Nosler e-tip or Barnes LRX?

Snowbird

I'm looking to start reloading a non toxic round for my new elk gun in 7mm rem mag. i've used the barnes ttsx with good results (130gr 270wsm) and feel this projectile is more reliable for good expansion simply based on the pictures and others experience. the nosler however will likely shoot better groups and has a better BC. the question is will the nosler be as reliable with expansion on softer tissue like lung? the nosler accubonds shoot way better than i should be able to. i assume that since i've been able to get the AB and ballistic tip to shoot great in evey firearm i've tried them in that the etip will be similar results.

any experiences with both on reliable expansion of the two?

Haven't shot the e-Tip but I don't know what data you are basing the 'likely shoot better groups' statement.

I feel like there is a lot more data and experience out there with Barnes bullets.

Personally I shoot the 145gr LRX from their factory line in my 7RUM- it produces outstanding groups and hits HARD on animals, quite a few deer and an antelope to verify.

Barnes. Everything my son and I shoot with them dies with one shot. I tend to use the TTSX but load the 200 LRX in one 300 Win Mag that loves it.

I have had great success with the E-Tip and found the Nosler Charts to be accurate. I have only used the 180 grain in a 300 RUM and have one shot kills on three Bull elk and a once in a lifetime Buffalo in WY. I have not shot deer sized game with the E-Tip since I have always used the 165 grain Ballistic Tip for that.

Every Rifle we own shoots Barnes Bullets near 1/2 MOA or better. Haven't needed a 2nd bullet on anything. Hammer Bullets appear to be a Barnes knock-off without the polymer tip for 3 times the price. Try Barnes first. I doubt you'll find a better option in a non-toxic Bullet.

Every Rifle we own shoots Barnes Bullets near 1/2 MOA or better. Haven't needed a 2nd bullet on anything. Hammer Bullets appear to be a Barnes knock-off without the polymer tip for 3 times the price. Try Barnes first. I doubt you'll find a better option in a non-toxic Bullet.
Hammers are not even close to a Barnes knockoff. Expensive, yes, triple the price, nope. Maybe do some research on the hammers before you trash them saying what you think they are.
FYI I've shot and hunted with Barnes and never used a Hammer in my life. Just not a fan of people trashing something they've never tried let alone researched.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

Besides that, not all Barnes even have polymer tips.

I have used Barnes XFB, XBT, XLC, TSX, TTSX, LRX in a ton of rifles and on a lot of game. They all have worked well. Keep them above 1900fps impact velocity on game, and they perform.

That being said, I am trying some Hammer Hunters this year in my 6CM and probably in my 6.5SLR too. They are ridiculously accurate, even more so than Barnes. But a "Barnes knockoff" they are not. Different impact and performance theory altogether. I hear they work very well on game. And definitely not "3x the price of Barnes". About $1.10/ea for the Hammer, or $.80 for a similar Barnes LRX. Small price to pay for a freezer full of meat.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

Besides that, not all Barnes even have polymer tips.

No, but all of their new ones have them. What other part "couldn't be further from the truth"? The price? Pardon my hyperbole. You are right they are only twice as expensive as Barnes. I just bought some Barnes 200 gr LRX Bullets for $35.00/Box of 50. The fact that it is of the same design as the Barnes Bullets? The only difference is the Hammer Bullets are machined and have more grooves. And they cost twice as much. Have fun with your Hammer Bullets. I'll have 2 times the fun with my Barnes for the same $. I have no experience with Hammer Bullets but did research them and based on their price and how accurate and deadly Barnes Bullets have been for me, decided they weren't worth the freight. Barnes Bullets have never failed me in any aspect. Are you also a Creedmore Shooter? You seem very defensive about your Hammer Bullets. I'll try to be more sensitive in the future.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.