North Dakota elk

Bait57, Yes, plugging the correct numbers in a ballistics app can be confusing. It's super easy to forget to change a parameter especially when you are stressed like you were. That's where practice pays off. As we used to say in the military, "you fight the way you train." Meaning if you always "safe/turn off" a system during training because of training safety restrictions, you'll do the same thing during combat when you actually need the system to be turned "on". Many soldiers have paid the price for that mistake. So, practice the way you expect to hunt, practice changing ballistic parameters, shooting positions, high heart rates, different temps to see if your rifle freezes/jams, ammo fires, etc. Although practicing in -40F isn't possible for most of us, but you get the point = practice correctly.

Last edited:
Well y'all, I posted a while back that I was lucky enough to draw a once in a lifetime elk tag as a resident in North Dakota. This hunt was for a cow elk.

A good friend (also a member here) was/ is a great help because he not only helped me with all the info that I could possibly need but he also helped me with my load development.

I got furloughed from the RR in April, so we moved back to VA in July. I booked plane tickets and hotel in early May just in case we did in fact move. I also called several landowners once I found out I drew a tag. Surprisingly, most of them gave me permission to hunt their land. With all the info and land to hunt (roughly 30,000 acres) I had really high hopes.

Opening day, a friend and I hiked roughly 8 miles on public land without seeing elk. The same went for next day.

On the third day, I saw 5 elk with about 15 minutes of shooting light left at 1153 yards. It was a cross canyon shot that I was not comfortable taking due to the cross wind.

Day four, we came back to the same area. I didn't see any elk but my friend watched a small herd jump a fence on the property that we could hunt. By the time I got to the area (we were watching different canyons) they were gone. That evening didn't have any elk action.

Day five. No elk of the morning, so we went to a different property (20,000 acres) with a local to scout. Didn't see any elk but we saw several Big Horn Sheep at long range and up close. Again no elk for the day.

Day six started that same way as the rest. So mid morning we went to a prairie dog town to have a little fun. My friend had a .204 and a few boxes of bullets. I had a longest kill shot at 254 but hey shot a Badger. I think he won.
With a few hours left of my last day, we decided to go back to the area where he saw the herd a few days ago. My friend (Steve) decides to walk just over a knoll just to see the bottom. He came running back all excited which told me there were elk.
I grabbed my gun, pack, rangefinder, and ran for a small rise about 100 yards away. I got prone with my 300RUM, ranged a cow at 755, doped my scope, and let one fly. Shot way high. The elk ran into a draw and stopped. Steve ran back to the truck for a few more rounds because stupid me only had the one in the chamber because I have to single feed this gun due to bullet length. Three more shots had the same effect. It was obvious that something was wrong with scope. So this time I ran back to the truck and grabbed my backup 300 WinMag and four rounds. And through all this the herd of 12 or so elk didn't go anywhere. They actually started feeding again.

Finally back at my pack, ranged this time at 658 and fired. Same result, shot high but Steve was able to see the bullet impact in the bank behind the elk. I made a quick adjustment in my head and held the crosshairs below her belly right behind her shoulder and fired. The 210gr Berger hit her like a semi truck. It literally knocked her over. After about 45 seconds she tried to stand up but fell down hard again. Shooting light had diminished to we picked up the gear and waited about an hour.

When we walked over to where she dropped and we found blood but no elk. We heard something running down the draw so we backed out till the next morning.

At daylight on day seven, we were hot on the blood trail of my elk. We followed the blood trail for about 150yards and it disappeared. We had found several places where she had bedded and bled out. After three hours of searching, Steve found her in a draw. The roller coaster of emotions that I had felt for the week hit me like a ton of bricks, and the fact that we had put in about 45 miles worth of boot leather, but it was worth it.

I know it's a long post and I'm sorry for it, but a lot of things happened and lined up for this Once in a Lifetime hunt in North Dakota. View attachment 218693View attachment 218694View attachment 218695View attachment 218696View attachment 218697View attachment 218698View attachment 218699View attachment 218700View attachment 218701
Congratulations on your perseverance and success! I am glad to see your hard work paid off! I am also glad to see that not everybody is after horns! I am so over horns! Can't eat horns! I am after meat in the freezer.
Again, congratulations!!!

Congratulations on your perseverance and success! I am glad to see your hard work paid off! I am also glad to see that not everybody is after horns! I am so over horns! Can't eat horns! I am after meat in the freezer.
Again, congratulations!!!

Don't get me wrong, a big bull elk has always been on my bucket list, but I wasn't about to pass on this tag. Especially since I ain't never hunted those boogers before. It was a blast but exhausting. I'm still trying to recuperate.

Don't get me wrong, a big bull elk has always been on my bucket list, but I wasn't about to pass on this tag. Especially since I ain't never hunted those boogers before. It was a blast but exhausting. I'm still trying to recuperate.
Bait57: I hunted with a black powder muzzleloader along the state line outside Alpine Arizona and Reserve New Mexico for both elk and mule deer. Never got one of either. But--if I could have hunted the front yards of the people that lived along that highway (can't remember the name right now), I could have killed several 6x6 bulls and any number of cows. Makes you hunt the forest that much harder when you know they are that close to legal hunting areas. You can't believe you can't scare one up in the forest. I envy you and your hunt and your kill. I hope you recuperate soon enough to start thinking about your next hunt. The planning ain't too bad either.

