Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the ballistics alone, the 6.5PRC and a few others outdo the CR, if you must have a 6.5.

About to find out!!
A0E6E371-3339-4F3A-A3BE-93FB98F71F0B.jpeg

Not sure if you're going to like that .260 Rem build either... I'd better save you from that one while we're trying to help you out. Wouldn't want you to have to feel the pain of regret... Just looking out for you. :D

I just cannot get excited as some people seem to be about the 6.5 creedmore. I have never been a real fan of the 243 either. I am speaking specifically about using these calibers at 4-500 plus yards. I think a heavier bullet and a bigger diameter is in order for long range shots on elk, moose, bear especially. Whitetail deer ok I guess but the wound channel may not be effective on marginal hit. Just my two cents. How do you other long range hunters feel about this?
I'm not here to bash the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have always been a 6.5 fan but I have to agree 100% with you. I have read to many questions with people wanting long range info about the 6.5 Creedmoor for shooting elk at long range. Granted, it for **** sure can and will do the job but there is just so many other and better options. Elk are big and can be a tenacious animal to kill. If you have a bull of a lifetime standing in front of you at 500 yds, wouldn't you way rather have a caliber with more knock down and punch suited for the job. Better for you and the elk both. Might save chasing him over two mtn ridges to finish him or completely loose him. As I said we all know it can do the job. Probably been as many elk killed with a 30-30 as any caliber out there, but that's to do with what people had years ago and they made the best of it and it wasn't a long range fad. Deer and antelope size game, go for it. Not much better than the 6.5. Just my 2 cents.

I wonder how many people whining about the Creedmore actually have one, I wasn't interested being naturally repulsed by things everyone else likes but I bought my daughter one because it made the most sense for her. I've been loading it and working with it and holy crap, the thing is just an excellent round, I can't make the thing shoot bad even with the cheap factory stuff at every store around. It's landed right spot on a sweet spot that is just so easy it almost takes the fun out of it!
This year I know of some high number elk guys with serious elk rigs and they shot one elk with a big 30 cal this year all the rest were with a 6.5 Creedmore, it's the most popular gun in elk camp for a couple years running for a reason, it's easy to drive and has a spectacular bullet selection to run out of it, IMO if you can't cleanly take an elk with one you shouldn't be trying with anything larger!

Yup... my son has a creed too. I had zero load development for it. Copied the Hornady factory load with 4350 and the 143 eld-x and she's a 1/2 to 2/3 moa pipe.
As to the little round shooting elk and such, it's not like the Europeans haven't been shooting moose for the last century or so with the 6.5 Swedish mauser. Heck, the 7x57 doesn't really do any more and it's got a ton of elephant under it's belt.

I had no interest in a 6.5 as I'm rather invested in 7mm's. My brother gifted the rifle to my kid and I've only paid to feed it (a better scope and a brake too). It isn't going anywhere though as we don't get rid of shooters...

I don't take meds, and I also don't take bullcrap off of anyone either, especially when they decide to drag me into a conversation with false facts. The 6.5CM has been around since 2007. I'm well aware of that fact. It didn't get super popular until about 2010. You would think most would have figured out the truth by now, but some still believe the BS wholeheartedly. If their prerogative is to live life with their heads in the sand thinking the sky is falling, then by all means, go for it. I choose to look up and see that that it's not, for myself. Rebels will always be treated with confrontation as we tend to ruffle the feathers of the string-pullers...And that makes them mad.

I'm cool, no anger here, just get frustrated when folks say that I said this or that, and it's not true.

Once again, never said it was a bad cartridge, just said I didn't like the cult-like BS and the fake magical properties it seems to have developed. The same goes for any cartridge out there. I'm even on record here calling out a 7mm STW guy claiming he was getting ridiculous speeds out of his rifle that are simply not possible without blowing up the gun.

I specifically referred to people who think it really is a do all cartridge......... Obviously it's not. There are no fake magical properties. And no knowledgeable people are claiming it's the best thing since sliced bread. Hornady marketed it to have similar drop and windage to a 300wm. Not that it is close in energy. Anyone should be able to figure that out...... that's the point. Don't get your panties in a wad because hornady knows how to market something. It's called business. Yup it's no better than a 6.5L or 260 rem. Big whoop. It's widely available now so more people are using. And for good reasons

The weekly Creed bash......blah blah blah!
Here's the deal. Their is not a do it all, perfect cartridge/caliber. Not the Creedmoor, not the 300 Win, not the 308, or any other.
No one in their right mind is going to take a STW or 300 Win to the dog town. And no one is going to take a 223 on a grizzly hunt.
This is why we are lucky to have so many great options. Including the Creedmoor.
With all the people on the Creedmoor bandwagon, can they all be wrong?

Why not on the 300win to the dog town??? We have... You can get the ones just peeking out that way; simply aim mid belly and blow through the mound and blow 'em out (it might take a bit more substantial pill than a Berger for that). The biggest things I've killed prairie rats with are a 375h@h and a 12 gauge shotgun. Both worked splendidly but aren't for an all day excursion; simply for special occasions like one playing peekaboo or running... The shotty does a good job on those runners.
Hick ramblings over, my favorite gun for a dog town is a Savage pistol in 22-250. More maneuverable than a rifle and just as accurate to 1/4 mile or so.

300 win mag 22 sabots @5100fps. I've read you can crank it up over that if you hollow out .30 cal bullets as a savor instead of plastic sabots.
83117321-D506-44E9-91BC-57127E1EFFAD.jpeg

It's like a varmint laser pointer

Status
Not open for further replies.