Ohaus 505 scale

thatguyshm

So I was surfing eBay last week and I happened to come across a Ohaus 505 vintage scale. It did not come with any instructions, and I was just wondering if there are any tricks I should know about and learn while using this scale. I have a digital for back up, but I guess I have a weak spot for nostalgia. I love getting vintage equipment, manuals, collecting any such thing and using it in my day to day loading.

I know from youtube and a few resources via searches here and on google that it must be leveled, as I have done. It can be a bit clanky while trying to fine tune and trickle to weigh. I'm just playing around with my Dillon 550B, getting a new toolhead set up for 6.8spc with H322 powder.

Should I try to find a similar weight, smaller powder pan rather than the original large pan? Or should I just put it on the shelf, displayed and use something with a bit more narrow of a weight range? By the way, I snagged it for only 38 bucks, so no matter what I'm fine with that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-shm

Attachments

• Ohaus.JPG
    Ohaus.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 344
  • Ohaus1.JPG
    Ohaus1.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 166
Good snag, it looks like new. I would use it with it's original pan and avoid the hassle of finding a replacement that's exact weight to avoid discrepancies. If all is cool with its accuracy, have fun reloading with it and displaying it. a blast from the past!:cool:

Nice score!

That scale doesn't need batteries, works when it's cold or hot, lasts forever. Don't change the pan as it is balanced to level the beam. As long as the knife hinges and agate bearings are clean the scale will be accurate.

KB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.