Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
CM came from 30TC (came from 308). Not much of an "improved case design" Imo.
Shoulder angle is steeper, case is shorter. Less powder capacity than 260.

People can buy whatever they want. Gun dealers in my area are stuffed with CM rifles, and counter monkeys with very little real knowledge tout it loudly.

Wikepedia has a very in depth listing...….

HM

This thread is boring at this point. If a guy at the gun range challenges me to a 200 yard shoot off and runs his mouth that his 6.5 Creedmoor will out shoot anything, I'm in. I may get shown up or not. Either way, I didn't run MY mouth and I have nothing to lose. If I show him that me and my rifle choice out shot him, I may or may not boast. My choice. He did, and it didn't really workout for him. How about moving on to a fresh new subject. God knows we'll all see dozens more "Creedmoor Rules" threads in the future. He won the shoot off, the cartridge didn't win it. It was simply an " I can outshoot you" scenario. Not " My gun can outshoot yours".

Yuppers, it had more to do with the shooter then the rifle / optic / ammo if it was set up to shoot.

Can those 65 shoot,,, you bet they can,,, so can the 22's and the 408's...

Its pointless blaming fualts on any of today's cartridges / calibers with the factory ammo or reloading equipment of this days standard...

So heres my question,,, can I shoot my 30/06 at a full bore pace as equal to a 6mm or 65 at their max,,, absolutely I can... It has been a known fact that smaller caliber / cartridges stay on target with much more shooter comfort then big bores over the long hual...

Yes,,, our group of shooters have shot 200 rounders per day,,, that's alot of effort staying on target over a 8 to 10 hour stint... Its a walk in the park for the 223 dudes...

The other end of the scale is down range impact,,, the 223's dint the dust,,, the 30 cal's punch the clay,,, and the Lapuas and Chy Techs Berry the lead... Ha..

Pretty hard to not put trust in the big bores when hunting,,, the same can be said for the soft calibers at the shooting ranges across the Americas...The PRS folks like the 6-es because they work for paper and iron,,, and yes they can go hunting with them...

The door way of endless possibilities let's say.. The person behind the irons makes it happen... Wives and the younger benefit for the mid bores as it opens the way for good times,,, and us older not so wize shooters get to stay in the game..

I'm just past my half way point as I ain't given up you known.. 60 ish'es going on 7 with the brain of a 2 year old. Ha...

I like the idea of going to a 65,,, more so for range time. My Holly Oh 6 is ready to rock for hunting season...

Who knows,,, maybe this new unit will take its place,,, time will tell I guess.

Cheers from the North

I just cannot get excited as some people seem to be about the 6.5 creedmore. I have never been a real fan of the 243 either. I am speaking specifically about using these calibers at 4-500 plus yards. I think a heavier bullet and a bigger diameter is in order for long range shots on elk, moose, bear especially. Whitetail deer ok I guess but the wound channel may not be effective on marginal hit. Just my two cents. How do you other long range hunters feel about this?
I am fascinated with the lack of knowledge about this round and the lack of knowledge of what it takes to hunt Elk. The BS about shot placement may work shooting off of a bench but it does not happen in the wild. If this were true we could hunt with a 22 and shoot for the eye and a direct path to the brain. Then there is the BS that this round having sufficient energy out at 500 yards, please.... read a ballistics table. E=MC squared

Then there is the animal. This is NOT a deer. This animal is 500 lbs with thick skin and heavy bones. What happened to the idea of an ethical kill? Why would you want to wound this animal and chase it to the next county or let it suffer until it dies?

This round is NOT sufficient for Elk! Read something! You want something for your kids or wife, spend the money on a 270 WSM and put a brake on it. Shoots flat, has adequate power, will really reach the 500 yards with plenty power and is light weight. I consider this to be a minimum.

I have taken several Elk and prefer my 300 WBY and my 300 WinMag. They both work well. As a final comment, I have seen 30-06 fail at 300 yards with a good hit. It only crippled the animal and spent the afternoon tracking a wounded animal.

Again, read something. Gain knowledge and be successful.

