Optics advice

RKW68

I am new to the long range hunting and shooting experience and forum, so I need some advice. I have hunted for many years though mostly with a bow and would like to give long range shooting a shot since my son enjoys hunting but likes a rifle. I purchased a Remington 700 Magpul hunter in .308.
I am first a hunter , second target shooting. For hunting application it will go from 50yds to a distance that I would be comfortable with. The long distance shooting well I guess from 500-800 yds and maybe further though it may be a while. I have looked at the NF SHV 5x20x56, the Vortex viper gen 2 and the Razor in a Gen one. I will learn to use the Mil function. I just need advice on which optics will suit both and be functional. the price range is about 1200-1300.
THanks for any help

I am new to the long range hunting and shooting experience and forum, so I need some advice. I have hunted for many years though mostly with a bow and would like to give long range shooting a shot since my son enjoys hunting but likes a rifle. I purchased a Remington 700 Magpul hunter in .308.
I am first a hunter , second target shooting. For hunting application it will go from 50yds to a distance that I would be comfortable with. The long distance shooting well I guess from 500-800 yds and maybe further though it may be a while. I have looked at the NF SHV 5x20x56, the Vortex viper gen 2 and the Razor in a Gen one. I will learn to use the Mil function. I just need advice on which optics will suit both and be functional. the price range is about 1200-1300.
THanks for any help

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I don't think you can go wrong with the choices you mentioned above. IIWY, I would save some money for future upgrades and go with the 3-15x42 SWFA (in SFP or FFP, MILs or MOA) for under $700 and enjoy the LRH/S learning process; they are a lot of scopes for the money. I have the 5-20 HD and they are simply amazing.

[ame]https://youtu.be/9fe4l_CAthI?t=8[/ame]

Good luck!

RKW68,

Personally, I would skip the Nightforce SHV.

I have both the Viper and the Razor scope from Vortex and I use them in either 1st or 2nd plane without problems. The Razor is stout and heavy when compared to other models and makes. Either would be very suitable for your rifle. I actually prefer a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x Mil-R which is excellent for hunting and ranging.

If you expect to go longer eventually, you could consider the NXS 5.5-22x with the Velocity 1000 reticle. All this is on their website:

NXS

Regards.

I will look at both of them later on and thank you for the advice. Being new to this its a bit overwhelming with all the different options. I have no experience with a FFP scope. But my understanding is just the crosshairs increase proportionally to the target as magnification is either increased or decreased. Is there actually a advantage to FFP over SFP

I will look at both of them later on and thank you for the advice. Being new to this its a bit overwhelming with all the different options. I have no experience with a FFP scope. But my understanding is just the crosshairs increase proportionally to the target as magnification is either increased or decreased. Is there actually a advantage to FFP over SFP

It boils down to personal preference and application(s). Perhaps, this will help ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/4XgugJSqpoE?t=1[/ame]

If you use the reticle subtensions, in SFP you'll need it to have it at a ceratin setting, normally at max magnification; for FFP, it's calibrated at any magnification.

Cheers!

I am building a 300 win mag for long range. I just bought the Burris XTRII. It has some very nice features. 2 years ago I tried the Vortex PST Viper ffp. I could'nt sell it fast enough. Horrible scope.
Check out the Burris!
Thanks, Kirk

Some good scopes have been mentioned and as a general rule you get what you pay for with optics. I have most experience with the NXS and the Mark 4 and love both of them but I also recently gave the Burris XTR II a try and have to say that functionality has turned out to be a good performer. The reticle does not appear as polished as the NXS or Mark 4 and under high magnification is a little too heavy but the elevation and windage adjustment is spot on. I thought the thicker reticle was going to be a problem but I was still able to easily locate it accurately on the target. The glass was not up to the NXS standard but was able to hit our 2000 yard target with 2 consecutive shots after adjusting from up from the 1200 yard target (just for reference, that doesn't happen for me very often). To explain my process, I sight in at 300 zero working up loads in an effort to group within 1.5 inches (1/2 MOA). I then shoot at 1200 yards starting with the predicted turret adjustment based on the velocity and advertised BC. After adjusting the scope to consistently hit the target I adjust the G7 BC on the shooter app until it agrees with the actual number clicks used to hit the target. I then take test shots at 750 and 1000 yards and may need to make slight changes in velocity and/or BC in the app to effectively mirror the true bullet arch. This is the point at which I dialed in the adjustments recommended by the shooter app for 2000 yard and hit on the next 2 shots (18" x 18" metal plates). There was a very slight breeze, hardly noticeable, and just predicted a 2.5 foot drift. Sorry if I got a little carried away but I guess the final point is that the Burris tracks accurately but not the most aesthetically pleasing article. Good value

I will take a look at all the above mentioned scopes and do appreciate all the input.
Can someone tell me if this is a NF NSX 5.5X22X50 it has the NPR1 reticle. It is a used scope and in my approximate budget.
All input much appreciated. Rather spend a little more over not being satisifed

I will take a look at all the above mentioned scopes and do appreciate all the input.
Can someone tell me if this is a NF NSX 5.5X22X50 it has the NPR1 reticle. It is a used scope and in my approximate budget.
All input much appreciated. Rather spend a little more over not being satisifed

Great scope

THanks for any help

NİGHTFORCE NXS 8-32X56 love it

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I don't think you can go wrong with the choices you mentioned above. IIWY, I would save some money for future upgrades and go with the 3-15x42 SWFA (in SFP or FFP, MILs or MOA) for under $700 and enjoy the LRH/S learning process; they are a lot of scopes for the money. I have the 5-20 HD and they are simply amazing.

Good luck!

Yep! I have 2 myself. One fixed power MilQuad reticle I got back in 2013/2014 (can't remember), and one of their 3-15x42 scopes with the new MilQuad DM reticle last month. They are a lot of scope for the money...And built like tanks, to boot.

Also, the Vortex Viper HS-T scopes are one of the best scopes for the money available today. I have 3 of these, and a Viper HS. Vortex builds some awesome optics for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.