North Dakota elk

Bait57

Well y'all, I posted a while back that I was lucky enough to draw a once in a lifetime elk tag as a resident in North Dakota. This hunt was for a cow elk.

A good friend (also a member here) was/ is a great help because he not only helped me with all the info that I could possibly need but he also helped me with my load development.

I got furloughed from the RR in April, so we moved back to VA in July. I booked plane tickets and hotel in early May just in case we did in fact move. I also called several landowners once I found out I drew a tag. Surprisingly, most of them gave me permission to hunt their land. With all the info and land to hunt (roughly 30,000 acres) I had really high hopes.

Opening day, a friend and I hiked roughly 8 miles on public land without seeing elk. The same went for next day.

On the third day, I saw 5 elk with about 15 minutes of shooting light left at 1153 yards. It was a cross canyon shot that I was not comfortable taking due to the cross wind.

Day four, we came back to the same area. I didn't see any elk but my friend watched a small herd jump a fence on the property that we could hunt. By the time I got to the area (we were watching different canyons) they were gone. That evening didn't have any elk action.

Day five. No elk of the morning, so we went to a different property (20,000 acres) with a local to scout. Didn't see any elk but we saw several Big Horn Sheep at long range and up close. Again no elk for the day.

Day six started that same way as the rest. So mid morning we went to a prairie dog town to have a little fun. My friend had a .204 and a few boxes of bullets. I had a longest kill shot at 254 but hey shot a Badger. I think he won.
With a few hours left of my last day, we decided to go back to the area where he saw the herd a few days ago. My friend (Steve) decides to walk just over a knoll just to see the bottom. He came running back all excited which told me there were elk.
I grabbed my gun, pack, rangefinder, and ran for a small rise about 100 yards away. I got prone with my 300RUM, ranged a cow at 755, doped my scope, and let one fly. Shot way high. The elk ran into a draw and stopped. Steve ran back to the truck for a few more rounds because stupid me only had the one in the chamber because I have to single feed this gun due to bullet length. Three more shots had the same effect. It was obvious that something was wrong with scope. So this time I ran back to the truck and grabbed my backup 300 WinMag and four rounds. And through all this the herd of 12 or so elk didn't go anywhere. They actually started feeding again.

Finally back at my pack, ranged this time at 658 and fired. Same result, shot high but Steve was able to see the bullet impact in the bank behind the elk. I made a quick adjustment in my head and held the crosshairs below her belly right behind her shoulder and fired. The 210gr Berger hit her like a semi truck. It literally knocked her over. After about 45 seconds she tried to stand up but fell down hard again. Shooting light had diminished to we picked up the gear and waited about an hour.

When we walked over to where she dropped and we found blood but no elk. We heard something running down the draw so we backed out till the next morning.

At daylight on day seven, we were hot on the blood trail of my elk. We followed the blood trail for about 150yards and it disappeared. We had found several places where she had bedded and bled out. After three hours of searching, Steve found her in a draw. The roller coaster of emotions that I had felt for the week hit me like a ton of bricks, and the fact that we had put in about 45 miles worth of boot leather, but it was worth it.

I know it's a long post and I'm sorry for it, but a lot of things happened and lined up for this Once in a Lifetime hunt in North Dakota.
F30944E5-5BDA-41AD-8068-D6B3312FFAA5.jpeg
88D77197-2B86-454F-8F2F-1827B87A1496.jpeg
1674162B-F953-4AD8-BF66-EAF4634A3E99.jpeg
5ED4F64B-6E27-434F-B357-3B6D90FF4959.jpeg
5503DC3C-344F-4512-B05A-448316FE52F2.jpeg
45B9DAAE-86A6-4E56-B85F-CE5DA5D55578.jpeg
3728BABA-CFBC-4941-BC53-7147DCEFBCCE.jpeg
9FF4E802-C404-4C1B-8643-716E65C7BD6B.jpeg
D29B7F72-C3DA-4FCC-B257-EA004DF2C057.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm glad everything worked out. Elk hunting is exactly the way you said it, a roller coaster of emotions.
Your photos definitely captured all the North Dakota Badlands has to offer. Beautiful sunrises and sunsets, beautiful unforgettable terrain, and the legendary history of Teddy Roosevelt.
Your photos show 2 successes that I can see. The first was your elk. The second were the ND bighorns that very few people get to witness. ND gives out less than 5 tags every year (one auction tag that usually goes no less than $50k).
They call it a once in a lifetime tag for a reason. Now you know why.

