Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the bolded, sorry but that simply could not be more inaccurate. The higher the velocity, flatter shooting the round, the less you need accurate range estimations because the MPBR is much longer, the arc by definition much flatter, and thus for the novice shooter requires far less expertise and less advanced or specialized equipment to make those killing shots out to 400yds because holdovers a significantly reduced vs the slower traditional rounds like the 06.

As for energy, the equation is MV^2= Energy. Velocity is the far more important factor in the energy equation since it is squared.

At those ranges BC also means very little.
Hi Wild
I just did a search and came up with an article on 7MAG point blank range. The author used a 150 Scirocco at 3117fps his window was a 6 inch kill zone, so 3 inches high at around 150 yds and 3 inches low at 300 yds. I will stand by my post that shooting this set up would require a decent hunter be able to distinguish 300, 350 or 400 yards by eye ball. At 400 yards it looks like your going to miss with this set up, at 350 you are looking to be low in the ribs if you connect with hair at all and at 300 you are at max point blank and would be better if you could call 300 yards and line the cross hairs a little higher in the ribs to get a good center punch. So yep I think even with the 7MAG your Mark 1 eye ball could do well to be calibrated for accurate distance estimation.

Last edited:
I built a 6CM for PRS and it's a laser for that intended purpose. Broke it out last year to try on deer and harvested 2 doe. Using
103gr ELD-X. It was brutal on deer inside 250 yds. Since picked up a 6.5CM bull barrel Savage 10 as partial trade on another gun. Both shoot lights out but I'd run my STW or 300wm for big bodies.

Of course you're not emotional, that's why you want to make it personal, your feelings obviously aren't hurt.

I've never started a thread on the CM at all, and never bashed it. I simply speak the truth about it.

The CM isn't doing anything that wasn't already being done just as well or better by existing 6.5's, that's simply a fact.

Ruger and Hornady put together a brilliant plan for bringing it to market, marketing, and supporting it which is why it has gained such a following.

Each of those statements is completely supported by all the known facts.

But of course, rant on.
First, thank you for being concerned about my "feelings". :rolleyes: This is the internet, if you are taking this personally your doing it wrong. This is the most impersonal form of communication there is.
Never said that you started this, or any other cm thread. But you obviously don't like it and won't give it it's due.

What other 6.5 short action standard bolt face cartridge is doing all the Creed does? Too me it hits a good balance. It fits in a standard short action better than the 260. I have one and the bullet is way deep in the case. It will outperform the x47L. Not taking anything away from it because it seems to be a great design as well. I love my Swede but it hasn't done anything over what I think t the Creed is capable of and it is a long action. Lastly the Creed has more ammo and brass support than all other 6.5mm cartridges. Period. What's not to like? As I've said before it is not even on the same planet as cartridges such as 264wm, 6.5x284, 26 Nosler and many others. It does what it was designed to do and does it well.

I agree 100% on what you have said about Hornady and Rugers marketing of it. They have a brilliant team.

Hi Wild
I just did a search and came up with an article on 7MAG point blank range. The author used a 150 Scirocco at 3117fps his window was +6 -6 inches, bit generous in my book but that was his call. I will stand by my post that shooting this set up would require a decent hunter be able to distinguish 300 350 or 400 yards by eye ball. At 400 yards it looks like your going to miss with this set up, at 350 you are looking to be low in the ribs if you connect with hair at all and at 300 you are at max point blank and would be better if you could call 300 yards and line the cross hairs under or at the spine to get a good center punch. So yep I think even with the 7MAG your Mark 1 eye ball could do well to be calibrated for accurate distance estimation.
If you're shooting deer that you're going to miss with the 6" at 400yds they must be roe deer.

Sight it in at 300, aim a bit high at 400, a bit low out to 150. I only shot one from 74-92 when I switched over to the 7mm STW so I have a fair bit of experience with it.

Never owned a rangefinder until 2002 and killed truck loads, literally, of deer, hogs, antelope, coyotes, bobcats, and even prairie dogs with it.

Compared to the 06 it's a laser.

I have two trucks and two 6.5 Creedmoors. I put the rifles in the back of the truck and drive to where I am going to shoot. I don't have a rangefinder so I use the odometer on my trucks to see how far things are. There are not any hogs or antelope where I live but I shoot anyway. I like my trucks...don't drive them at the same though...and I like my 6.5 CM's. Working on how to shoot them at the same time. You know the "double your pleasure double your fun" sorta thing.

Is it wrong to have two 6.5CM's?

Last edited:
I hear ya. One on my old Ford Ranger is broke so I just sorta guesstimate the range. My Chevy works good though....hope you don't hate Chevy's...don't think I could handle a "I hate Chevy's with 6.5 Creedmoor's on board." thread....that could go for like months.

If you're shooting deer that you're going to miss with the 6" at 400yds they must be roe deer.

Sight it in at 300, aim a bit high at 400, a bit low out to 150. I only shot one from 74-92 when I switched over to the 7mm STW so I have a fair bit of experience with it.

Never owned a rangefinder until 2002 and killed truck loads, literally, of deer, hogs, antelope, coyotes, bobcats, and even prairie dogs with it.

Compared to the 06 it's a laser.
OK Wild
You got me, I was referring to the 7MM Rem Mag and you bring in the 7mmSTW which is as you describe "a laser". Per the general discussion I thought we were having, with the 7mm Rem Mag zeroed in the article I referred to, 350 drop is 7 inches which starts to put a bullet to low in a deers ribs to be effective and likely miss a Coues Whitetail. At 400 yds this 7mm Rem Mag is now 13 inches low requiring the skilled eye that you possess to make the proper range call and determine how much to hold over hair. That you have cultivated such range estimation skill just with eyeballing puts you way ahead of the average hunter. So your 7 Rem Mag hunter would be required to eyeball and know if 300 yards because its at the limit of point blank range, eyeball 350 yards because a hold at the top of back required etc. Now a 30-06 hunter with a Sierra 180 BTGK going 2800 fps (quite possible) with the same 3 inches high 3 inches low point blank set up has its point blank range of 280 yards. So both hunters need a good 300 yard call, the Magnum shooter to know that he is at the max point blank range and the 06 hunter to know he is a little over point blank range and has about 1.5 inches more drop than the Magnum. So the 06 or 7 RemMag hunter both need to have the skill to call 300, 350 or 400 yards and know their hold overs. So with point blank range as described the old 06 has the same hold over at 370 yards as the 7 RemMag has at 400 yards. Given these parameters the Magnum gains 30 yards over the 06. I say this because when you get to these distances and drops it gets more complicated. Range calls need to be more exact and how much to hold a plain cross hairs over the back gets more challenging.
Respectfully
NE

Last edited:
This should ruffle a few feathers ,. I don't do Harley's or 6.5 Creed's ... I'm not one who likes to follow the crowd.
ede6dbedeb01468277a4a36fed4cfdff440986f7453cc231194b3f4c87e7b6b4.jpg

I Ride a Victory Gunner and shoot a 270 Winchester.
MAG483_BLK_1.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.