Not sure I’m buying into the hype

I waited for years becuase i didn't want to do the paper work and pay $200 for a stamp. Looking back i wish i would have done it sooner. $200 plus the cost of your can extending your rights and saving your ears is totally worth it. Me and my buddy joke now when we shoot with ppl who aren't suppressed....about it being too **** loud 😂😂 makes shooting much more enjoyable

I'm all about wearing ear pro with suppressors in many cases, generally meaning shooting on a concrete apron under a metal cover. But that's at the range. All the times NOT at the range when I probably wouldn't wear any ear pro anyway is when the can is great - I hunt without ear protection, that's worth every penny.

And at the end of the day cans are no more expensive than a good scope or a decent rifle, this isn't exactly a sport for penny-pinchers if you want to play at the high levels. It was always fun to hear the rich guys at the lease I worked on dog on the costs of things like suppressors or nice scopes or all the other random things guys get tightfisted over money-wise when they roll up in a $80k diesel truck with $90k toy hauler and $30k tricked out mule wearing gucci-flague to sit in a $5k blind and schwack a $10,000-a-tag whitetail, bragging about their guided fishing trips in Alaska and how expensive it was to ship their elk meat home and oh by the way their Kudu mount is finally ready after 2 years, what a pain in the *** that Africa trip was. I'll shoot more in one range trip than they will in a decade, so their opinions about what I shoot are pretty worthless to me. But I kept quiet about all their toys because their concept of a "tip" was along the lines of "what I normally made in a month". 🤣 Makes me miss those days.

You could say my can is paid for by wearing blue jeans to hunt in and driving a 15+ year old truck. We all choose to spend our money somewhere, mine goes to nice hardware and reloading gear.
F545284C-843A-4B1D-AC1B-910D11E1AA18.jpeg

The day is coming, go to range to shoot and the only one without a suppressor, and everyone will call him/her names and complain about the noise, etc. Then either they never go back or they pull out a gun and start shooting everyone because they are unstable d-bag. Then the range closes, and the snow ball rolls down the steep and slippery slope.

I own 4 suppressors and have a 5th in "jail". They make shooting so much more enjoyable from 22LR to 338 Lapua. With subsonic 22LR and subsonic 300 blackout a suppressor can seem very quiet. There is a night and day difference between a suppressor and a muzzle break. A suppressor is worth it as long as it won't break your budget. Other people close by will also appreciate your suppressor when you are shooting.

Where I hunt in urban/rural Indiana we are allowed to shoot deer with a 300 Blackout. On private land, I am within the legal allowable range from any houses but prefer that I am not noticed so I don't frighten those around me. That is where the suppressor has its place and prevents any misunderstanding with neighbors adjacent to the property I am on.

The other bonus is shooting deer with a 300 Blackout is also allowed on public land in Indiana. Here I don't necessarily need the suppressor but it beats scaring the living daylights out of other hunters who are in the area with me.

In both cases it also allows for little or minimal hearing protection so I can hear and I am aware of what is going on around me.

Good afternoon everyone,
For years I've went back and forth wanting to play the suppressor game. But I always talk myself out of it. Paying $200 for a tax stamp+ cost of suppressor (I know form 1 is an option for less money by making your own) to ultimately have a hunk of tube on the end of my barrel that I still should be wearing hearing protection with just doesn't seem too enticing at times. I totally understand they reduce db and I'm sure many like them because they look tactical and that gets everyone excited nowadays. But real world, end of the day reasoning…are they really worth it? Probably 80% of the videos and tests I have seen show people still wearing their ear pro or tough guys saying my ear don't ring AS BAD as the did without the can. Not trying to rain on the suppressor parade. But could someone enlighten me? Seem like a lot of money and headache to still have to wear your ear pro after spending $500-$2k.

Caleb
Totally agree, I'm not paying 200 dollar + to the gov for hearing protection. I use breaks for recoil reduction and use double hearing protection. Problem solved for very little money.

