Long Range Optics Advice

I am on the opposite point of view for a FFP scope vs. SFP scope for hunting. All of my scopes with the exception of my .22s are FFP. From my .223 AR for varmint and off season high power bunny hunting, to my mountain carry rifles, to my long range paper and elk killers. I want my subtensions to remain accurate holds at all magnification ranges. And if time does not allow for dialing for elevation, and I need half power for an accurate hold, I want to be able to know a 1MIL hold is a 1 MIL hold on 5x, 9.7x, 13.5x, 18x, or 25x. SFP scopes are only true on max magnification. They double in value at exactly half magnification, and quadruple at quarter mag. But add that to a yardage difference multiplier, and knowing EXACTLY what half magnification actually is and dialing it right, makes it a PITA when in the field to get truly accurate holds. Close is usually good enough for hunting big game, but I would prefer perfect holds vs. good holds.

Almost every FFP reticle has a wider outer crosshair to be able to pick up the reticle quickly when on minimum power. Very few exceptions are something like the S&B H2CMR, which I actually have 2 of. The 5-25 pictured above (which you can still easily see on 5x), and a 3-20×50. That reticle does get very fine on 3x, but is still visible. And turning on the daytime bright illumination makes it look like a bright red + even on 3x.

SFP scopes are only true on max magnification. They double in value at exactly half magnification, and quadruple at quarter mag. But add that to a yardage difference multiplier, and knowing EXACTLY what half magnification actually is and dialing it right, makes it a PITA when in the field to get truly accurate holds. Close is usually good enough for hunting big game, but I would prefer perfect holds vs. good holds.

Vortex PST SFP scopes are indexed on the magnification ring for precise adjustment, so that the reticle hash marks are exactly double, triple, and quadruple their values at max magnification. The indexes are visual and physical as well. You can adjust the zoom ring so the hash marks are 2x, 3x, or 4x without removing your eye from the scope. I have tested them and the settings seem to be spot on. Pretty good innovation on Vortex's part.

Vortex PST SFP scopes are indexed on the magnification ring for precise adjustment, so that the reticle hash marks are exactly double, triple, and quadruple their values at max magnification. The indexes are visual and physical as well. You can adjust the zoom ring so the hash marks are 2x, 3x, or 4x without removing your eye from the scope. I have tested them and the settings seem to be spot on. Pretty good innovation on Vortex's part.

VERY cool innovation! Is this on the old PST, or the new PST II? I never noticed it on several older PST scopes I have shot behind.

I have more Vortex scopes than anything else. I also currently have/had Vortex, Kahles, Leupold, Zeiss, Simmons, Nikon, Bushnell, Tasco, Bausch & Lomb (before they were Bushnell), and the list goes on...

For the money, the old Zeiss Conquest and Vortex Viper HS/HS-T scopes are nearly impossible to beat. Now, for your main hunting rifle, where it only goes in the woods, and when hunting you grab it 9/10 times, then it's worth it to spend a ton of money on 1 scope. For example, my main deer rifle has a Kahles Helia KX 3.5-10x50 4D-Dot on it. This is not a cheap scope, but it's also not going to be shot more than around 500 yards, since most deer hunting around here won't ever be beyond that, unless you intentionally plan on shooting that far.

For my target and LR hunting rifles, I have matching setups using Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 MRAD scopes, EGW HD 20MOA bases, and Seekins Precision 30mm Low rings. The more familiar everything is, the more proficient you will be with your guns, and swapping between them.

The reason I have never opted to spend $2,000+ on a target scope, is because #1) I'm far from well-off in the ol' money department...And #2) I have too many guns to scope, and if I buy something that nice, I might go beyond broke trying to scope them all with matching NF scopes, and that would cost a small-fortune that I don't have. If I won the lottery, you can bet your last dollar I'll have the nicest rigs money can buy...But until that day, I'll use what I can afford, and what works just fine for the much lower price of $640 each, versus $2,500+ each. :cool:

The problem with going with a top of the line scope is exactly as stated above. Once you go top tier, everything else looks terrible and you want to scope all of your rifles with good glass.

Luckily, shooting/hunting is my only vice. I don't drink, smoke, drugs, don't have a big house payment, my trucks are paid off, and only have one kid left at Home. And she shoots almost as much as I do. So I can save my pennies and get good rifles & glass.

So since the OP asked for opinions on good scopes with a $2500 budget, I have no qualms about not including mid-range scope options. I have had plenty of them. And all of them were sold at a loss. Buy once, cry once is now my motto.

NF SHV is also a great option. Dollar for dollar, I think my SHV is an awesome scope. It's been from 100 to 1100+ to many times to count and the tracking has been perfect.

They're not the best glass available but at less than $1K for a used one , they're a bargain. I have owned all of the best glass recently, and my SHV isn't for sale. Matter of fact , I think I like it better than my ATACR per dollar spent.

I have a few high end(approx.$2500) scopes. The two scopes that I find well suited for LR hunting when weight and bulk are important considerations are the March 5x25x52 and the Vortex AMG. I have now used the March extensively and a more recently acquired a Vortex AMG 6x25x50. Weight and size is perfect at 23-28oz, 30mm tubes, and 50-52mm obj lenses. IMO, the glass and turret performance on either is second to none compared any of the scopes in this price class and they can serve double duty as a scope for the Tacticsl/PRS games quite effectively if so desired.

I have a mark 4, zeiss conquest, sightron s-tac, Burris veracity, and recently purchased a vx3- lrp. The lrp has the same glass as the mark 4, lighter tube construction, zero stop elevation turret, and impact reticle for holdovers, I would take a look at one for a lr hunting scope.

To save money, the sightron is unbeatable, clear, 4-20 zoom, precise turret movement. But none, excluding lrp, beat the mark 4 for low light and I've tested them on a full moon night.

I unfortunately have only looked through your mentioned scopes and can't compare them to mine.

I agree with others, for hunting get a sfp scope or else illuminated ffp, in low light you will not see your crosshairs at low magnification. I know it's a long range hunting site, but it's hunting an sooner or later you will have to make a quick 50 yd shot with your long range rifle. It's happened to me twice now

Try a Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50. Some of the very best glass ever made, 24.4oz, amazing turrets w. perfect tracking, Gen 2XR illuminated reticle (also available in MOA), low profile turrets, zero stop, super generous eye box & relief, 12 MIL of elevation travel gets me to 1440 yards with my .280AI pushing a 168 HVLD @ 2900fps. Still under Tangent Theta warranty too.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.