Never

Apologize for A HUNTING STORY!!!

ELK HUNTING IS ALWAYS HIGHS AND LOWS!!!

DID YOU SEE ELK???

NOPE

BUT I SAW: BIGHORN SHEEP!

OR FOR ME IN WA STATE...

ELK, NOPE

BUT I SAW BIG HORNS, MOUNTAIN GOATS, GRIZZLIES, GRIZZLIES, LYNX, WOLF , MOOSE.....

I SAW ALL THOSE IN THE DESERT BETWEEN POTHOLES RESERVOIR BETWEEN MOSES LAKE AND HANFORD...

NEVER ONCE SAW A BULL IN SEASON THERE IN 5 YEARS TRYING....

SHOT GEESE, PHEASANT. QUAIL, DUCK AND GROUSE WHILE ELK HUNTING!!!

AND SAW MOUNTAIN GOATS IN THE DESERT RUNNING WITH PRONGHORN IN THE SHADE!!!

SAW BIGHORNS AT 20' IN SAND WASHES!!!

SAW A COUGAR HUNTING CHUKARS!!

WOLF MOM TEACHING PUPS HOW TO HUNT GEESE....

NEVER GOT THAT ELUSIVE MT ST HELENS ROOSEVELT IN THE DESERT....

BUT

I SAW A BLACK BEAR SOW FEEDING A BLUE, CINNAMON AND BLACK CUB...

I SAW A GRIZZLY TAKE A BATH IN TGE COLUMBIA River

I saw a Grizzly eating a 7?' Sturgeon it killed....

elk hunting hunts are pages not paragraphs!!
Wow fellow Washingtonian, that's quite a story....are we doing fiction on here now? Sorry I'm gonna have to call BS on grizzly in that area killing sturgeon and the pronghorn. The only pronghorn in this state were reintroduced by the colville indian reservation way north of your animal utopia. Sturgeon live on the bottom in deep rivers. And I highly doubt any grizzlies in that area. But if you were just making the point of enjoying all the wildlife the outdoors have to offer while we're out looking for a specific animal, I'm totally good with that. But let's keep it real.

Wow fellow Washingtonian, that's quite a story....are we doing fiction on here now? Sorry I'm gonna have to call BS on grizzly in that area killing sturgeon and the pronghorn. The only pronghorn in this state were reintroduced by the colville indian reservation way north of your animal utopia. Sturgeon live on the bottom in deep rivers. And I highly doubt any grizzlies in that area. But if you were just making the point of enjoying all the wildlife the outdoors have to offer while we're out looking for a specific animal, I'm totally good with that. But let's keep it real.
Btw seen pronghorn swimming the Columbia below Golden Dale, in the Palouse hills, on the colockum and on Othello side of the Columbia across from Hanford

Spent many a cold december to March day fishing sturgeon above and below Hanford near both dams on their spawning grounds in less than 6' of water with poles on front of the pickup

Seen wolves on the colockum on the east slop side as well
as Grizzly, at 20' with a bow in my hand and covered in blood from a cow elk I was ALMOST done boning out!!!

You really need to get out partner

15 plus years ago saw 5 pronghorn in hills between Kelso and st Helen's

Saw pronghorn whitetail blacktail mulies Rosie's. and rocky mountain elk ALL IN 1 LARGE PIVOT (SQUARE MILE) FIELD IN AUGUST BACK IN 94 OR 95 IN THE RATTLESNAKE HILLS AS WELL...

LOTS OF PRONGHORN HIDING BETWEEN SPOKANE AND CUSICK....

I USUALLY SPOTTED THEM LOOKING FOR MY EVER ELUSIVE 300LB WHITETAIL....

