Nosler Partition Accuracy??? Compared to ...

muleythumper

I am a VERY beginner hand loader, and I am trying to get as much info as possible on different bullets to try out. I am going to use my handloads for hunting only....no bench rest competition. My question is, are Nosler Partitions an accurate load? I know they are a great hunting bullet, but are they as accurate as others such as Accubonds, Barnes TSX,Hornady, etc...?

It should be. I think more has to do with how accurate your powder measure, COL, and runout of your bullets are. I also think any boat tail bullet has the potential to be just as accurate as the next, provided the mfg does their part and produces quality and concentric length, weight, ogive and marplats on their bullets. That's why alot of the benchrest and competition guys will measure, weigh, and sort their bullets accordingly before loading them. I don't do this, but as a hunter and recreational shooter, as long as I'm getting tight cloverleaf groups I'm happy. But sometimes I do try to see how I can tweak my loads to possibly get a little more accuracy out of them to see how close I can get to shooting 1 ragged hole groups.

My 250 partitions I use in a 340 Wby are flat base bullets. They can be very accurate to a certain distance. In some rifles more accurate than boat tails. But after a given distance a boat tail will retain more energy, more velocity, have less drop and drift so at this point the boat tails, to me, are more accurate.

So what distance are we talking? and what caliber and bullet weight?

jeff

Partitions are designed and built for terminal performance first & foremost. Accuracy is not the primary goal of its design. However, I recently learned just how accurate a Partition bullet could shoot when I fired 3 consecutive surprisingly small groups with it at 200 yds.

Here are two of them - remember, they were shot at 200yds using a field weight hunting rifle.

338_RUM_2.JPG

338_RUM_1.JPG

They certainly can be accurate. I had a 300 win mag that shot the 200 gr partition into the tinest of clusters.

Here is a 6mm Rem that shoots groups like this everytime with 100 gr partitions. Both pics are five shot groups

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.