Non .30 cal for everything?

I was also thinking about one of the hotter 6.5mm's... But I would say the 7STW would get a serious consideration as well. I'm using a 30 cal short mag for most, heavy weight 338 for some, with a 6.5WSM at the 'smiths right now.

OP- I almost didn't notice you were a Gillette boy!

I would have to say a 270wsm. Shooting the 175 matrix bullet at 2850. With a b.c. of .700 no need for a bigger caliber in my opinion. This is what I am building for my primary long range rig for everything in north america.

Darrin

Another vote for the 6.5-284. You can load 100 grain bullets for the light work, 120-130 for antelope and deer, and 140 for Elk. With a good hunting load you can get very good velocities out of the 140 grain VLDs and the such. It has high BC bullets available, doesn't eat too much powder and is not hard on the shoulder or the wallet to reload. Also very easy to find a load with a good barrel. A little rough on barrels but that is going to come with anything under .308 that you intend to shoot game at 1000 yards. My preferred deer bullet is the 130 VLD and it drives deer noses into the dirt with fury. I have not taken a very long shot but I have full confidence that with a mv of 3200 fps I have no fear of doing so given oportunity and conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.