OHAUS scales

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by newmexkid, Feb 7, 2014.

1. newmexkid

newmexkid Well-Known Member

Been looking at the Ohaus beam scales for a new unit. Any love for them?

2. cowboy

cowboy Well-Known Member

Bought an Ohaus triple beam scale in 1972 and still using it. Tried the electronic system but just wasn't my cup of tea. When a son of mine set up his reloading system it took me a year to find an Ohaus beam scale - ebay, used and paid 3 times what my new one cost in '72. I would hate to guess how much powder that scale has weighed. I have a set of certified weights and it is nuts on to this day.

Is Ohaus currently making/selling beam scales again?

3. valleyloader

valleyloader Well-Known Member

I started using an Ohaus beam scale when I started reloading when I was 12 years old. I still have it sitting on my bench to this day and I use it primarily to check my digital scales, as well as setting up my powder measure for pistol or 223. I have no complaints for the scale it has always worked perfectly and read the same as 3 other scales that I have acquired over 16 years of reloading. The Ohaus was given to me by a seasoned reloader at the time and the price tag on the box was $25. However the box looked like he had owned the scale awhile, I have no idea how old the scale is.

4. varmintH8R

varmintH8R Well-Known Member

Picture of the sticker on my RCBS 5-0-5, which has served me well...

Attached Files:

5. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

Yep, different paint, same scale....

I've used both.. killed all of my critters with ammo made using one or the other.

6. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

I have a old Rcbs 304 made by Ohaus, used to be refered to as the dial o grain

7. cowboy

cowboy Well-Known Member

Do you have any desire to sell it?

8. newmexkid

newmexkid Well-Known Member

"old will knott" carries a bunch of them. Looks like they are new. Doesn't say used or new.

9. cowboy

cowboy Well-Known Member

Thanks - I looked through their Ohaus beam scales pretty quickly.

Just be careful in that all the models I looked at measured in "grams" and not "grains".
    Big difference in that 1 gram = something like 15.4 grains

Ohaus used to make their scales in both readings - in fact I think they used to make one for RCBS years ago, believe they called it a Dial-O-Grain along with the triple beam scale model.

The reloading world - powder and bullets - uses grains and I would think it would be pretty cumbersome to always be doing conversions from one system to another and my confidence factor wouldn't be very high.

10. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

Thinking to pass to son when he gets settled somewhere.

11. varmintH8R

I am pretty sure Ohaus still makes several of the RCBS scales. If you look at the bottom of the picture I posted earlier from my 5-0-5, it states it is manufactured by Ohaus.

12. cowboy

cowboy Well-Known Member

Understand - trying to find another one for same reason. Hope your son appreciates it as they are as good/reliable as has been made.

13. cowboy

cowboy Well-Known Member

Yes - Ohaus still makes the smaller statured beam scales like the 5-0-5 and 10-10. The one I was referring to is about a foot tall and a foot long.

14. varmintH8R

Holy cow. I looked it up and you're not kidding. Any advantage in that type of set-up?

Attached Files: