One Gun?

The 30-06 is one of my favorite cartridges.I've used a 7mag a lot over the years and it's a great all around cartridge too.It shoots a little flatter than my 30-06,but honestly I don't see much difference between the two on how they perform on game.I've hunted that Wyoming Range up near the Greys River years ago.I was carrying a 25-06 at the time and wished I had a little more rifle when I was up in those mountains.The shots can be rather long out there,the game hunted can be large and I'd want something that has plenty of punch way out there.I wouldn't limit myself to one gun.I would have several.My choices would be for a non-reloader,30-06,7mag,300 Win Mag and a 338 Win Mag.

Obviously an impossible question but.....
I have a fair collection of interesting rifles.
I HAVE a VERY good 30-06....
Do i "need" a new/different ONE GUN for that potential short notice go to the remotes big game hunt? I.E. short notice fill in for elk/moose to prime area.
Im good to 500yds.
Thinking a 7mm Rem or 300 Win?
Love the STW but looking at availability of factory ammo.
Heavy for caliber bullet guy, not especially susceptible to recoil but a 7 does kick less than a 300....and of course 300 hits harder on the downrange end.
Thoughts?
In regard to, "The Impossible Question." I have several different rifles of different calibers, .223, .270, .308, 30-06 and 300 WM. Which one would I choose if I had to limit myself to only one rifle? As they say, Decisions, decisions! Actually the choice comes down to the 30-06 or the 300WM with the win going to the 30-06. Why the 30-06, simply versatility. The 30-06 can be used for varmint hunting with 125gr bullets or moose and big bears with the 220gr bullets and everything in between including match shooting of various forms. The same is somewhat true for the 300WM, with the addition of additional powder requirements along with the associated recoil. When it comes to the availability of factory ammunition the 30-06 is the clear winner. 30-06 ammo is available virtually everywhere ammunition is sold around the world. Not necessarily so much with other calibers. So, in my humble estimation if I was limited to only one rifle it would be a 30-06.

Do i "need" a new/different ONE GUN for that potential short notice go to the remotes big game hunt? I.E. short notice fill in for elk/moose to prime area.
Im good to 500yds.
Heavy for caliber bullet guy, not especially susceptible to recoil but a 7 does kick less than a 300....and of course 300 hits harder on the downrange end.
Thoughts?
I had a 7mm STW for a while, in a Weatherby Mk.V. it was a nice rifle, but only grouped well with 175 grain bullets, Sierra GMK's, Nosler Partitions, and Accubonds. Velocity average for both was 3,040. Being an Accumark it was a bit heavier than I wanted for mountain carry. And since my .300 Winchester was slightly lighter, and shot 180 grain Partitions at 3,124, I just stuck with that. Oh, and as far as recol, the STW had a pretty good belt to it, it definitely did not kick less than my .300 Win., more like somewhere in between the Win, and a .300 Weatherby. As for favorite all around, I'll admit I am lucky and spoiled in that area. I have a favorite Pre-64 M70 in .300 H&H I've carried for years and have complete confidence in. The .300 Winchester mentioned is a custom M70, push feed in a synthetic stock that's a trusted friend. As I've gotten older and hiked more miles, and have on a couple occasions found myself separated from my ammunition by happenstance. I've come to the conclusion that the old man was right when he told me long ago, "Kid, get a .30-06 and forget about it. " I would never suggest that it is the best tool for all jobs, certainly not, but as I've gotten grayer, I've found I reach for it more often than not, and it always works if I do my part.

I have an STW, very good performing cartridge but ammo and good brass is nearly non-existent. Good brass is non-existent and the case design is not suited well for heavy for caliber bullets, unless you throat long and make it a single shot. If you handload a 338 SS will cover every base you might need in North America, from antelope to mosse and bear, and do it well in a short or medium length action. Excellent long range performance and little performance loss with short barrels down to 20". I personally believe if I had to own one rifle for every hunting opportunity the 338 SS fills that roll considerably better than any other cartridge. It also does very well at close range, with the right bullet selection. Even a 300 SS would work very well in the one gun position. If your not looking to handload and looking for ammo availability, 30-06 gets my vote. After all these years I am still a fan of the old 06.

Last edited:
I own a 30-06 (over the counter Browning) and have taken ground hogs to elk with it. Elk and Mule Deer out to 400+ yards and most were DRT. I started with factory ammo and then began reloading. With the reloads, it now shoots inside the diameter of a dime at 200 yards from a bench. Shot placement is the most important aspect of taking any game animal. It's the only rifle you "NEED" to take virtually any game animal in North America. Having said that, if you have the $ and want another rifle, just go buy one! So many choices, so little time.... :)

I can't retire!
After 35 years of farming... 1) I can't afford it! 2) Love what I do! 3) I'd be lost without it!
I learned early on I am NOT cut out to be a farmer/rancher. I have lots of respect for people like you, and I am glad you guys are willing and able to do so. Thank you. I retired from the USAF in 2007 but still work for the Department of the Air Force, working on a second retirement as a civil servant. I am eligible to retire now, but the penalty is too significant for early retirement, maybe in a couple of years.

Ed

Im good to 500yds.
Thoughts?
7mm rem is my favorite

Fresh out of the military and headed back to upstate NY, I was looking for a 270 as my "one gun", but stumbled onto a S&W ( Howa) 30-06 for sale inexpensively.
I ^^just^^ ran some of my near thrity year old handloads from those days, my "crow loads" with Speer 125 gr TNT heads, and AA2700 powder. Geez even my M1 Garand eats them up ok. I handloaded all the way to 180gr "woods and bear" loads. Never went to 200 gr.
Found that an -06 is WAY WAY too much rifle for whitetail deer at close range here in NY. went to a super light Win70 243.

When I look at the ballistic tables, which I just did with my son, and see the drops @500 yds between 30-06, 308, 6.5 CR, 270, 300 WM, it isnt ALL that substantial. Differnces, yes, but at the margins. Yes, and I have a 300WM barrel ready to build with. Yet....?

The marginally larger drops of antique full power rounds is nothing a modern "digital" scope like a SigSauer BDX can;t handle with ease. I could easily swap out the BDX from my LR308, toss it atop my Howa '06 bolt and start "ranging" @ 500-1000 yds with some dope help. If I EVER get to hunt out west I will. With my old ONE GUN 30-06. The Howa so far has only shown 1.2 MOA capability, although i never developed benchrest loads for it. Western shooting, I'd load 165-175 gr SP BT and have at it with a "300 yd zero" so to speak, digitally.

Anyway that's my solution to my "range" issue with the 06. In the mean, I've bought more '06s, a BLR lever and some antique assault guns from the CMP! So having a -06 in battery from civvie day one wasn't a hinderance at all! Yeah, I know I aint "one of the boys" with their fancy new 6.5s, but we often did more with less back in the day. Just my POV. I am clearly NOT an "early adopter". Am Not a "techie", being from back in the old K_I_S_S days, aka not liking any bat powered device in the woods frankly. But I carry a phone and sometimes GPS so...

PS I still think .27 cal is a dandy for a range rifle, just like Mr Garand initially did back in the day! :) and if I was buying a new "lr" rifle theoretically, I'd choose a modern round with their short squat fat brass. 6.8W, 7STW...300STW Seem more efficient with the pressure spikes.

Or pick up a new optical set for your -06. BDX scope + rangefinder and go range elk at 650 and beyond. ONE GUN baby! and i'm sure it would work fine.

Last edited:
Im good to 500yds.
Thoughts?