Bedding - To sleeve or not to sleeve

A/C Guy

I bought a Bell & Carlson fiberglass stock from Midway for my 700ADL. I bedded the action from the recoil lug to the tang. Everything fits very nicely and rock solid. I replaced the cheap plastic trigger guard with the metal guard from Midway and bedded it as well. I also got the metal front action screw bushing. Should I bed sleeves for the action screws? Or will the epoxy and fiberglass be as strong/ stable/ secure. I did fill the hole for the rear action screw with bedding epoxy and then threaded the screw into the tang. I am unsure if I should put a sleeve between the front bushing and the bottom of the receiver or just fill it with epoxy as I did in the rear. I can see arguments pro and con, so I am looking for a definitive answer from the gurus here.

Thanks.

i recommend the sleeves(also called pillar bedding). one of the reasons i like to do this is so that when you tighten the action screws the just get tight and stop. when you do not have them pillar bedded it seems like you can just keep screwing them in.....this helps to keep the gun zeroed when taking the gun apart and cleaning...everything goes back to the same spot. just my 2 cents...AJ

I think it could be more problematic adding pillars after a bedding job. Adding them now, you're going to end up either short or long even if just by a thousandth or two, which would be detrimental (if long) or be of dubious use (if short).
With the receiver and bottom metal both bedded, there's nothing that should compress when the action screws are torqued
provided the bedding is of adequate depth and hardness.

. I did fill the hole for the rear action screw with bedding epoxy and then threaded the screw into the tang.
Commonly done, the epoxy sleeve top to bottom is a pillar in itself. However- be sure to drill out that hole for plenty of clearance. You do not want the action screws touching the walls of pillars.