The day is coming, go to range to shoot and the only one without a suppressor, and everyone will call him/her names and complain about the noise, etc. Then either they never go back or they pull out a gun and start shooting everyone because they are unstable d-bag. Then the range closes, and the snow ball rolls down the steep and slippery slope.
Isn't that what some people think of the Yee-Yee AR blaster boys , that show up to the range now...
From what I'm told, what negative thoughts people have of the AR blasters, has little bearing on whether they come to the range or not.

Good afternoon everyone,
For years I've went back and forth wanting to play the suppressor game. But I always talk myself out of it. Paying $200 for a tax stamp+ cost of suppressor (I know form 1 is an option for less money by making your own) to ultimately have a hunk of tube on the end of my barrel that I still should be wearing hearing protection with just doesn't seem too enticing at times. I totally understand they reduce db and I'm sure many like them because they look tactical and that gets everyone excited nowadays. But real world, end of the day reasoning…are they really worth it? Probably 80% of the videos and tests I have seen show people still wearing their ear pro or tough guys saying my ear don't ring AS BAD as the did without the can. Not trying to rain on the suppressor parade. But could someone enlighten me? Seem like a lot of money and headache to still have to wear your ear pro after spending $500-$2k.

Caleb
Definitely not for everyone. But I haven't met a suppressor owner yet that wishes they had bought fewer than they have. (And I also haven't personally met one yet that has only one. Unless they are waiting for another one that's 'in jail')

We have 6 suppressors. When we went elk hunting this year our guide was so impressed on the reactions of other elk as the shot went off that he has since ordered his own. He was so glad we didn't use a brake. No need to plug his ears. We shot a 7 rem mag without hearing protection on that elk hunt. One shot didn't get the ringing started. We were able to hear the guide. It worked out amazingly. On the range we wear hearing protection. For repeated shooting and because of other people using brakes. The only problem I have, not a horrible one is i have 2 banish 30 suppressors. I have to make sure i have a certain one on my rifle and the other on my wife's as our zeros change with the two cans if interchanged. No biggie, i wrote on the can with a sharpie. Waa waa i know. Love them. My 243 and 222 sound like 22 rimfire. Awesome for calling yotes

We have 6 suppressors. When we went elk hunting this year our guide was so impressed on the reactions of other elk as the shot went off that he has since ordered his own. He was so glad we didn't use a brake. No need to plug his ears. We shot a 7 rem mag without hearing protection on that elk hunt. One shot didn't get the ringing started. We were able to hear the guide. It worked out amazingly. On the range we wear hearing protection. For repeated shooting and because of other people using brakes. The only problem I have, not a horrible one is i have 2 banish 30 suppressors. I have to make sure i have a certain one on my rifle and the other on my wife's as our zeros change with the two cans if interchanged. No biggie, i wrote on the can with a sharpie. Waa waa i know. Love them. My 243 and 222 sound like 22 rimfire. Awesome for calling yotes
First I've heard of that type of shift. I think that's an argument made for cans that aren't user serviceable or with interchangeable mounts. I'm not sure about everyone else but my experience with SF is that you will get a little shift but it's the same no matter the can. It's only host dependent. With a 300 SPS and 5.56 RC2 I got the same poi shift of my 16" AR and it's repeatable. I'm betting TBAC is the same way. As in a Ultra 5 and Ultra 9 would have the same shift on a given host

I think it is a fad for "cool factor" for many, much like DBMs and tacticool stocks, attached accessories, etc. Tried DBMs. Ruins the balance point where I like to carry a rifle. I can see their value for competition though. Have shot suppressed rifles of friends... not for me. Personally, I try and keep my rifles as light as possible with the componants I believe will make it as accurate and shootable as possible. I feel (for ME) an 8.5-9.5 lb rifle is a good combination for balance, accuracy, and aesthetics for Western hunting. I like a 25"-26" barrel for optimum performance within reason for hunting endeavors. A 6"-8" atrocity hanging off the end of the barrel is ugly and cumbersome... and adds weight Not my cup of tea.
To each his own. Earplugs are much lighter and less obtrusive for me if I feel the need.