ONLY GOT 1 IN 18 YEARS TRYING... ABOUT 1 MILE FROM CANADA RUNNING WITH BIGHORN RAMS ABOVE Northport Washington

Bait57, most importantly you and your friend figured out there was a problem and came up with a solution. Years ago on an elk hunt I had shot my rifle out in the desert near my home. My final distance was 1000 yards. Tired from a day long session I failed to reset the elevation/windage turrets. A week later we located elk at 2000 meters. It took 90 minutes to close the distance to 760 yds. I dialed the correction and took the shot. Both my friends told me they didn't see the impact. I had missed. To our surprise the elk moved in our direction at 450 yds I shot again. Surprise my shot was way over and 10+ feet behind the elk. My 3rd shot was a missing. I left my bullets back 2000yds. The next morning I looked at my turrets and realized my mistake reset to my original zero. One of my friends was so upset with me. He took my rifle and shot at a rock 200 yds and center punched it. He suggested that my shooting sticks were the reason I missed. Then I told him that I had reset my turrets. The next day we located a herd at 1000 yards. I put my pack on and covered over 1500 yds to close the distance killing my elk at 65 yards. My buddies packed it out for me. So no matter what went wrong you both turned a bad situation into success! That my friend in my book tells me You and your Friend are always welcome at my campfire. SEMPER FEDELIS

Turrets are great until they ain't. Been there, done that. Life is humbling at times.
Oorah

I have hunted washington for 37 years including some of those areas extensively. There are no pronghorn antelope between Spokane and Cusick. And did you say you got 1 in 18 years? There is no season for them in my state because there aren't any to hunt on public land. Send a pic....

Btw seen pronghorn swimming the Columbia below Golden Dale, in the Palouse hills, on the colockum and on Othello side of the Columbia across from Hanford

Spent many a cold december to March day fishing sturgeon above and below Hanford near both dams on their spawning grounds in less than 6' of water with poles on front of the pickup

Seen wolves on the colockum on the east slop side as well
as Grizzly, at 20' with a bow in my hand and covered in blood from a cow elk I was ALMOST done boning out!!!

You really need to get out partner

15 plus years ago saw 5 pronghorn in hills between Kelso and st Helen's

Saw pronghorn whitetail blacktail mulies Rosie's. and rocky mountain elk ALL IN 1 LARGE PIVOT (SQUARE MILE) FIELD IN AUGUST BACK IN 94 OR 95 IN THE RATTLESNAKE HILLS AS WELL...

LOTS OF PRONGHORN HIDING BETWEEN SPOKANE AND CUSICK....

I USUALLY SPOTTED THEM LOOKING FOR MY EVER ELUSIVE 300LB WHITETAIL....

ONLY GOT 1 IN 18 YEARS TRYING... ABOUT 1 MILE FROM CANADA RUNNING WITH BIGHORN RAMS ABOVE Northport Washington
Send a trophy pic.

Gentlemen, this is a thread of one of our members trying to share an experience he had hunting elk. He was not looking for a run down of how or why he missed. I'm pretty sure he doesn't care about the hawks, eagles, sturgeon, bears or antelope in Washington. Please give him the respect and courtesy he deserves.

Last edited:
Well y'all, I posted a while back that I was lucky enough to draw a once in a lifetime elk tag as a resident in North Dakota. This hunt was for a cow elk.

A good friend (also a member here) was/ is a great help because he not only helped me with all the info that I could possibly need but he also helped me with my load development.

I got furloughed from the RR in April, so we moved back to VA in July. I booked plane tickets and hotel in early May just in case we did in fact move. I also called several landowners once I found out I drew a tag. Surprisingly, most of them gave me permission to hunt their land. With all the info and land to hunt (roughly 30,000 acres) I had really high hopes.

Opening day, a friend and I hiked roughly 8 miles on public land without seeing elk. The same went for next day.

On the third day, I saw 5 elk with about 15 minutes of shooting light left at 1153 yards. It was a cross canyon shot that I was not comfortable taking due to the cross wind.

Day four, we came back to the same area. I didn't see any elk but my friend watched a small herd jump a fence on the property that we could hunt. By the time I got to the area (we were watching different canyons) they were gone. That evening didn't have any elk action.

Day five. No elk of the morning, so we went to a different property (20,000 acres) with a local to scout. Didn't see any elk but we saw several Big Horn Sheep at long range and up close. Again no elk for the day.

