Not sure I’m buying into the hype

Caleb777

Good afternoon everyone,
For years I've went back and forth wanting to play the suppressor game. But I always talk myself out of it. Paying $200 for a tax stamp+ cost of suppressor (I know form 1 is an option for less money by making your own) to ultimately have a hunk of tube on the end of my barrel that I still should be wearing hearing protection with just doesn't seem too enticing at times. I totally understand they reduce db and I'm sure many like them because they look tactical and that gets everyone excited nowadays. But real world, end of the day reasoning…are they really worth it? Probably 80% of the videos and tests I have seen show people still wearing their ear pro or tough guys saying my ear don't ring AS BAD as the did without the can. Not trying to rain on the suppressor parade. But could someone enlighten me? Seem like a lot of money and headache to still have to wear your ear pro after spending $500-$2k.

Caleb

Its worth it. Shooting my buddy's 6.5CM without a brake, with a brake, then a can. The can just makes the rifle way more pleasant to shoot. He's got a brake that's designed for the can so it can quick detach with like 3 turns.

Good afternoon everyone,
For years I've went back and forth wanting to play the suppressor game. But I always talk myself out of it. Paying $200 for a tax stamp+ cost of suppressor (I know form 1 is an option for less money by making your own) to ultimately have a hunk of tube on the end of my barrel that I still should be wearing hearing protection with just doesn't seem too enticing at times. I totally understand they reduce db and I'm sure many like them because they look tactical and that gets everyone excited nowadays. But real world, end of the day reasoning…are they really worth it? Probably 80% of the videos and tests I have seen show people still wearing their ear pro or tough guys saying my ear don't ring AS BAD as the did without the can. Not trying to rain on the suppressor parade. But could someone enlighten me? Seem like a lot of money and headache to still have to wear your ear pro after spending $500-$2k.

Caleb
That's your choice to make.

The way I would put it is they aren't as quite as you'd think they should be, but they eliminate the blast and suppress the sound down pretty well. The other consideration is you'll likely want to have your barrel around 20 inches so your can doesn't make your overall length into the 30 inch range. Some people like the giant barrel length I am happy at 26 all in brake or can

I have seen the lack of blast using a can help people shoot better, closer to the potential of the rifle. I also don't know a single person with a can that regrets the purchase at all. I have had people that haven't ever shot suppressed shoot my cans and can't believe how nice it is to shoot with them but the outlay of $$$ is more than they can or are willing to swing. For me, the money was well spent and I wish I had done it many years before I did. Every rifle I buy from here out will be set up to use a can.

I'm all about wearing ear pro with suppressors in many cases, generally meaning shooting on a concrete apron under a metal cover. But that's at the range. All the times NOT at the range when I probably wouldn't wear any ear pro anyway is when the can is great - I hunt without ear protection, that's worth every penny.

And at the end of the day cans are no more expensive than a good scope or a decent rifle, this isn't exactly a sport for penny-pinchers if you want to play at the high levels. It was always fun to hear the rich guys at the lease I worked on dog on the costs of things like suppressors or nice scopes or all the other random things guys get tightfisted over money-wise when they roll up in a $80k diesel truck with $90k toy hauler and $30k tricked out mule wearing gucci-flague to sit in a $5k blind and schwack a $10,000-a-tag whitetail, bragging about their guided fishing trips in Alaska and how expensive it was to ship their elk meat home and oh by the way their Kudu mount is finally ready after 2 years, what a pain in the *** that Africa trip was. I'll shoot more in one range trip than they will in a decade, so their opinions about what I shoot are pretty worthless to me. But I kept quiet about all their toys because their concept of a "tip" was along the lines of "what I normally made in a month". 🤣 Makes me miss those days.

You could say my can is paid for by wearing blue jeans to hunt in and driving a 15+ year old truck. We all choose to spend our money somewhere, mine goes to nice hardware and reloading gear.

It's totally worth it. Still wearing hearing protection is extending the useful lifespan of your hearing. Suppressors still have a pop but it's so greatly reduced that with hearing pro I think you could shoot a lifetime and never effect your ears. I'm mostly deaf in my left ear because not wearing pro and using a can.

Good afternoon everyone,

Caleb
Just do it! Many experience accuracy improvement too! Why? Supressed firearms reduce recoil and noise helping the shooter to focus on the task rather than avoid the recoil and the noise! Studies have shown that all the positive affects of shooting supressed do not make the firearm more accurate, just allows the shooter to become more accurate. You will not regret the decision and neither will everyone else on the line when you shoot! My choice was Thunderbeast because of their quick detach. Mine is bored 30 cal so it goes well on 30/338 and my AR 15 and everything in between.

Some of the previous responses have touched on this, but in addition to the reduced sound signature, the cans can be used on several guns. For example, I use my .338 can on several .308 rifles. I use my .45 can on several hand guns and a rifle.

I was always skeptical of the wait time and expense of a suppressor, afterall it is a sizeable investment.

What made the decision for me was my kids. Seeing how muzzle blast effected the overall experience for them made the choice for me.

Now the kids really enjoy shooting - making it a win in my book!

For what it is worth I am not a huge fan of the suppressor. I bought one and its a very nice pieve of technology, besides that it works well. I just have a hard time with the big hog leg on the end of my barrel. We used it last year antelope hunting on a 6.5 PRC and it was fantastic. No one had to wear hearing protection and everyone was able to watch the bullet impacts because they didn't have their fingers in their ears. I'm still not a huge fan but if you get a good one they do work well.