.30 cal bullet for elk.

JST

Puting together some new loads for elk this fall. Trying to decide whether to use 180 gr. SST or 180 Gr Accubond. Ill be loading for 300 WM. Any body have any ideas or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

The longest shot you would be comfortable taking should be part of this equation. There is no perfect bullet at all distances.

Jeff

Broz. With the set up I have now. 600 yds.

There are many bullets out there that will work to that distance, some better than others depending on what you like for terminal performance.

Myself I would not even consider a bullet under 210 gr for elk hunting with a 300 win. But I am a believer in heavy for the caliber bullets.

Jeff

Ok. give me a little more Jeff. Why do you prefer heavier???

Because I prefer bullets that fragment and I want enough there to send off pieces through the vitals and still have a good portion left to carry on. This same type bullet has a better chance to expand well at longer distances where velocity is slowed down.

Jeff

EDIT: PS, we killer 5 bulls and several cows last season with a 300 win. From 200 to 800 yards, an antelope at 1285 yards. That same rifle took 19 ,, antelope, deer and elk combined last season and a coyote at 700 plus. All one shot kills.

I'm not exactly of the same opinion as Jeff. I like the accbond's in the 180. I use 71 grains of 4350 with the 180s and get good accuracy and really good velocity. It kills elk dead.

Thanks, I really appreciate you insite. BTW what bullet and load do you shoot? If you don't mind my asking.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts