Oh my surely not

Animals haven't gotten any harder to kill than they were 200 years ago. A bow and arrow did the job for our ancient ancestors...but they lived in the wilderness and studied their game before hunting. Now we trade dollars for time and inexperience, so a 30/06 in the hands of someone who can hit 4" at 100 yards will do what the ancients did with an arrow at 20 yards. Sort of. But look at the fun we have with comparing BCs and EDs and SDs and all those other initials. So enjoy whatever you shoot but keep shooting 'cause that's where the enjoyment is.

The more of this thread I read the more I chuckle! Have two Henry's: 45/70 and 41 mag. Good fun both of them! I did, however, down my buck and cow (elk, not the neighbor's milk cow) with my 7 STW. The other two were deeper in the safe at the time.

Are you willing to adopt another son...me?
I am sorry Kanoeking, but I am magnumed out with grandkids at this time. I even have three great-grandkids and two of them are girls. They are still getting belted magnum rifles if I have anything to say about it. I will probably buy first and ask for forgiveness later!

And that's why caliber debates are pointless. Perfection was achieved in 1906 and everything after is just noise. The 30-06 has been, is, and always will be the King.

View attachment 239749
M1 Garand...meat on the table and protect the homestead. Nothing else needed. Toughens up your thumbs too.

Edit: forgot the 30-30 lever action for close in varmints.

The more of this thread I read the more I chuckle! Have two Henry's: 45/70 and 41 mag. Good fun both of them! I did, however, down my buck and cow (elk, not the neighbor's milk cow) with my 7 STW. The other two were deeper in the safe at the time.
I really hate it when I can't get to one of my favorite rifles because it is so far back in the safe behind so many of my other rifles. That is a terrible problem to have to suffer through.

Have all the "0lder" calibers but now mostly I grab the 280AI when I go out the door. Thinkin of selling some guns that are being neglected and should have a home where they are appreciated.

Had I not bought my CZ 550 in 6.5x55 I may have bought a Creed. The Swede on a modern action is a great cartridge and is right there with the 260, Creed, and 6x47.
with the 20.5" barrel on my rifle I get approximately the velocity as my friends creed shooting the eldx. His rifle is a little more accurate though. His barrel is fully floated while mine sits in a Manlicher style stock. I can shoot slightly under an inch while he can consistently shoot half in groups.
I have no ill towards the caliber. It's the people who believe it's the end all be all caliber that make me scratch my head. Same for those who believe you need to have something with Magnum behind its name in order to shoot an animal that weighs 150-300 pounds.
The 6.5 creed is no better than any other 6.5 as for as velocity the 6.5 swede 260 rem 6.5 rem mag 264 win mag 6.5 prc etc but they got it right with the1-8 twist with a high bc bullet with factory hornady 143 gr and the147 gr bullet it doesn't drift as much in a cross wind if you know your drop dial up its a very accurate round because of the projectile I dont own one but I have 2 - 6.5 prc 4 6.5 swedes and killed my first deer the day president Kennedy was assassinated I have every cal in between always been a 6.5 advocate if i was going elk hunting might take something bigger its a matter of preferance

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.