Not to happy

Thank you- much appreciated reply! I get all that you have outlined as far as equipment cost, etc., which is why I said "honest question." But OP is supplying the barrel. I say "more fair" simply as an expression (perhaps incorrectly) because my smith for the last 15 years or so has always been below what I think he could be charging, and I've told him so. He enjoys the work and doesn't advertise, and only deals with people he already has done work for in the past, so I suppose he doesn't mind being below the cost of other places.

That said, 550-600 is hard for me to swallow for a chamber/thread of a barrel that the OP supplied. I suppose if you're so busy you have a 12 month waiting list, you can charge whatever and people will likely pay it, but it seems steep. I'm very glad to have my smith- his rifles have produced groups for me in the .1xx range, and I'm not even a good shot, haha! And, he is generous with his time and teaching me how to do chambering/threading/action truing, so that I can tinker on my own for fun with the lathe he just helped me track down and buy.
I get that he supplied the barrels, the issue is when you compare two businesses like they are in the same market.
Let's look at Bugholes, one of the largest barrel suppliers out there, they do volume work and are full service in business and evolving in the market.
I want a 300PRC on a Brux Sendero ready for a suppressor on my action I send them. Barrel $400, chamber will be $405 and muzzle threads $100 so all up $905 plus 50 shipping and I'm $955 all in no flutes, no cerakote just a barreled action. That's real world pricing that should produce some longevity.
You can find cheeper and you can find more expensive, some of that will be their value in their process or overhead, you compare a place with a 20+k rental space to one bought and paid for 20 years ago you'll see a difference, or one with an owner operator and one with 5+ employees does not mean someone is making stripper money!!

Sent 2 barrels and 2 actions off to a shop and I got a invoice at 600 for each chambering and muzzle threaded $1250.00 shipped for 2 barrels chambered and shipping. I may ask them to just mail it all back. What do y'all think?
No idea - but if you don't like their price- send them back.

Sent 2 barrels and 2 actions off to a shop and I got a invoice at 600 for each chambering and muzzle threaded $1250.00 shipped for 2 barrels chambered and shipping. I may ask them to just mail it all back. What do y'all think?
I don't know why you're even thinking about it. Get your stuff back and send it to someone else. The only reason we are experiencing the kind of inflation we are , is because people are paying the prices.
Just get someone else to do it. There are obviously good options for less money. This applies to everything . If it stops selling, the price goes down.

I've paid about that with my preferred smith, and that includes truing up the action, freezing the barrel, and bead blasting the SS barrel. His work is always guaranteed and with 4 of his builds in the safe, I'm pretty happy with all of them. One is ready to have another barrel installed as it now has almost 5000 rounds thru the shillen #3 and groups are getting to be 1 moa.

Insurance is a high cost, and a shop with a reputation for high quality has to pay for it.

It is extremely expensive and last count there were less than a handful that will carry insurance for a manufacturer.

If something goes wrong and that shop is not properly insured...... YIKES!!

If the shop you are using puts out sub par work in relation to the cost, then they obviously should not be charging a premium price.

Just picked up a rifle from GAP a couple of weeks ago. Here is the break down of their work. All in 1,420.
IMG_20220504_090040594~2.jpg

I have two smiths in my area. They are at $400 and $475 respectively for a chamber and muzzle thread. They both do excellent work. The first takes 2 - 4 weeks and the second takes 4 - 8 weeks.

You can't ethically mail back what you custom-ordered. Next time, check price. With all that pontificating, the price of $375 seemed a bit high.