Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by Lead_Farmer, Apr 18, 2010.
I was woundering if a 30-06 is a good long range caliber.
30-06 is what I chose for a number of reasons.
1) I needed that caliber in the safe because it is so versatile, and what self proclaimed gun nut doesn't have at least one 06.
2) It can reach out there and touch something.
3) Ammo is everywhere and fairly reasonably priced.
4) I wanted to get started in this long range stuff with out breaking the bank (yet) on a full custom 338 ultrawhizzbanger or 22 eargensplittenloudenboomer.
5) It will kill anything within the ranges I feel comfortable shooting at an animal(less than 500 yards).
6) Recoil is mild enough for those days at the range where lots of powder is burned.
So I chose a 30-06 basically because it is a good learning tool that can fill more than one roll for me.
30-06 is a great cartridge. You can hunt anything on the North American continent out to 700 yrds. Some things farther. You will get different answers, saying go with a 300WM or a 308.
Run with the 06 and you will be happy.
The 30-06 is a great cartridge and the reason it has been so popular for 100 years. With those GS bullets Rockymtnmt uses it can reach out and kill stuff. 177 grain with .638 or so BC. All of my '06's have been accurate rifles. More efficient cartridges have been developed now like the 300 wsm and most people go with those but the 30-06 will still kill stuff just as dead as it did years ago.
my 30-06 are light guns. one is titanium. they shoot good but have 2.5-8 scopes. my 7mm mag and 300 are heavy senderos and have 6.5-20 scopes for longer range. with a 168 berger in a 30-06 sendero i would say you would have a great long range combo.
I am looking at 1000+ yd shots at paper. so how far will this caliber reach succesfuly.
When I was a young man I met a world war two vet who was an x military sniper. He challenged me to a shoot at 1000 yards with my 300 win mag. He won with iron peep sites and me with a scope. I didn't tell that story for a few years. So from that I would say they are capable 1000 yard target rifles in the right hands.
I dunno how far you can shoot one, but I can hit a big old dirt pile at 1400 with my 06 AI. I just need to get some decent mounts to determine accuracy. It took a little eyeball calculation but I was able to dial part way and aim with the belly of the scope. If I had a definate aim point and a windless day I think it would do okay for paper punching.
Read Post #13
Thinks that is all i needed to know so i will get a 30-06 it is a neat round.