Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
270 win....

I have yet to hold a 3006 and think, wow I wish this was a little less awesome.

OK Wild
You got me, I was referring to the 7MM Rem Mag and you bring in the 7mmSTW which is as you describe "a laser". Per the general discussion I thought we were having, with the 7mm Rem Mag zeroed in the article I referred to, 350 drop is 7 inches which starts to put a bullet to low in a deers ribs to be effective and likely miss a Coues Whitetail. At 400 yds this 7mm Rem Mag is now 13 inches low requiring the skilled eye that you possess to make the proper range call and determine how much to hold over hair. That you have cultivated such range estimation skill just with eyeballing puts you way ahead of the average hunter. So your 7 Rem Mag hunter would be required to eyeball and know if 300 yards because its at the limit of point blank range, eyeball 350 yards because a hold at the top of back required etc. Now a 30-06 hunter with a Sierra 180 BTGK going 2800 fps (quite possible) has the same 3 inches high 3 inches low point blank range of 280 yards. So both hunters need a good 300 yard call, the Magnum shooter to know that he is at the max point blank range and the 06 hunter to know he is a little over point blank range and has about 1.5 inches more drop than the Magnum. So the 06 or 7 RemMag hunter both need to have the skill to call 300, 350 or 400 yards and know their hold overs. So with point blank range as described the old 06 has the same hold over at 370 yards as the 7 RemMag has at 400 yards. Given these parameters the Magnum gains 30 yards over the 06. I say this because when you get to these distances and drops it gets more complicated. Range calls need to be more exact and how much to hold a plain cross hairs over the back gets more challenging.
Respectfully
NE
Oh good lord man. The MPBR with the 06 is significanly shorter than that of the 7mm. Another thousand words on the subject isn't going to change it.

At the same 300-400 yds range we're talking about the RM is a much flatter shooting cartridge just as it was designed to be and just as it proved out to the shooting public which is why it took off so quickly when introduced and why it remains so popular today.

Oh good lord man. The MPBR with the 06 is significanly shorter than that of the 7mm. Another thousand words on the subject isn't going to change it.

At the same 300-400 yds range we're talking about the RM is a much flatter shooting cartridge just as it was designed to be and just as it proved out to the shooting public which is why it took off so quickly when introduced and why it remains so popular today.
I just re ran and checked my numbers using the bullets and velocity stated and 06 point blank range is 280 yards the 7Rem Mag point blank range 300 yards. Sorry numbers don't lie and JBM Ballistics not fly by night. With this set up 06 drop is 3 inches more at 350 yards and at 400 yards the 06 has dropped 18 inches vs 7Mag 13 inches. Now at 400 yards the fast flat shooting Magnum has to account for 13 inches of drop and the old slow 06 has to account for 18 inches of drop. At 400 yards both shooters need an accurate range and both shooters have to make a foot or a foot and a half adjustment. So I am happy to discuss numbers and drops. But another 1000 words won't change MV, ballistic coefficients and what your drop card looks like with a 3 inch high ZPBR sight in.

I just re ran and checked my numbers using the bullets and velocity stated and 06 point blank range is 280 yards the 7Rem Mag point blank range 300 yards. Sorry numbers don't lie and JBM Ballistics not fly by night. With this set up 06 drop is 3 inches more at 350 yards and at 400 yards the 06 has dropped 18 inches vs 7Mag 13 inches. Now at 400 yards the fast flat shooting Magnum has to account for 13 inches of drop and the old slow 06 has to account for 18 inches of drop. At 400 yards both shooters need an accurate range and both shooters have to make a foot or a foot and a half adjustment. So I am happy to discuss numbers and drops. But another 1000 words won't change MV, ballistic coefficients and what your drop card looks like with a 3 inch high ZPBR sight in.
Numbers do lie, when you use high-BC modern bullets and velocity numbers for 1 cartridge, but using old velocity and bullet numbers for the other. It's called sandbagging. You see it a lot in modern marketing campaigns... (Cough cough, Hornady, cough cough...) :cool: I know that is what's happening because I have been shooting the 7mmRM for almost 20 years, and have a 26" .30-06 AI, that still won't even begin to touch the 7mmRM's velocities.

Don't worry, Nosler is guilty of it, too, in their newest manuals, pushing really good numbers for their propriety Nosler line of cartridges, but sandbagging velocities for other similar cartridges, and slightly lesser cartridges to make their's look superior.

Last edited:
Numbers do lie, when you use high-BC modern bullets and velocity numbers for 1 cartridge, but using old velocity and bullet numbers for the other. It's called sandbagging. You see it a lot in modern marketing campaigns... (Cough cough, Hornady, cough cough...) :cool: I know that is what's happening because I have been shooting the 7mmRM for almost 20 years, and have a 26" .30-06 AI, that still won't even begin to touch the 7mmRM's velocities.

Don't worry, Nosler is guilty of it, too, in their newest manuals, pushing really good numbers for their propriety Nosler line of cartridges, but sandbagging velocities for other similar cartridges, and slightly lesser cartridges to make their's look superior.
Nosler bullets BC and their Manuals always show preference. I have a hard time using their bullets anymore

Hi Runner
If you go back and read the thread I used an 06 shooting a Sierra 180 BTGK not exactly cutting edge like say a ELD-X and a Scirocco 7mm 150 which is not a BC dog. So if you read what I wrote and what numbers I used I would appreciate your corrections. That way I can be properly informed and not go around "sandbagging". post # 533 & post # 543 should get you up to speed. BTW I said nothing about velocities being alike.

Performance numbers involve BC and velocity... That's how performance is measured. So, how do you define and compare "performance", in a static way that is more than just opinion?

Billy Bob might sit there straight-faced and tell you that his .308 Win put a hole in a deer at 300 yards like a MK19 shot it... But that might be his OPINION on the cartridge's performance. Realistically, people need static numbers they can actually compare to prove/disprove theories.

Performance numbers involve BC and velocity... That's how performance is measured. So, how do you define and compare "performance", in a static way that is more than just opinion?

Billy Bob might sit there straight-faced and tell you that his .308 Win put a hole in a deer at 300 yards like a MK19 shot it... But that might be his OPINION on the cartridge's performance. Realistically, people need static numbers they can actually compare to prove/disprove theories.
You did not go back and read my earlier posts. If you want to discuss the topic then #513, #533 and #543 are my posts earlier in this thread. I put out an idea backed by numbers and what I get back is opinion. I am happy to discuss my point backed by numbers. Happy to hear where you disagree with my numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.