Last edited:
I'm not what I would consider a long range hunter. Where I live there are not a lot of opportunities to shoot past 500 for practice. It seems to me you were consistently shooting high with 2 different rifles so it would seem it would have to be something they had in common. Maybe check your range finder, settings in your range finder and shooting app and the like. Units of measure and such can get changed accidentally. Just seems when I honk something up because of excitement, and it happens on occasion, there's no consistency. Cool story and I was glad to see the happy ending. That will be some tasty eating and life is good🙂

Bait57, Yes, plugging the correct numbers in a ballistics app can be confusing. It's super easy to forget to change a parameter especially when you are stressed like you were. That's where practice pays off. As we used to say in the military, "you fight the way you train." Meaning if you always "safe/turn off" a system during training because of training safety restrictions, you'll do the same thing during combat when you actually need the system to be turned "on". Many soldiers have paid the price for that mistake. So, practice the way you expect to hunt, practice changing ballistic parameters, shooting positions, high heart rates, different temps to see if your rifle freezes/jams, ammo fires, etc. Although practicing in -40F isn't possible for most of us, but you get the point = practice correctly.
Good advice

Bait57, most importantly you and your friend figured out there was a problem and came up with a solution. Years ago on an elk hunt I had shot my rifle out in the desert near my home. My final distance was 1000 yards. Tired from a day long session I failed to reset the elevation/windage turrets. A week later we located elk at 2000 meters. It took 90 minutes to close the distance to 760 yds. I dialed the correction and took the shot. Both my friends told me they didn't see the impact. I had missed. To our surprise the elk moved in our direction at 450 yds I shot again. Surprise my shot was way over and 10+ feet behind the elk. My 3rd shot was a missing. I left my bullets back 2000yds. The next morning I looked at my turrets and realized my mistake reset to my original zero. One of my friends was so upset with me. He took my rifle and shot at a rock 200 yds and center punched it. He suggested that my shooting sticks were the reason I missed. Then I told him that I had reset my turrets. The next day we located a herd at 1000 yards. I put my pack on and covered over 1500 yds to close the distance killing my elk at 65 yards. My buddies packed it out for me. So no matter what went wrong you both turned a bad situation into success! That my friend in my book tells me You and your Friend are always welcome at my campfire. SEMPER FEDELIS

Well y'all, I posted a while back that I was lucky enough to draw a once in a lifetime elk tag as a resident in North Dakota. This hunt was for a cow elk.

A good friend (also a member here) was/ is a great help because he not only helped me with all the info that I could possibly need but he also helped me with my load development.

I got furloughed from the RR in April, so we moved back to VA in July. I booked plane tickets and hotel in early May just in case we did in fact move. I also called several landowners once I found out I drew a tag. Surprisingly, most of them gave me permission to hunt their land. With all the info and land to hunt (roughly 30,000 acres) I had really high hopes.

Opening day, a friend and I hiked roughly 8 miles on public land without seeing elk. The same went for next day.

On the third day, I saw 5 elk with about 15 minutes of shooting light left at 1153 yards. It was a cross canyon shot that I was not comfortable taking due to the cross wind.

Day four, we came back to the same area. I didn't see any elk but my friend watched a small herd jump a fence on the property that we could hunt. By the time I got to the area (we were watching different canyons) they were gone. That evening didn't have any elk action.

Day five. No elk of the morning, so we went to a different property (20,000 acres) with a local to scout. Didn't see any elk but we saw several Big Horn Sheep at long range and up close. Again no elk for the day.

Day six started that same way as the rest. So mid morning we went to a prairie dog town to have a little fun. My friend had a .204 and a few boxes of bullets. I had a longest kill shot at 254 but hey shot a Badger. I think he won.
With a few hours left of my last day, we decided to go back to the area where he saw the herd a few days ago. My friend (Steve) decides to walk just over a knoll just to see the bottom. He came running back all excited which told me there were elk.
I grabbed my gun, pack, rangefinder, and ran for a small rise about 100 yards away. I got prone with my 300RUM, ranged a cow at 755, doped my scope, and let one fly. Shot way high. The elk ran into a draw and stopped. Steve ran back to the truck for a few more rounds because stupid me only had the one in the chamber because I have to single feed this gun due to bullet length. Three more shots had the same effect. It was obvious that something was wrong with scope. So this time I ran back to the truck and grabbed my backup 300 WinMag and four rounds. And through all this the herd of 12 or so elk didn't go anywhere. They actually started feeding again.

Finally back at my pack, ranged this time at 658 and fired. Same result, shot high but Steve was able to see the bullet impact in the bank behind the elk. I made a quick adjustment in my head and held the crosshairs below her belly right behind her shoulder and fired. The 210gr Berger hit her like a semi truck. It literally knocked her over. After about 45 seconds she tried to stand up but fell down hard again. Shooting light had diminished to we picked up the gear and waited about an hour.

