Opinions on prvi partizan brass

In order of purchasing new brass:
  1. Lapua
  2. Norma
  3. PPU
  4. Peterson
PPU and Peterson are a close tie.

I will not buy new from Win, Fed, Rem, Hornady, Sig or Nosler. Just looking through their packaging, I have seen defects in Sig brass and that crosses them off my list.
I have some ADG, but haven't fired it enough to make an assessment. It seems thicker than most and a wee bit softer than Lapua.

Used some in 7rm, it may be thinner than others. Skim turned the necks and they would barely hold a bullet after sizing with standard sizing die. Neck wall was about 0.011" thick. Bushing die would solve that though, JME.

PPU or Prvi Partizan makes all sorts of weaponry ammo like mortar, artillery & such. They are located in Serbia & have been making high quality ammo for years to supply various armies. I buy 200 or more PPU 7X57 brass whenever available to feed my 6mm AI's - neck down, fire form, turn, & trim. Good for 7 or more reloads depending - .22-.250 & 243W works good also.

Last edited:
In order of purchasing new brass:
  1. Lapua
  2. Norma
  3. PPU
  4. Peterson
PPU and Peterson are a close tie.

I will not buy new from Win, Fed, Rem, Hornady, Sig or Nosler. Just looking through their packaging, I have seen defects in Sig brass and that crosses them off my list.
I have some ADG, but haven't fired it enough to make an assessment. It seems thicker than most and a wee bit softer than Lapua.
Any opinion on Starline or Alpha? I have good luck with Starline Brass based on my amp settings it's a little bit thicker than Hornady, but not as thick as Lapua or alpha.

Any opinion on Starline or Alpha? I have good luck with Starline Brass based on my amp settings it's a little bit thicker than Hornady, but not as thick as Lapua or alpha.
I have gobs of Starline in 45/70, 357 Mag, & 44 Mag -- great stuff. I've never tried their bottle necked cartridges.
I've never purchased Alpha, so don't have an opinion.
Alpha is some very good brass.

I will not buy Norma, too soft.
I've not had that experience with Norma softness at all in 308, 243, 204 Ruger or 6mm Rem. Norma had a sale on 223 a few years back where you could buy a box of 20 for $5.99. I bought 20 boxes but haven't shot any of them yet, choosing to shoot my reloads instead. I'll get around to them eventually and will see how those fare.

What is your end result of "too soft"?
I think Hornady is too soft, which makes for forming it easily into wildcats, but it will split after two or three firings, despite annealing.
On an aside, it can be a bear to wildcat from a Lapua cartridge. I've converted a bunch of Peterson 300 PRC brass into 7LRM and it's holding up exceptionally well.
Federal and Nosler primer pockets become loose after a few firings.
In my 243, I've had too many split necks and cracked shoulders among Rem and Fed brass.
Old Win brass (blue bag or yellow cartridge box) in my 284 shoots great. The black bag stuff is rubbish because it's too irregular. Stand cases on a machinist's block and it will not have a 90° angle to its base.
I don't keep tabs on which brass grows more and needs more trimming. That would be a good metric.

I have gobs of Starline in 45/70, 357 Mag, & 44 Mag -- great stuff. I've never tried their bottle necked cartridges.
I've never purchased Alpha, so don't have an opinion.

I've not had that experience with Norma softness at all in 308, 243, 204 Ruger or 6mm Rem. Norma had a sale on 223 a few years back where you could buy a box of 20 for $5.99. I bought 20 boxes but haven't shot any of them yet, choosing to shoot my reloads instead. I'll get around to them eventually and will see how those fare.

What is your end result of "too soft"?
I think Hornady is too soft, which makes for forming it easily into wildcats, but it will split after two or three firings, despite annealing.
On an aside, it can be a bear to wildcat from a Lapua cartridge. I've converted a bunch of Peterson 300 PRC brass into 7LRM and it's holding up exceptionally well.
Federal and Nosler primer pockets become loose after a few firings.
In my 243, I've had too many split necks and cracked shoulders among Rem and Fed brass.
Old Win brass (blue bag or yellow cartridge box) in my 284 shoots great. The black bag stuff is rubbish because it's too irregular. Stand cases on a machinist's block and it will not have a 90° angle to its base.
I don't keep tabs on which brass grows more and needs more trimming. That would be a good metric.
I Agree With This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Never had a issue with Norma and I shoot a few different Weatherby.
As mentioned Hornady to me is Junk.
I think Alpha is as good as Lapua and Peterson. IMO.👍🎅

For what ever reason, the loads that I shoot in Winchester brass, the velocity just does not hold up in the Norma, 243, 204, and 6 Rem. Of course I backed off on the load and worked up in the Norma:

22/204- Winchester shooting the 55's at 3700
243-Winchester brass shooting the 80s at 3400
6 Rem-Winchester brass shooting the 80's at 3500
These are the accuracy nodes

if you can find any, PMC in the 243 is very tough brass

Prvi Partizan brass is quite decent and probably due to the amount of military contract ammunition they do, it seems like they stay on top of the tooling maintenance and replacement.

My M700 Varmint (RR prefix) does not like the batch of ppu brass I had. I had to carry a dead blow hammer to overcome the primary extraction issue. My Fed. brass seems to work.
7x57 PPU reworked to 6mm Rem works good.
.308 Win PPU works ok in M1A. But does not hold up like LC brass.