Older 30-06 ADL

MDM11700

I'm thinking about picking up a older Rem 700 ADL in 30-06'..nice gun..good bluing wood about 75%...What would I need to do to turn this into a 270 Allen Mag...and what would be the cost to do so...Which type of stock would you use and how long would it take to have it done...If possible...on pricing..who's stocks would give the longest service while being the most accurate...One last question..if I properly clean and run near top loads..what is the relative life of the barrel until accuracy drops off where it's time to re barrel...I don't like rifles that group over 1 moa @100...and much prefer better accuracy...Hunting and target shooting is what I want to do with it..for a possible out west hunt..I'm in St.Louis

Thanks

Mac

Drop FiftyDriver an email and he'll answer your questions, he's the guru of the Allen Magnums. His email is in his profile.

Don

I did the same thing with an even older 721 REM. Will worth the very reasonable $.

It's best to get in line early. All the good smith's have no shortage of work.

Also with he 270 AM you'd only have to drive to Little America on I-80 in WY, set up in the sage brush near the hotel and LRH WY, CO and ID all at the same time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[email protected] for Allen Precision Shooting

Thanks for the e-mail..How do you guys like yours? I've heard some really good things about them..and seen the one in the classified that was for sale...Is this the running price of them usually...cause if it is..I might have to wait for a while getting it converted..

Mac

Mac,

The one you saw in the classifieds possibly belongs to a friend of mine. Depending on just how and what you put together depends on the final cost. When I had mine built I for the most part went with the best I could afford, and got one hell of a rifle, as did everyone else I have read about.

Contact Kirby and he will guide you through the build and you can price things out accordingly. It took me a year of saving to get mine but it has been worth every penny. THere are a few ways to save a few bucks, but after talking about it for half a year and then figureing the differences in cost I bit the bullet and went for the full blown rig.

As for the barel life, it depends on how fast you run them and how well you clean them up. Granted they aren't made for sitting on top of a PD town, but a few of them have. If used for general hunting and casual target shooting it will probably last quite a while with proper care. As for a total number of rounds down a tube I am at a loss to say what that might be.

Here is a post I started a while back to sort of help out folks like yourself as well as others who have these rigs. Sort of a share the info thing. Allen Mag Shooters Group

AS for how do I like mine, well it will reach out and touch something much further, and with more authority than anything else I have ever had the pleasure to sit behind, and do so with hardly any felt recoil. THe hardest thing about it is having to drive up to the country in order to really appreciate how far it will shoot. The ranges here in town just don't do it justice.

There are a ton of calibers out there which will hit fairly high velocities with common bullets, however there are only a handful which will push the envelope. The latter however all come with a price of shorter barrel life. But if your looking for extreme preformance, Kirby is a man with a plan, however he can also work you up a sweet standard hot rod as well.

Wow...That's a ton of reading...Looks like I'll have to talk to Kirby and discuss the particulars...I don't know about having to save for a year on this ADL refitting...I might go ahead and get it..and then get one of the new ICONS when the action is available and send it to him...I figure if I'm going to do it...it should all be new...and this ADL will get me back to shooting bolts again...Maybe I'll have it rechambered to the AI just to play with till I have all the pieces for my real LRH rifle...Thanks..Now to go start the drooling process on your guys rigs..good thing they are mostly stainless ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mac

Mac,

That 06 is a great way to get back into the bolt game for sure. There are a ton of very accurate loads and bullets from every maker that have great potential for outstanding accuracy out to as far as you might want to push things. Also if you price things out right, using some of the Rem bulk bullets and such, you can produce some pretty accurate shooting ammo for general practice and hunting that is very affordable.

Take your time plan it out with the best equipment you can, or feel you can afford, to put into your final rig, and you will not be sorry about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.