When we walked over to where she dropped and we found blood but no elk. We heard something running down the draw so we backed out till the next morning.

At daylight on day seven, we were hot on the blood trail of my elk. We followed the blood trail for about 150yards and it disappeared. We had found several places where she had bedded and bled out. After three hours of searching, Steve found her in a draw. The roller coaster of emotions that I had felt for the week hit me like a ton of bricks, and the fact that we had put in about 45 miles worth of boot leather, but it was worth it.

I know it's a long post and I'm sorry for it, but a lot of things happened and lined up for this Once in a Lifetime hunt in North Dakota. View attachment 218693View attachment 218694View attachment 218695View attachment 218696View attachment 218697View attachment 218698View attachment 218699View attachment 218700View attachment 218701

Fun story and what a great adventure for you, beautiful country glad you put in the photos!

Nice story.
My brother once missed a nice mulie in Nebraska due to the fact he didn't reset his temperature in his ballistics app. He spotted some mule does in the morning, plugged all his info into app, waited but no bucks came out.
Right before sunset he spots a nice mule buck at 800 yards. Plugs the info into app, gets his dial up. Shoots, and misses by a couple inches over the top. During the 3 mile hike back to camp, he was running every scenario in his head why he missed (we practice a lot of long range shooting), then it hits him he never readjusted the temperature in his shooting app. Morning was 25F*, evening was 67F. Back at camp he inputs the correct info, he needed to be 12 inches lower. The temperature made a difference of 12 inches.

*not 100% sure on the exact numbers, been a few years.

Great story that describes the ups and downs of a successful hunt, glad you harvested a fine animal.....many great dinners ahead!!

Something that was just brought to my attention. My rifles were zeroed at 900ft in elevation but I shot the elk at 3000ft. I don't know how much difference that makes.

Either way, at the end of the day, I was super lucky to not only draw a tag but harvest and elk for the first time I've ever hunted for one. I am hooked on it now.

I know and plan on shooting more at long longer ranges. I have a Mule deer hunt next month.
I had pretty much the same thing happen on my first deer hunt in western ND. The combination of my Dope being from a lower elevation, it being a warmer than expected day 73* and shooting at a downhill angle caused me to put a couple rounds over the top of a deer at 640 yards. I wasn't fortunate enough to have a spotter make a correction for me. Congratulations!

Never
Never
Never

Apologize for A HUNTING STORY!!!

ELK HUNTING IS ALWAYS HIGHS AND LOWS!!!

DID YOU SEE ELK???

NOPE

BUT I SAW: BIGHORN SHEEP!

OR FOR ME IN WA STATE...

ELK, NOPE

BUT I SAW BIG HORNS, MOUNTAIN GOATS, GRIZZLIES, GRIZZLIES, LYNX, WOLF , MOOSE.....

I SAW ALL THOSE IN THE DESERT BETWEEN POTHOLES RESERVOIR BETWEEN MOSES LAKE AND HANFORD...

NEVER ONCE SAW A BULL IN SEASON THERE IN 5 YEARS TRYING....

SHOT GEESE, PHEASANT. QUAIL, DUCK AND GROUSE WHILE ELK HUNTING!!!

AND SAW MOUNTAIN GOATS IN THE DESERT RUNNING WITH PRONGHORN IN THE SHADE!!!

SAW BIGHORNS AT 20' IN SAND WASHES!!!

SAW A COUGAR HUNTING CHUKARS!!

WOLF MOM TEACHING PUPS HOW TO HUNT GEESE....

NEVER GOT THAT ELUSIVE MT ST HELENS ROOSEVELT IN THE DESERT....

BUT

I SAW A BLACK BEAR SOW FEEDING A BLUE, CINNAMON AND BLACK CUB...

I SAW A GRIZZLY TAKE A BATH IN TGE COLUMBIA River

I saw a Grizzly eating a 7?' Sturgeon it killed....

elk hunting hunts are pages not paragraphs!!

Agreed 100 percent. He's from ND, zeroed in ND, and hunting in ND and both rifles shot very high. Any elevation change would be negligible in ND, it's pretty flat up there. I don't believe his misses were due to the rifle or scope. He was running around a lot, making lots of mistakes, excited and it was the last hours of a weeklong hunt, so I'll bet his heart was beating hard and probably breathing hard. I'm also guessing he doesn't shoot much at 700 yds. To calculate "dope" for 700 and then still shoot 30" plus high after dialing that dope (he had to hold under the elk and still hit the top of its back), tells me he didn't practice much, if at all, at those ranges. An inaccurate rifle shooting 2" 100 yd groups at 700 yds is 14" on a 24" brisket to back elk, but he consistently missed over 30 inches. 700 yds is not that far if you practice shooting like you suggested above.

Making A buttload of NEGATIVE ASSumptions.

DEBBY DOWNER!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.