No Such Thing As An Unintended Discharge

This is how I feel. If you cause the weapon to fire, it's not an accident, it's negligence. The only other way a firearm can fire, is if something mechanically went wrong.
Not sure if I totally buy into this. There are other circumstances during the manufacturing process for example that could cause deviations to tolerances that could create potential for creating a discharge. So, with all the due diligence taken Murphy could still strike. That is why there are law suits out there arguing these "accident".

Do remember the old Winchester Model 100 semi-auto rifle had the flawed firing pin design. Winchester will still send a redesigned firing pin out if, ya call a Ph# and send in the bad one. They would multiply fire and reports of firing when slung on shoulder, no finger near the trigger.

Remington model 600 ADL in .243 Win, I have had this rifle for more than 40 years and it was my first deer rifle I ever owned. I hunted with that rifle from 12 years old until I was about 16. Many years later I decided to get it ready for a friend to use and we took it out to fire and check zero, loaded the mag and first round chambered went off upon closing the bolt. Rifle was pointed down range but scared the crap out of us. We put it away for the day and I latter found the trigger assembly was full of dust and gunk. I replaced the trigger with a timney and all is well. Cheers, Jason

I have a Ruger m77 220 swift with a canjar trigger on it and several years back I went to chamber a round and it went off, luckily I was pointing it down range. Emptied the magazine and closed the bolt on an empty chamber and heard the firing pin click. Took it home and had to find information on how to adjust a canjar trigger, got it to where I could close the bolt on an empty chamber and bounce the butt of the stock on the ground pretty hard before I ever tried shooting it again.

Not sure if I totally buy into this. There are other circumstances during the manufacturing process for example that could cause deviations to tolerances that could create potential for creating a discharge. So, with all the due diligence taken Murphy could still strike. That is why there are law suits out there arguing these "accident".
If it's faulty manufacturing, then it mechanically failed causing the firearm to discharge

It's not always covered by only faulty or mechanical. Feed enuff mags thru an M16 in hurry and if the last mag has few rds left, 20-30 seconds go by and she'll cook off 1 or 2 on her own.

This is how I feel. If you cause the weapon to fire, it's not an accident, it's negligence. The only other way a firearm can fire, is if something mechanically went wrong.
Yep
A negligent discharge is due to negligence by the firer.
An accidental discharge is due to a faulty weapon system.