Berger 300 Hybrid - 3rd Shot -OH! MY!! GOSH!!!

royinidaho

Had to rebuild the "fixture" prior to the 3rd shot.

The latest revision resulted in a fixture with much more flexibility.

New features:

• Plastic front end replaced with rubber belting to simulate a thick skin (Hereford bull :rolleyes:
  • Rubber belting front would take many hits without leaking media.
  • No weight added to the top to maintain density.
  • Front made removable for shooting through skin only or replaced with plastic for shooting through bone.
The idea was to introduce less rigidity allowing impact to be absorbed with out further damaging the fixture. That piece of irrigation pipe was hard to come by.

The Bull Hide Front
FlexibleFront.jpg

Front End
FrontView.jpg

Side View Showing Bungies
SideView.jpg

Next post - The results.

**** Roy you oughta sell them babies...it's a work of art:D. Only kidding. If it gets the job done that's good enough.

Hot Dang!! That looks like it should work. I can imagine that pipe is hard to come by. You should see what they want for it down at the local plumbing store. Can't wait to see what happens when you shoot it.:D

I walked to the backstop to check my success with the recent up grade.

Again @ 300 yds and no bone as I felt it unfair to shoot through bone and the rubber belting. Seems it should be the other way around.

Here's What I Found!!!
Pic4.jpg

Holy Crap - Check This
Pic2.jpg

Note the piece in front of the cover is over by the blue barrel!!
Pic3.jpg

Wound Channel Profile.
PIc5.jpg

What am I supposed to do with this?
Pic6.jpg

Bullet pics and info coming next.

That is something else... Is that pipe known to be particularly brittle? ...but at 200psi rating... and with a built in pressure relief 'valve' on top. Hard to believe, but there it is. Wow.

Bullet penetration was 23.5" and straight inline with the bullet's flight path.

I found the jacket in the center of the media at the "I" on psi.

Bullet1.jpg

Bullet2.jpg

Bullet4.jpg

Bullet3.jpg

Bullet1A.jpg

That's the end of 300 yd stuff. Nothing will stand up to the violent behavior of this bullet.

Yep, that sure was a purdy fixture. I guess purdy doesn't cut it!:)

I think that Eric and the folks at Berger have a bullet that fits the Berger performance characteristics nearly perfectly. To do this with a new bullet design would seem one of the company's great accomplishments.

I think it may well be a decent idea to head to Jeff's with the (new) fixture and media and move the test waaaay out there. I'm having a rough time finding the distance. Plus, it sure looks like Jeff can hit it.

PS: The third pic from the top. Those aren't rifling engravings showing on the boat tail. Must be a shadow or something. The base and boat tail portion of the jacket are perfect.

Oh BTW all three of these cold bore shots have centered on the 300 yd zero POA in a group that is scary small.

Last edited:
Way to sacrifice your rig to the power of the Berger!! I have a feeling no elk will deny that bullet, it may breath some more life into the slower end of the 338 chamberings, I may have to see if the local barrel guys have any 338 stuff laying around when I pick up my 270 barrel lightbulb 300 grain elk bombs by Berger :D

Roy, do you think it's just the Berger design that's causing those results (looks like a bomb went off) or is it possible a similar weight/design bullet would yield the same bomb affect?

Bullet penetration was 23.5" and straight inline with the bullet's flight path.

I think it may well be a decent idea to head to Jeff's with the (new) fixture and media and move the test waaaay out there. I'm having a rough time finding the distance.

Oh BTW all three of these cold bore shots have centered on the 300 yd zero POA in a group that is scary small.

Wow! 23 inches! I tried to dig one up from my 1500 yard group. I quit at 12 to 15" thinking it must have bounced up. I bet is was deeper as it was a sandy clay soil.

" Scary Small " :D Good discription! That is exactly how I felt after some of my first groups with them. Scared that they were flukes and woul not repeat. But they have kept it up. I am shooting better, I shoot Bergers!

Roy, you are welcome to come by any time. I do have a place or two to shoot, at least to a mile or two anyway. I have been looking for something to test with at 1000yds my self. I mentioned the possibility of a freezer burned bone in ham wrapped with a water soaked deer hide. But when I stuck my head in the freezer to dig, I was run off with a broom..:rolleyes:

Good job! Your efforts are appreciated.

Jeff

Last edited:
Roy, do you think it's just the Berger design that's causing those results (looks like a bomb went off) or is it possible a similar weight/design bullet would yield the same bomb affect?

Where am I going to get a "similar weight/design" bullet. I think the 338 Hybrid is in its own class. Comparing with an SMK would be a bit like testing a apple against an orange.

Disclaimer: this paragraph contains my own opinion(s).
Both the 300 SMK and 300 Hybrid have the same beginnings. Both were designed as a "match" bullet. The effectiveness of the SMK for hunting was serendipitous. The Hybrid was designed to achieve a very high bc (success) accurate (success) and maintain the "Berger" terminal performance (success). The Berger 300 Hybrid will find its niche very quickly.

Regarding the "bomb affect" I think the shear mass of a 338 - 300 gr bullet is a rung or two above sub-caliber offerings (.308 and below). When I loaded down a 300 SMK to achieve 1k velocity at the muzzle and tested it on my wooden fixture creation the first experiment blew the fixture apart resulting a major redesign while it handled the 270 170gr quite well.

Using a MV of 2700 FPS calculate the foot-pounds @ 300 yds and dissipate that energy in 21 inches w/o hitting bone and 15.5 inches penetrating bone first. The empirical experience says somethings gotta give.:)

As much as I like to blow thing up this deal isn't enjoyable.

I'll redesign (have some great ideas:rolleyes:) and do another 300 yd test with both Hybrids and SMKs. Hopefully this will result in a bullet test instead of a bullet performance AND fixture test.:)

I'd like to see the high speed video of the Hybrid shot into that jello stuff with jello stuff fully contained instead of free standing. Either way I bet it better be done outdoors.:D As in Antlers on the ceiling! Who goosed the Moose.

Last edited:
This reminds me of last fall watching through my scope as a 180 gr bullet from a 300 WBY found its home, sent from 360 yards, right behind the shoulder of bull elk. I can still in my mind see the shock waves of rumpled hide move out from the POI. I gave the shooter a thumbs up, but he was worried as the elk moved forward in the slow death walk. 25 yards later he crumpled and never even kicked. I think trying to contain this type of shock could prove to be tough. Might I suggest posibly an truck ot tractor innertube filled with your media?

Jeff

Wow Roy! You're a pipe killing son of a gun!! That is impressive if not down right scary. I can't believe how it detonated that pipe. Very nice. I think you found your new elk round. Question is. Will there be any elk left when you go to retrieve it?

Thanks for responding Roy, correct me if I'm reading too much into what you said but, it sounds like the bomb affect wouldn't be limited to just the Berger but there might be similar bomb affects with 300 gr smk?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.