Opinions on a good straight up hunting optic for $500-$700 dollars

When did a 20+ x magnification, exposed turret, illuminated scope become a "straight up hunting scope" for 500yds anyway? I don't want to carry all that the 500 yards to where the animal fell, much less whatever distance it took to find it before the shot!

I said that is what I would do, not what you should do.

Those US Optics are not made in the USA...they are made in China. I hear good things...but are not their B series...the B series are made in the USA

I got an e-mail confirmation from USO that they are indeed made in China and then sent here in the US (NC) for quality control purposes and shipment to customers.

Last edited:
Burris Veracity 3x15x50
Nightforce SHV 3X10X42
Leupold 3x15x50 with Boone & Crockett reticle

All 3 of the above are better than the Vortex HSLR. I have the 6x24x50 Vortex and it is a good scope, but I would prefer any of the 3 above over it for hunting. 6x is to much for short range target acquisition.

My 2 personal favorites that I own are the Burris veracity and a Leupold VX6 2-12 boone and Crockett reticle.

Do yourself a favor -
Nightforce SHV - You should be able to find a used one in excellent shape in your price range.
I have them on a 30-06 and also a 257 Wby.

I looked through a 4.5-14 vx3i today. 30mm tube. To be perfectly honest I wasnt very impressed. The one thing I really didnt like was it seemed the eye box was very unforgiving. Seemed if I moved my head even just alittle bit I started to see shadows in the scope. Clarity was ok. I'd say about what a vortex hs-t is maybe slightly better. I think I'm going to look into something different than the vx3i

I put a Leo VX-3i 4.5-14x50 LRP on my 6.5 CM last year and have been more than satisfied. I paid $700 on sale at Midway. I've since put the 8.5-25x50 LRP on my 22-250AI and my 204 Ruger. The 4.5-14x50 weighs 20.3 oz.

Hey guys, what all your opinions on a good hunting scope to go on a tikka t3x lite in 6.5 creed? Trying to keep the overall package around 8lbs scoped. This will be my 0-500 yard whitetail rifle and will also be for my boy when he goes hunting next year so I dont need anything fancy. Looking for something in that 3-15ish power range with an easy to use reticle. Illumination is nice but not a must. A low profile exposed turrent is a bonus. I've seen a few but just cant make up my mind. Trying to keep in around d 500-700 bucks
Most of my hunting optics are Leupold 3-9x40s.

Take a look at the Maven RS2, factory direct for $550. A little love if you're a veteran. I've got the RS1 and the RS3, great glass, accurate tracking. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
Lot of recommendations for a VX-3i, and I have owned a few of them. While I don't have anything truly bad to say about the VX-3i scopes, I notice a big difference between them and the VX-5HD-- I much prefer the VX-5HD. Take this with a bit of salt, as I'm relatively new myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.