No one responded!

PaulG

No one responded to my post on the Winchester model 70 -- I guess that says it all
shocked.gif

PaulG,

I would say on average the Rem 700 and Savage rifles will out shoot the Win M70.

That is on average. I have shot several M70's that are true tack drivers, generally after some tuning.

On average I would say the Rem 700 and Savage are more likely to produce finer accuracy.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Paul, you didn't get much response because with factory rifles, results can vary so much.

I just picked up a base model Savage 110 in 270 that shoots 1/4MOA. Will all Savages shoot that well? Maybe...

so with factory rifles, you pays your money and you take your chances. If the worker was off a few thou on the reamer, that rifle will never shoot. However, it is still within factory specs so out it goes.

many companies have tightened up their quality control and also the chamber dimensions they use. Winchester/Browning have really done that with their WSM, etc rifles.

Many are reported to shot MOA or better with factory ammo. That is very good performance.

Almost all rifles will shoot better when properly bedded and tuned, shot with good ammo by a competent shooter. You just sometimes have to work at it.

Remember that many hunting bullets are simply not accurate. So trying to make them shoot tiny groups would be a big waste of time and money. Don't blame the rifle in that case.

Jerry

Hey Fifty Driver Hey I ask you this a while back.A comparison between a New Remington 700LV-SF and a Sako 75 both in 22-250.I think you said the Sako has a better BBL but you can do more with a Remington.My question is.A Gun dealer in Mo is willing to trade me a NIB Rem 700LV-SF for my AR-15.My rifle is in great shape,I like the Rem. Its just how is the quality control at Remington these days.I want a light varminter for coyotes.As with my AR here in Ca the laws suck!!! plus I can't pass it on to knowbody if I kick the bucket.Do you think this is a fair trade.Love my rifle but its not super pratical for varmint shootin.
confused.gif

Iron Worker,

I guess it all depends on what brand of AR you have and the options and condition it is in.

I looked up the LV-SF and I could bring one in for resale at around $700.

I do not know what brand of AR you have but I looked up the Bushmaster rifles and on the low end they are running in the $800 range and top end they are at nearly $1500 depending on model and options you get.

So if your AR is a quality built one which I would imagine it is, and if it is in good condition, I would say the dealer would be getting a much better deal then you would be getting.

I can understand wanting to get out from under the AR being in California and the LV-SF would be a much better varminter and yote rifle so it would have to be your decision.

If you have a top end AR of any brand, I would say that you would be loosing money trading straight across on the rifles, at least this is what the dealer prices I am lloking at now tells me for both rifles.

If you have used your AR alot then it may be a good trade.

As far as Rem quality control, I guess I am a bad person to ask in a sence because as a custom rifle builder I get to see what is on the inside of these factory action, all factory actions and actually measure the problem areas to see just how bad they are.

My opoinion is that for how these rifles are built, they shoot far better then one would imaging they should.

That said, there are some that shoot extemely well out of the box with only a trigger job. I would certainly say that it would average tighter groups then your AR unless you AR has been fully accurized.

To be honest, I am have not been really impressed with the QD from Remington but I would not say they are any worse then anyone else and they are better then alot of them.

Just really depends on how bad you want to trade off your AR and get into a bolt gun.

Personally, I think Rem is charging to much for this LV-SF for what they are offering. The ones I have shot and from those that I talk to about other LV-SF rifles they are pretty good shooters for a light weight, 22" rifle but in all honestly, the standard ADL rifles I have shot perform just as well with a trigger job and possible a fresh crown to clean up the factory cut.

And they are running in the $400 range or a bit under for the short action varmint rounds and they are available in the 204, 223, 22-250 and 243 for varmint and dog hunters.

They are blued barreled actions but thsi is prefered to the stainless for coyote hunting, so better concealment qualities, at least up here in MT this is preferred.

And besided the Stainless action, they use the same action and barreling process. Your basically paying +$300 for a different style stock, and stainless steel. Thats alot more then it should be in my opinion.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

My Ar is a "Colt Sporter H-Bar 1 in 9 twist" (AR-15 with out bayonet lug) it shoots a 69 gr Sierra MK MOA.Its 100%Colt.I like your explination of the LV-SF.I'm having great dificulty moving this rifle since the "Sun set on the Sunset Law"This rifle is in great shape I've shot it a whole bunch.I really like the looks of the Remie but which I could get a Sako.What trigger would you want to put on it a jewel? How much would you want to tune this rifle up?

My Ar is a "Colt Sporter H-Bar 1 in 9 twist" (AR-15 with out bayonet lug) it shoots a 69 gr Sierra MK MOA.Its 100%Colt.I like your explination of the LV-SF.I'm having great dificulty moving this rifle since the "Sun set on the Sunset Law"This rifle is in great shape I've shot it a whole bunch.I really like the looks of the Remie but which I could get a Sako.What trigger would you want to put on it a jewel? How much would you want to tune this rifle up?

Iron Worker,

The COlt rifles have list higher then the Bushmasters by a fair margin. The lowest price model I see would run in the $900 range new.

Course if your looking to get out from under this rifle it may be worth accepting a lower price. It does sound like a good shooter though.

As far as triggers go, there is certainly no going wrong with a Jewel. They are the best I have fitted and used on the Rem rifles but they are spendy which is sometimes a consideration.

I have fitted a few of the Rifle Basix triggers lately and have been pretty impressed with them.

I put one of the 1.5 to 6 oz triggers on my 338 Kahn and tested it at the lightest setting and it was consistant and safe. I just do not care for that light of a trigger.

I like to feel the trigger a little before it goes off so I adjusted it to 6 oz and love it. I shoot so many rifles for the shop that its hard to stay in tune with a 2 oz trigger when your shooting 2.5 lb triggers all day. 6 oz is just better for me.

For your needs I would certainly not get this trigger. I fitted an L-1 Rifles Basix trigger yesterday to a 1000 yard rifle chambered for a fast twist 22-6mm AI. This trigger has a pull setting range of 1.5 to 3 lbs. Adjusted to 1.5 lbs it feels very nice for a generaly use target or varminting trigger.

But it also allows the pull weight to be increased slightly to better suit hunting such as yotes and big game.

Price wise this trigger runs in the $90 range installed.

Drop me an e-mail at: [email protected]

I will get you some pricing on how we can tune up the little Rem. Without a new barrel we are limited on the amount of accurizing that can be done but there are a few things that we can do to help accuracy and consistancy.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Why not just accurize the AR and have at it. I'm sure you know but ARs are shot in competition all the time at long range, coyotes won't know the difference.

Properly set up they shoot great.

Hey DWN its cause of the sickning Gun laws here in Queer California.[I'm not one of those are anybody I know] but some of them make the gun laws in this state.Hey would you like to buy my AR-15 H-BAR?
confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.