Opinions on a good straight up hunting optic for $500-$700 dollars

Or a new one for about $50 more depending upon reticle. For my money if I'm gonna pay near new money for a scope I mite as swell buy a new one. The Leupold 171715 I can get for $749 delivered.
Street price is $850-$950. Can the op get the same deal on a new one?

IMHO most of the scopes mentioned are overkill for a lightweight hunting rifle.

Keep it light, keep it low and keep it simple.

The best choice for decades has been the Leupold 2.5-8x36. Everytime I see one at a bargain price I buy it.

Dad has a zeiss 2.5-8x42 duralyt that he said I can use until he has a a rifle meant for that scope. Pretty nice piece of glass. Still need something of my own. Semi-long range capability is nice to have but I'm probably over thinking this alittle. I just like to have nice glass. Once you've owned it it's kinda hard to go back. I've been looking at the vx-5 hd some. Also saw the sig saur whiskey 5. That seemed like it was in the same caliber scope range. Any thoughts on that? Looking at the 2-10 power model. This will also be my tracking rifle for when we get snow and those shots will be up close and personal so a minimum of 3 power is a must

IMHO most of the scopes mentioned are overkill for a lightweight hunting rifle.

Keep it light, keep it low and keep it simple.

The best choice for decades has been the Leupold 2.5-8x36. Everytime I see one at a bargain price I buy it.
My go-to is close.... the old VXIII 1.75 to 6 x 32. They had a short one and a long one. I have 3 shorts. I'd buy another if I they made them.

Now all these are sutible for long range--and I will say I have had experience with them

Cheap: Bushnell Forge- can be found between $400-$550
Riton model RTS model 7 4x20 can be had for$ 400-500
Arken Optics EP4 $600 (glass quality is not as good as forge)
Althlon Ares BTR (really suprized me--not bad) $650-700
Sightron S-tac. Usually around $400-500
Medium: Bushnell LRHS--LRTS: $650-$800 (solid LR Optics)
Bushnell DMR a little heavy but solid LR optic (900-1300)
Higher: Maven RS3 $1600
Leupold Mark 5 3x18 $1800+++
S&B EXOS +++++
TT hunter (I wish) +++++++

Last edited:
It is just a plane jane scope. My guess is that it is going to be a soon to be discontinued model. Or a newer version is coming out. I did pick up two Athlon Ares Gen I scopes before the Gen II came out. Real nice scopes for great money. One heck of a deal I thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts