just went thru your experience. I got a lieca magnus and was absolutely astonished at the the light gathering capacity of the scope. It is the best in that category that I have and I got some good glass (swaro, high end leupold, NF, S&B, kahles). I got the 1.5 - 10 but that is a personal preference you may want more. Comes with MIL or MOA.

But lets talk about your eyes. If you have already been diagnosed with cataracts consider not screwing around and get them fixed. I just did that 2 months ago and am enjoying vision that I have not had since I was 20. They used to tell use to wait until the cataract "ripens". My doctor said that was old school and if it bothers you get it done NOW. Mine were just beginning and I questioned him hard about doing it too early and he explained that the proceedures that they have now just does not require waiting like my dad did. I will be the first one to tell you that I was apprehensive as I had just started experiencing vision degradation ( I was having trouble resolving clay targets). I did not have any trouble driving at night or any of the other common complaints. The doctor explained that because of the way I use my eyes (I work outside, farm, and shoot a lot that I have far different demands and expectations for my eyes. He said he has patients that would not even notice my level of degradation because they don't use their eyes like predators.

I got my right eye fixed first and after the waiting period from healing, the doc released me to go back shooting and the following weekend I ran my first 100 straight in trap singles. I have to pack around readers now because you will lose the ability to focus close, but I can see like an eagle at distance. The key is shop around and get a good surgeon. If you want to visit about it let me know and I will send you my phone number (but it will have to be quick because I leave on a fishing trip today but can follow up in a week)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.