Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, only in drop, not drift, velocity, or KE, if you use equal weight-for-caliber bullets. Beyond 600, the 6.5 140 starts losing steam FAST.
Actually yes. Unless your neutering the creed with a 140 berger at 2700 fps then the 308 with a 215 berger or whatever bullet you use to make a claim will not be as good in wind, drop, or recoil.

Actually yes. Unless your neutering the creed with a 140 berger at 2700 fps then the 308 with a 215 berger or whatever bullet you use to make a claim will not be as good in wind, drop, or recoil.
Actually I usually measure the 6.5 CM with a 140 going 2850 (24" barrel). And the .308 with a 215 going 2600 (24" barrel). I try to compare as close to real world velocities as I can for the most fair and honest numbers. Y'all just don't like the outcome so you claim we're cooking the numbers.

Actually I usually measure the 6.5 CM with a 140 going 2850 (24" barrel). And the .308 with a 215 going 2600 (24" barrel). I try to compare as close to real world velocities as I can for the most fair and honest numbers. Y'all just don't like the outcome so you claim we're cooking the numbers.

Compare apples to apples. 215 berger at 2600 vs a 150 smk at 2800. Your comparing one of the highest in class 30 cals to literally one of the lowest in class 140 6.5mms. Not a fair comparison. It's not that I dislike an outcome. It's simply false and not a comparison. If your going to bring the 308 to it's full potential then do the same for the 6.5.

Compare apples to apples. 215 berger at 2600 vs a 150 smk at 2800. Your comparing one of the highest in class 30 cals to literally one of the lowest in class 140 6.5mms. Not a fair comparison. It's not that I dislike an outcome. It's simply false and not a comparison. If your going to bring the 308 to it's full potential then do the same for the 6.5.
No, until recently the 230 Hybrid and 140-147 grain bullets were the tops of their classes. Only VERY recently was the 150 SMK brought out, and the 156 Bergers. Until then the 140 was the top. If I had used a 120 or 123 or 130 for the 6.5CM then that would not be fair.

So, explain to me how comparing a 215 to a 140 at their average real world velocities is not fair?

No, until recently the 230 Hybrid and 140-147 grain bullets were the tops of their classes. Only VERY recently was the 150 SMK brought out, and the 156 Bergers. Until then the 140 was the top. If I had used a 120 or 123 or 130 for the 6.5CM then that would not be fair.

So, explain to me how comparing a 215 to a 140 at their average real world velocities is not fair?
Because your still using one of the lowest in class 6.5 140s available. We're literally splitting hairs here though when your talking about beating each other out. I ran the numbers with the 140 eld and it just barely beats out the 308 with the 215 atleast at 1000. You'd never notice the difference down range except the 308 would have a lot more recoil.

Run those numbers again with a 150 smk and a 308 with a 215 berger or a 230 if you wish. The 6.5 will win out slightly in wind, drop, and also in supersonic range. Again, the numbers still aren't that far apart. Not taking away from the 308 just stating facts. Just trying to figure out why you would want to shoot a 200+ bullet out of a 308 to just to try to do what the 6.5 does with less drop, more velocity, and less recoil with arguably better drift.

Bunch a wet hens in here... Who cares if you don't like the 6.5 CM? I bought one in REM PCR. It's by far and away the most accurate out of box gun I have. The 6.5 CM is unarguably has a high BC bullet, flat shooting with low recoil. What exactly is not to like, but if you don't, why do you think anyone cares???

Would I take it elk hunting and leave my 300 RUM in the safe? Ahhhh, no! If you want to shoot elk with it, hey go for it...

I really like the way you think and totally agree with what you have said here, unfortunately, "Common sense is a plant that does not grow in everyone's garden!":rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have a 260 Rem, 6.5x47, and a 6.5 Creedmoor all full higher end customs. I pay zero attention to what crowds use what. I got a Creedmoor to simply see where it fits into the hierarchy of 6.5s and I just love to reload and push cartridges to their limit. I prefer the 260 Rem over the others but the beauty of the creed is that about everywhere now carries some type of match 6.5 creed ammo if in a pinch on a hunting trip and what not. That is also what made the creed so popular I believe. Those that don't reload can go down to walmarts and get FGMM or similar very high quality ammo and lay down some very good groups. That is not the case with 260 Rem or 6.5x47. I love all guns!
I remember the days you could walk into any store and buy all the new short magnums everybody had to have. Today you cant even barely find some of the brass. And the price of the greedmoor is so reasonable for a average cartridge, they are smiling all the way to the bank.

You will be waiting a long long time for me. I never have and never will fall for these so called magical, so easy its boring, to everything cartridge. I have been loading for over 40 years, and you can take pretty much any cartridge and make it shoot great. It is not the magical cartridge. Its the gun, action, BARREL,reloading of the shell. lots of things the shooter. You cant tell me that every person that picks up a creedmorE can shoot 1/4" groups. But when you read the forums they all can B.S. If you all are so good pack up your ---- and go to some competitions and clean up. Have fun!
I agree 100% with you you got it seen these miracle calibers come and go only gun you will ever need from elk hunting to African safaris it's funny how this whole thing has been promoted and push wish I had stock in that company younger people are going to believe this stuff and be very disappointed

Because your still using one of the lowest in class 6.5 140s available. We're literally splitting hairs here though when your talking about beating each other out. I ran the numbers with the 140 eld and it just barely beats out the 308 with the 215 atleast at 1000. You'd never notice the difference down range except the 308 would have a lot more recoil.

Run those numbers again with a 150 smk and a 308 with a 215 berger or a 230 if you wish. The 6.5 will win out slightly in wind, drop, and also in supersonic range. Again, the numbers still aren't that far apart. Not taking away from the 308 just stating facts. Just trying to figure out why you would want to shoot a 200+ bullet out of a 308 to just to try to do what the 6.5 does with less drop, more velocity, and less recoil with arguably better drift.
And a LOT more retained energy. Also, the 6.5 starts losing velocity faster after 650-700 yards, because the projectile itself is lighter, despite the faster velocity. The faster velocity only creates more drag, and the lighter bullet cannot maintain due to less retained kinetic energy fighting the atmosphere's resistance.

I remember the days you could walk into any store and buy all the new short magnums everybody had to have. Today you cant even barely find some of the brass. And the price of the greedmoor is so reasonable for a average cartridge, they are smiling all the way to the bank.
I have a 270, 7mm, 300, and two 6.5 wsm rifles. Love them a lot. Just built my second 6.5 wsm last week. Alive and kicking. Cabelas frequently has Winchester brass and I can find Norma brass in a few places. I'm completely ate up though... I never buy factory ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.