Non-belted mag for 700yd elk- caliber help

300 win mag, 26" long range Remington 5r. Timney Calvin elite trigger.
Save your money for the hunt.
I would do a 6-24 or 5-20 or 5-25 better. Long range rifle needs long range glass. Zeiss 5-25 HD conquest is amaziing..
If you have to go custom id get a defiant action, by far the best ive seen. Or felt.
Bartlein barrel. Then again, the rem stainless action with engine turned bolt is almost as good as custom. Smooth as glass and no binding . I threaded the barrel. 24" are already threaded. Im getting almost 3100 fps with factory 180s. Tackdriver with rem 180 corelokt and privi partisan 180s are even better. 4 shots in that photo.
20190520_140115.jpg

Attachments

• 20190927_133730.jpg
    20190927_133730.jpg
    835.3 KB · Views: 79
280AI 140 gr NAB 56.2 gr IMR4166 3110 fps.
2 custom rifles and one factory rifle.

Build a Sherman Wildcat ... 6.5, 270 or 7mm ..... we have built 3 7SS barrels and all three hammer. Get 100 pieces of brass and it will last the life of your barrel of annealed and formed properly. Of the calibers I have worked with, the 7 Sherman Short has given excellent down range performance with the widest variety of powders and bullets available in all three barrels. This is attributed to a very well designed case that is simple to fireform, efficient with powder, and provides optimal velocity performance with the heaviest High BC bullets for the caliber. Finally, Rich will walk you through the process of what you and your smith need from him to chamber a custom rifle that will exceed your expectations. From the reamer to the brass, and initial load development.

First off, Thanks for your advice in advance.

My goal is to have a good shooting rifle to take into elk/mulie camp in 2 yrs. Just trying to get ahead of myself a little.

I'm looking to have a custom build done. Its going to be a Stiller action, detachable mags, barrel will be a mid to heavyweight by Kreiger or bartlien (locally made) stock (unknown), 4-16x scope (unknown) or equivalent.

I would like to find a good magnum type caliber that can handle 700 yd shots on elk and mulies. Currently I have a 300 wsm and 30-06, both factory rifles but shoot very well out to 400, after that, the 30-06 just does not group well, 300WSM can average 3" groups if I do my job (still practicing at 5-700 with my .204).

I know both calibers can perform the task at hand, but, if I am going to have a rifle built I'm just wondering if there are better caliber options. I've read lots of stuff on other posts and I'm leaning towards building a 300WSM or 280AI. Am I missing a caliber or 2 that needs to be considered? Greatest concerns are lack of brass available. In my area, local shops are struggling to keep brass in stock for when I need 300wsm. My next build would be nice to have MORE readily available brass locally (don't care if it's a wildcat as long as parent cases can be locally sourced and fireformed.

Again, thank you for your suggestions.
First off, Thanks for your advice in advance.

My goal is to have a good shooting rifle to take into elk/mulie camp in 2 yrs. Just trying to get ahead of myself a little.

I'm looking to have a custom build done. Its going to be a Stiller action, detachable mags, barrel will be a mid to heavyweight by Kreiger or bartlien (locally made) stock (unknown), 4-16x scope (unknown) or equivalent.

I would like to find a good magnum type caliber that can handle 700 yd shots on elk and mulies. Currently I have a 300 wsm and 30-06, both factory rifles but shoot very well out to 400, after that, the 30-06 just does not group well, 300WSM can average 3" groups if I do my job (still practicing at 5-700 with my .204).

I know both calibers can perform the task at hand, but, if I am going to have a rifle built I'm just wondering if there are better caliber options. I've read lots of stuff on other posts and I'm leaning towards building a 300WSM or 280AI. Am I missing a caliber or 2 that needs to be considered? Greatest concerns are lack of brass available. In my area, local shops are struggling to keep brass in stock for when I need 300wsm. My next build would be nice to have MORE readily available brass locally (don't care if it's a wildcat as long as parent cases can be locally sourced and fireformed.

Again, thank you for your suggestions.
Brass for the 280 AI is easily to make by simply fire forming 280 remington factory load loads in your 280 AI. ps in a pinch 280 Rem can be substituted for 280 AI in the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.