Accidental discharge in a vehicle

jackem

It happened on a recent trip in my wife's car with her driving. In the passenger seat, I shoved my iPad under the seat to get it out of sight with no idea she had a loaded weapon with the safety off under there.

First we heard the noise, then the came the smell, and it's hard to remember what happened after that but it involved a lot of screaming and crying.

A red mist boiled out from under the seat turning the air and carpet red. About half of a can of bear spray discharged before I realized what was happening and pulled the iPad back out taking pressure off the spray lever.

Luckily, my quick thinking wife got her window down and drove with her head out the window until we could get out of traffic and stop the car.

Since neither of us took a direct hit it's hard to say how effective the bear spray would be on deterring an attacking bear but if you want to get somebody out of your car quickly it will certainly do the job.

Note: Be careful where you put your hands after handling bear spray, even after multiple washings tender parts of out anatomy can detect the residue.

Glad everyone is okay. I hope that there is a long conversation about the proper storage of a weapon forthcoming. Everyone got lucky.

I have a hard time with the term Accidental Discharge, as it is usually a situation where something was not done correctly leading to the weapon firing.

That's a lot better than what I thought was happening when you said you had a loaded weapon that went off. Thought you meant a pistol.

At my work, we call the negligent discharges.

Old friend of mine discharged his 300 Win Mag in the passenger seat of my then new 1997 Dodge truck. Bullet went through floorboard and hit the frame. Deployed the passenger side airbag on his ***. Since he was hunched over trying to drop the hinged floorplate when he hit the trigger, the airbag pummeled him good. Stock cracked his ribs and the skin was rashed up on his right arm and head/face. Also cost him $2000.00 to replace the dash/airbag. My hearing came back after a week or two. 300 Win mag can really "bark loudly" in a regular cab pickup with the windows rolled up.

That time was the second "accidental" discharge I've been within two feet of someone with their brain and booger hook in the wrong spot. Twice more since then (Army) Hope it never happens again.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.