.30-06 Hunting

JP Hunter

Hi guys,
Well the long range bug has bitten my brother. Talking about this site and setting up my 300rum got him. He is out of work so a new gun is out. He has a .30-06 that soots .5" goops at 100. Not sure what the limits are. We reload 165g for our 06's. Any help wood be grate.gun)

the 30-60 is a great long range cartrige. getting out and spending the time and the rifle will show you what it can and can not do. it should push the 165 grn bullet over 3000 with the right powder. With the right combination it can and will shoot one hole groups at 100 and have no problem hitting what you are shooting at 1000

30/06

Harfman, I'm no expert, but I would agree with you until the end of your post. You probably should be shooting at paper at 1000 yds. and maybe thats what he's using it for. Your load has about 570 lbs of energy at 1000 yds. and if the gun is zero at 200 the 165 going 3000 will drop about 317 inches. One of the well respected gunsmiths on this site recently talked about the 06 as a good long range gun out to 500 or 600 yds.
Good Luck

The good old 30-06 with the right bullets has planty of energy to kill deer at 1000yds. With the right bullets I mean 175gr and up , I would shoot the 190-210gr pills to get all the good out of it assuming that the gun is up to it with those pills.

Not sure of the specs on that weapon as far as barrel lebngth twist rate and others but with a 24" barrel the 30-06 and a 1-10 twist the 30-06 can launch a 175gr Berger VLD at 2700fps easly ,that bullet at that speed will cleanly kill deer at 1000yds as will the 178gr A-max. chances are that the gun will have to be fed single shot for the long bullets to be seated out far close to the lands.

You have to get the lighter bullet cranking some serious speed for them to beat the heavier VLD's at long range ballisticaly.

If the barrel is at least 24" he could have it rechambered to 30-06 Ackley or 30 Gibbs , that would give him a bit more speed and if the gun if factroy it'll give him a better chamber also , but if its shooting .5" groups then its accurate enough to shoot long range

for the 30-06 my go to powder has always been IMR-4350 , start at 55grs and work up a half a grain at a time , generaly around 56gr-58gr is where they find the groove they like.

I have been using VihtaVuori N-165 alot lately as a replacement for 4350 and 4831 and have been getting better numbers with that as well as their 560 powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.