Congrats!

Congrats! Great story and enjoyed the pics! As I've taken elk, I'd love to have a chance at a Bighorn!!!!

Once again, CONGRATS!!!

Well y'all, I posted a while back that I was lucky enough to draw a once in a lifetime elk tag as a resident in North Dakota. This hunt was for a cow elk.

A good friend (also a member here) was/ is a great help because he not only helped me with all the info that I could possibly need but he also helped me with my load development.

I got furloughed from the RR in April, so we moved back to VA in July. I booked plane tickets and hotel in early May just in case we did in fact move. I also called several landowners once I found out I drew a tag. Surprisingly, most of them gave me permission to hunt their land. With all the info and land to hunt (roughly 30,000 acres) I had really high hopes.

Opening day, a friend and I hiked roughly 8 miles on public land without seeing elk. The same went for next day.

On the third day, I saw 5 elk with about 15 minutes of shooting light left at 1153 yards. It was a cross canyon shot that I was not comfortable taking due to the cross wind.

Day four, we came back to the same area. I didn't see any elk but my friend watched a small herd jump a fence on the property that we could hunt. By the time I got to the area (we were watching different canyons) they were gone. That evening didn't have any elk action.

Day five. No elk of the morning, so we went to a different property (20,000 acres) with a local to scout. Didn't see any elk but we saw several Big Horn Sheep at long range and up close. Again no elk for the day.

Day six started that same way as the rest. So mid morning we went to a prairie dog town to have a little fun. My friend had a .204 and a few boxes of bullets. I had a longest kill shot at 254 but hey shot a Badger. I think he won.
With a few hours left of my last day, we decided to go back to the area where he saw the herd a few days ago. My friend (Steve) decides to walk just over a knoll just to see the bottom. He came running back all excited which told me there were elk.
I grabbed my gun, pack, rangefinder, and ran for a small rise about 100 yards away. I got prone with my 300RUM, ranged a cow at 755, doped my scope, and let one fly. Shot way high. The elk ran into a draw and stopped. Steve ran back to the truck for a few more rounds because stupid me only had the one in the chamber because I have to single feed this gun due to bullet length. Three more shots had the same effect. It was obvious that something was wrong with scope. So this time I ran back to the truck and grabbed my backup 300 WinMag and four rounds. And through all this the herd of 12 or so elk didn't go anywhere. They actually started feeding again.

Finally back at my pack, ranged this time at 658 and fired. Same result, shot high but Steve was able to see the bullet impact in the back behind the elk. I made a quick adjustment in my head and held the crosshairs below her belly right behind her shoulder and fired. The 210gr Berger hit her like a semi truck. It literally knocked her over. After about 45 seconds she tried to stand up but fell down hard again. Shooting light had diminished to we picked up the gear and waited about an hour.

When we walked over to where she dropped we found blood but no elk. We her something running down the draw so we backed out till the next morning.

At daylight on day seven, we were hot on the blood trail of my elk. We followed the blood trail for about 150yards and it disappeared. We had found several places where she had bedded and bled out. After three hours of searching, Steve found her in a draw. The roller coaster of emotions that I had felt for the week hit me like a ton of bricks, and the fact that we had put in about 45 miles worth of boot leather, but it was worth it.