No kidding Sherlock. Who is promoting the CM as a 500 plus yard elk killer???
You would be surprised how many folks are in most of the big box stores, and the lesser-educated/experienced gun salesmen at your LGS...

I used to sell guns in a small LGS, believe me, i've heard some conversations that almost made me want to walk up and slap folks upside the back of the head and say, "You can't really be that stupid.......Can you??? If so, I'd feel safer selling you a nerf gun, instead of a real one..."

We'll its not the old days anymore. Today's bullets are what have turned the non Magnums into the Magnums of the old days. Higher BCs. Better powders and better data for loading. All equal the 6.5 caliber guns to adequately kill elk. Nobody is promoting anything here in my comment. Just stating the 6.5 in almost any cartridge will kill an elk efficiently and quickly, and yes shot placement does matter. Anyone that thinks it doesn't needs to stick to prairie dogs and ground hogs. Many of elk have been killed fast and efficiently with 6-7mm rifles. Anybody that's elk hunted knows this. Guides see it on many hunts in Western States.

We'll its not the old days anymore. Today's bullets are what have turned the non Magnums into the Magnums of the old days. Higher BCs. Better powders and better data for loading. All equal the 6.5 caliber guns to adequately kill elk. Nobody is promoting anything here in my comment. Just stating the 6.5 in almost any cartridge will kill an elk efficiently and quickly, and yes shot placement does matter. Anyone that thinks it doesn't needs to stick to prairie dogs and ground hogs. Many of elk have been killed fast and efficiently with 6-7mm rifles. Anybody that's elk hunted knows this. Guides see it on many hunts in Western States.
Ummm, no, they haven't. That's incorrect information. A 6.5mm bullet traveling 2800 FPS is still a 6.5mm bullet traveling 2800 FPS (just using random numbers). Higher weight-class and better BC are helping drag numbers and distances, but they only help so much. Once a bullet leaves the muzzle, there is nothing else propelling it but kinetic energy...Then gravity, atmospheric drag, and wind start taking over...

If you use that sort of thinking, then that means it turned the non-mags into magnums, and the magnums into SUPER magnums, and I guess the Ultra mags get turned into Unicorn Magnums (???)... Because if one gets upgraded, those same principles are also applied to upgrading the higher class of cartridges, as well...

Ummm, no, they haven't. That's incorrect information. A 6.5mm bullet traveling 2800 FPS is still a 6.5mm bullet traveling 2800 FPS (just using random numbers). Higher weight-class and better BC are helping drag numbers and distances, but they only help so much. Once a bullet leaves the muzzle, there is nothing else propelling it but kinetic energy...Then gravity, atmospheric drag, and wind start taking over...

If you use that sort of thinking, then that means it turned the non-mags into magnums, and the magnums into SUPER magnums, and I guess the Ultra mags get turned into Unicorn Magnums (???)... Because if one gets upgraded, those same principles are also applied to upgrading the higher class of cartridges, as well...
That's exactly what I'm saying. Bullets all leave the muzzle at the same speeds regardless of the shape as long as it's weight is equal. It's at the extended ranges that they Excel. The higher BC hunting and target bullets perform considerably better than even a decade ago let alone 2-3. Plus take a look at 6500' elevation vs say 1000' elevation. It makes even more of a difference in a bullets ballistic performance. I'm not even speaking of the design improvements. A flat base 6.5 bullet from the old 1994/95 .260 introduction was about all that was around. Compare it to the 147 eld or 150 smk. Night and day. Also velocity and energy at the longest ranges is 30 % better easily. Those things do matter. The only helping so much can be 30% depending on location and cartridge. Fact.

.260 Rem was introduced in 1997...But I get what you're saying.

Bullet tech is night & day, and powder tech is way better, but still, that doesn't really change effective range to huge jumps over what it was before... It still kind of "is what it is" and the improvements will be small when the engine that's pushing the bullet is still the same size. If you upgraded everything and also jumped up 5+ grains in case capacity too (for a short action non-magnum), now you're talking huge jumps in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.