Day six started that same way as the rest. So mid morning we went to a prairie dog town to have a little fun. My friend had a .204 and a few boxes of bullets. I had a longest kill shot at 254 but hey shot a Badger. I think he won.
With a few hours left of my last day, we decided to go back to the area where he saw the herd a few days ago. My friend (Steve) decides to walk just over a knoll just to see the bottom. He came running back all excited which told me there were elk.
I grabbed my gun, pack, rangefinder, and ran for a small rise about 100 yards away. I got prone with my 300RUM, ranged a cow at 755, doped my scope, and let one fly. Shot way high. The elk ran into a draw and stopped. Steve ran back to the truck for a few more rounds because stupid me only had the one in the chamber because I have to single feed this gun due to bullet length. Three more shots had the same effect. It was obvious that something was wrong with scope. So this time I ran back to the truck and grabbed my backup 300 WinMag and four rounds. And through all this the herd of 12 or so elk didn't go anywhere. They actually started feeding again.

Finally back at my pack, ranged this time at 658 and fired. Same result, shot high but Steve was able to see the bullet impact in the bank behind the elk. I made a quick adjustment in my head and held the crosshairs below her belly right behind her shoulder and fired. The 210gr Berger hit her like a semi truck. It literally knocked her over. After about 45 seconds she tried to stand up but fell down hard again. Shooting light had diminished to we picked up the gear and waited about an hour.

When we walked over to where she dropped and we found blood but no elk. We heard something running down the draw so we backed out till the next morning.

At daylight on day seven, we were hot on the blood trail of my elk. We followed the blood trail for about 150yards and it disappeared. We had found several places where she had bedded and bled out. After three hours of searching, Steve found her in a draw. The roller coaster of emotions that I had felt for the week hit me like a ton of bricks, and the fact that we had put in about 45 miles worth of boot leather, but it was worth it.

I know it's a long post and I'm sorry for it, but a lot of things happened and lined up for this Once in a Lifetime hunt in North Dakota. View attachment 218693View attachment 218694View attachment 218695View attachment 218696View attachment 218697View attachment 218698View attachment 218699View attachment 218700View attachment 218701
I lived in the peace garden state a long time ago (50 years)
Now reside east of the Mississippi and have noticed that when I go out there for sod poodles all my guns shoot high.
Not a lot of elevation difference (less than a thousand feet) but they are consistently high.

I lived in the peace garden state a long time ago (50 years)
Now reside east of the Mississippi and have noticed that when I go out there for sod poodles all my guns shoot high.
Not a lot of elevation difference (less than a thousand feet) but they are consistently high.

I'm back east of the Mississippi as well. I really enjoyed the hunt. I am going back next month for a Mule deer hunt. Yet another animal that I haven't hunted but is on my bucket list. Hopefully things will go well.

I've got some more range time to get in which I plan to do in the next few days. I'll also be shooting again when I get up there. Although I will be driving this time instead of flying.

I have hunted washington for 37 years including some of those areas extensively. There are no pronghorn antelope between Spokane and Cusick. And did you say you got 1 in 18 years? There is no season for them in my state because there aren't any to hunt on public land. Send a pic....

Guess your THE SECOND KEYBOARD COWBOY YALKING OUT HIS ARSE RSTHER THAN GETTING IN THE WOODS!!!

NO WHITE TAILS IN ESTACADA OREGON

NO ROOSEVELTS AT HANFORD

NO MOOSE, RAMS, PRONGHORN. GRIZZ. WOLVES or lynx on the colockum or potholes or rattlesnake hills or Palouse hills....

Or

Maybe you guys need to live in the woods OVER 3000 NIGHTS IN YOUR FIRST 40 YEARS!!!!

OR

MAYBE YOU NEED TO GROW UP A GODSON TO 2 DIFFERENT CHIEFS IN PNW TRIBES

OR

MAYBE YOU NEED TO HONE YOUR SKILLS HUNTING "THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME"

OR

MAYBE YOU NEED TO STUDY THE WRITINGS OF THE MOUNTAIN MEN AND SETTLERS TO FIND OUT WHERE THE ANIMALS USED TO BE

AND

KNOW WHERE THE YEAR ROUND LOGGERS, MINERS (THE BEARDED GUYS WITH MULES), HOMESTEADERS ARE AND GIVE/TRADE MILLET, FLOUR, BATTERIES, EGGS AND SOAP FREELY YEAR ROUND.....

