Mauser "Tube Gun" Sleeve

oneyeopn

Does anyone manufacture a tube gun receiver sleeve that will fit the mauser long action. I have in the last 4 years kept my gunsmith and myself busy building Mauser 98 custom hunting rifles. I do not like the term sporterized because so many parts get changed that their relationship with the military rifle is almost nonexistant other than I like the original German Markings. At 100yrds all three rifles, two with scopes and one with Lyman TK aperture sights with front globe, shoot sub moa. They dont shoot one hole but .6 to .8 is good enough for the hunting I do in Kansas. I want to build a tube gun, using a Mauser 98 Action and I thought that having the receiver sleeve would stiffen the action up enough for a .308 Palma barrel that I have. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would appreciate it, I just love the grand daddy of all the modern bolt action rifles. Thank You
lightbulb

All of the "tube gun" kits, that I have seen, are set up for round actions. The recoil lug on a Mauser would prevent the action from entering the sleeve.

So if you milled off the recoil lug or milled a slot in the sleeve and inserted the receiver from the front end into the sleeve to let the recoil lug rest against the sleeve. Would that be a possibility. I have access to some nice mauser actions and already have a really nice "Palma" style 30 caliber barrel and am trying to figure out how this could work. I have access to a couple of really talented machinists with all the equipment and really want to build a tube gun. Money is an object or I would do it the easy way. Any help would be appreciated. I will attach a pic of one of my Mauser 98 hunting rifles this one is a VZ-24 BRNO and well built I might add. So you can see how serious I am about the Mauser Action. I am also super interested in building long range hunting rifles and have been doing just that.

Attachments

• DSCF0461.jpg
    DSCF0461.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF0462.jpg
    DSCF0462.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF0464.jpg
    DSCF0464.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF0466.jpg
    DSCF0466.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF0465.jpg
    DSCF0465.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 98
First off, nice rifle. Second, you have the plan. Get a tube gun kit and take your stuff to the machine shop to make chips. Make sure you get a tube kit long enough to accommodate that Mauser action.

If you can afford a tube gun kit , buy a Remington SA! I've built many hunting rifles using Mauser '98 military actions. They are fine for that purpose and make some classic rifles. The tube gun is a competition platform.. I'm sure someone out there has a competition rifle built on a Mauser '98, that'll shoot right along side more modern actions. But, especially if "money is an object" (3rd. post), I don't think I'd be trying to fit a Mauser into an $850 tube besigned for something else! Your other option,,,, buy some aluminum tube/bar stock.

I thank everyone for their quick answers, I guess that trying to build a competition action out of a Mauser 98 may not be the best way to go. But I will price the aluminum material, being that the airplane manufacturers in Wichita sell some really nice Alluminum and Aluminium Alloy surplus I might find some material to make one out of but I really have to reasses if that is the way to go or just to buy a Remington Action or to buy a Remington Rifle to use as a donor. Merry Christmas!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.