I know it's a long post and I'm sorry for it, but a lot of things happened and lined up for this Once in a Lifetime hunt in North Dakota. View attachment 218693View attachment 218694View attachment 218695View attachment 218696View attachment 218697View attachment 218698View attachment 218699View attachment 218700View attachment 218701
Nice lookin' chunk of sandwich meat you put on the ground. Looks to me like "Everything is beautiful" in North Dakota. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like you had a great week! When you got to the elk at the end I couldn't slow myself down. Thanks for that. And glad you stuck with it and found the elk after it was dead. A couple of 'just wondering' types of questions based on mistakes I've made..... did you practice with those rifles at long range before hunting season? And one more tip based on my mistake.... if an elk goes down, reload right away as if you had missed. Get on it and if it flinches, shoot it again. Repeat! These are tough animals and just because they are down doesn't mean they are out. I hope you get to go again!!

Congratulations. Nice story. Can't be sure from the photos, but did you hit the cow very high on the back? I can see a trail of blood down the side and looks like you almost missed it very high on the back?

Finally back at my pack, ranged this time at 658 and fired. Same result, shot high but Steve was able to see the bullet impact in the bank behind the elk. I made a quick adjustment in my head and held the crosshairs below her belly right behind her shoulder and fired. The 210gr Berger hit her like a semi truck. It literally knocked her over. After about 45 seconds she tried to stand up but fell down hard again. Shooting light had diminished to we picked up the gear and waited about an hour.

When we walked over to where she dropped and we found blood but no elk. We heard something running down the draw so we backed out till the next morning.

I know it's a long post and I'm sorry for it, but a lot of things happened and lined up for this Once in a Lifetime hunt in North Dakota. View attachment 218693View attachment 218694View attachment 218695View attachment 218696View attachment 218697View attachment 218698View attachment 218699View attachment 218700View attachment 218701
God is Great.
Great post. Congrats.

Congratulations and good story. Did you figure out what went wrong on the rifles? What Dfrahm said. Stay on them and if they move, punch another hole in them. I have tracked too many of them after my friends swear they put a good hit on them and started high five dance and look up and the elk it running off.
Great photos of the hunt area. Nice photos of the sheep.
Mike

Persistence and a positive attitude paid off. Elk cover large areas and it's important to cover allot of country. We all have made mistakes. A lesson to take away is when you arrive at your hunting area make time to confirm your zero. We shoot at 50, 200, 400 and 600 yards. Not in the areas we're going to hunt. But in the same terrain and conditions. We practice in the off season regularly shooting from different positions. Off of a bipod, tripod, backpack, shooting sticks, etc. Prone, sitting, kneeling and offhand. Great story. Awesome results. Lots of excellent dinner fair. Memories to share. CONGRATULATIONS 🎉🎊

Persistence and a positive attitude paid off. Elk cover large areas and it's important to cover allot of country. We all have made mistakes. A lesson to take away is when you arrive at your hunting area make time to confirm your zero. We shoot at 50, 200, 400 and 600 yards. Not in the areas we're going to hunt. But in the same terrain and conditions. We practice in the off season regularly shooting from different positions. Off of a bipod, tripod, backpack, shooting sticks, etc. Prone, sitting, kneeling and offhand. Great story. Awesome results. Lots of excellent dinner fair. Memories to share. CONGRATULATIONS 🎉🎊

Agreed 100 percent. He's from ND, zeroed in ND, and hunting in ND and both rifles shot very high. Any elevation change would be negligible in ND, it's pretty flat up there. I don't believe his misses were due to the rifle or scope. He was running around a lot, making lots of mistakes, excited and it was the last hours of a weeklong hunt, so I'll bet his heart was beating hard and probably breathing hard. I'm also guessing he doesn't shoot much at 700 yds. To calculate "dope" for 700 and then still shoot 30" plus high after dialing that dope (he had to hold under the elk and still hit the top of its back), tells me he didn't practice much, if at all, at those ranges. An inaccurate rifle shooting 2" 100 yd groups at 700 yds is 14" on a 24" brisket to back elk, but he consistently missed over 30 inches. 700 yds is not that far if you practice shooting like you suggested above.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.