I GUESS I AM FULL OF CRAP....

YOUR RIGHT....

OR MAYBE COMPARED TO ME YOUR JUST A HALF *** ANIMAL FINDER...

Nope the unicorn cow Roosevelt's.THe red and orange bench leg Roosevelt's, the black panthers, the grizzlies on the rogue river...

Those were imaginary too.....

So were the paintings in the ape caves

The ice in the rattlesnake range caves and the north side hood caves with paiute paintings...

Btw dirtbag w learn to read
1 300lb white tail 5x5 basket buck, 14 yrs old according to wfg tooth study, 5 days dead weighed 325 on certified scale gutted.

Good luck homies

Guess your THE SECOND KEYBOARD COWBOY YALKING OUT HIS ARSE RSTHER THAN GETTING IN THE WOODS!!!

NO WHITE TAILS IN ESTACADA OREGON

NO ROOSEVELTS AT HANFORD

NO MOOSE, RAMS, PRONGHORN. GRIZZ. WOLVES or lynx on the colockum or potholes or rattlesnake hills or Palouse hills....

Or

Maybe you guys need to live in the woods OVER 3000 NIGHTS IN YOUR FIRST 40 YEARS!!!!

OR

MAYBE YOU NEED TO GROW UP A GODSON TO 2 DIFFERENT CHIEFS IN PNW TRIBES

OR

MAYBE YOU NEED TO HONE YOUR SKILLS HUNTING "THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME"

OR

MAYBE YOU NEED TO STUDY THE WRITINGS OF THE MOUNTAIN MEN AND SETTLERS TO FIND OUT WHERE THE ANIMALS USED TO BE

AND

KNOW WHERE THE YEAR ROUND LOGGERS, MINERS (THE BEARDED GUYS WITH MULES), HOMESTEADERS ARE AND GIVE/TRADE MILLET, FLOUR, BATTERIES, EGGS AND SOAP FREELY YEAR ROUND.....

I GUESS I AM FULL OF CRAP....

YOUR RIGHT....

OR MAYBE COMPARED TO ME YOUR JUST A HALF *** ANIMAL FINDER...

Nope the unicorn cow Roosevelt's.THe red and orange bench leg Roosevelt's, the black panthers, the grizzlies on the rogue river...

Those were imaginary too.....

So were the paintings in the ape caves

The ice in the rattlesnake range caves and the north side hood caves with paiute paintings...

Btw dirtbag w learn to read
1 300lb white tail 5x5 basket buck, 14 yrs old according to wfg tooth study, 5 days dead weighed 325 on certified scale gutted.

Good luck homies
bdyal1972: What was that you wrote? dirtbag? Talk about Yalking out your arse hiding behind a keyboard. I did not think there could be any squirrel-birds on this forum and I'm only here a few days and here you are trucking up the fal-la-la. You need to learn how to write in proper English so someone besides yourself could understand whatever it is that you are trying to convey. But maybe not. I doubt anyone here really cares what you write. Everyone here probably knows not to read anything from you already. Now I should learn my lesson, but I will probably not be able to tear myself away from your infantile rants.

bdyal1972: What was that you wrote? dirtbag? Talk about Yalking out your arse hiding behind a keyboard. I did not think there could be any squirrel-birds on this forum and I'm only here a few days and here you are trucking up the fal-la-la. You need to learn how to write in proper English so someone besides yourself could understand whatever it is that you are trying to convey. But maybe not. I doubt anyone here really cares what you write. Everyone here probably knows not to read anything from you already. Now I should learn my lesson, but I will probably not be able to tear myself away from your infantile rants.
Calling out a guy on bs when he's shown and seen EXACTLY THESE ANIMALS IN EXACTLY THESE PLACES 30 AND 40 YEARS JUST MAKES ME IRRITABLE!!!

Go ahead, don't believe me, don't be a *** and say I am a liar....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.