Ole 270 comes back to life!

PERFECT! The laminate stock looks great witht he SS barrel! Now I have a good blueprint for my .270 Win build as well. I was leaning toward a 26" to gain just a little more juice and good info on the 170 Berger as well. Do you have enough free bore for the Hammer 156 or 168 HH?
Pretty sure you would want to load one and see where the bullet sits in relation to the neck junction. I haven't shot the hammers.

Just plain ole spec reamer! It is working fine but, I would like some freebore. I like my bullets at the neck junction. Just things to consider if you want to try the heavy bullets in a 270. It's not a compressed load with the Ramshot mag.

dxlbaile: I have an old 52 year old Savage 110C flat top .270 that the COAL of the clip is 3.45. I was looking at it after reading your post and was thinking maybe it has enough COAL? I was thinking of ordering a 5R 26" 1:8 and IF the COAL of the old mag was long enough it could save me some $$ on stock at least for now.

Last edited:
dxlbaile with a 24inch barrel that is smoking fast i think feenix 270 AI has a 28inch tube ...have you tryed the fairy dust RL26 in it ..

Mine has 30" Lilja 1:8" 3G ...

2 of 2 coyote.jpg

Awesome that is a coyote killing machine for sure Feenix...

I have not tried RL 26 I locked a bolt up down on the desert shooting it and won't use if for hunting again.. It is temp sensitive in hot country..

3.386 is .015 off the lands for me.. it gives me one in the chamber and one in the magazine that will fit.. Two on the side of the rifle... I guess if you were really going to design one, you would want a wyatt's box to get the length ..

I never reached pressure with the Ram shot Mag.. I found this node and stuck with the accuracy.

dxlbaile: I have an old 52 year old Savage 110C flat top .270 that the COAL of the clip is 3.45. I was looking at it after reading your post and was thinking maybe it has enough COAL? I was thinking of ordering a 5R 26" 1:8 and IF the COAL of the old mag was long enough it could save me some $$ on stock at least for now.
I think the coal with the 170eol is right around 3.475 putting the bullet where it needs to be in the case. Your 3.45 is so close I don't think you'd lose a thing.

Guys for the record I just realized I made a mistake here.. I was shooting 3 different rifles and My 33 nosler velocity was 3000.. Looking in my Labradar the velocity was 2900 fps on the 270.. Between the 270, 33 nos, 6.5 x 47 lapua i got that a little screwed up.. Just wanted to clarify so you don't wonder why you aren't getting 3000.. sorry for the confusion ... I must be getting old.. just turned 50 and I am losing my beans... NOt a good sign! Maybe with a 26 barrel and some R 26 you would get there.. Anyway I appologize for the mis post on velocity.. Don't want to lead anyone in the wrong direction...2900 is still great for a 170. I can see I need to stick to one gun at a time..

Guys for the record I just realized I made a mistake here.. I was shooting 3 different rifles and My 33 nosler velocity was 3000.. Looking in my Labradar the velocity was 2900 fps on the 270.. Between the 270, 33 nos, 6.5 x 47 lapua i got that a little screwed up.. Just wanted to clarify so you don't wonder why you aren't getting 3000.. sorry for the confusion ... I must be getting old.. just turned 50 and I am losing my beans... NOt a good sign! Maybe with a 26 barrel and some R 26 you would get there.. Anyway I appologize for the mis post on velocity.. Don't want to lead anyone in the wrong direction...2900 is still great for a 170. I can see I need to stick to one gun at a time..
Preaching to the choir here. We all have several guns we load for. Hell, I have waaaay more than I need to load for right now. I mix up load data ( not loading) and numbers all the time. It's easy to do. I can't remember my numbers from the 6.5-284 from the 284 at times. I'm not even 60 yet. It happens regardless of age. It's just alot of info and data to process and relay. No explanation needed here.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.